CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Helen M Brennan

Profile:
Re: Is the class model on it's way out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I agree with Andrew that it's a both/and situation.

As I have said before, if you can't accommodate members who want to do something other than the daily WOD, they'll go elsewhere. As a box matures, I would expect more and more members to fit that description.

At the same time, the supply of people who need/want lots of personal attention is effectively infinite. Don't view people who "graduate" from your classes as lost revenue, think of them as advertisements for the effectiveness of your coaching.

Katherine
could not agree more.
My box is moving in new - ish directions. has the following hours now:

Group Sessions*
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri -
5am, 6am, 9:15am,12pm, 5pm, 6pm
Sat - 7:30am, 8:30am

*Weightlifting (O-Lift)*
Mon, Fri - 6pm

*Open Gym*
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri 7am, 4pm

*Masters WOD*
Fri 4pm

*Intro Sessions*
by appointment
Tue, Wed, Thur -
7am

plus there is the Competition Squad times and WODs
Comp Squad Open Gym Times:-
7am-8am, 10:15-11:00am, 1:00-1:45pm, 4-5pm, 6-7pm

so IMHO CFB manages to cover most aspects of CF. there is also access to qualified support for nutrition, injury recovery etc.
all in all I feel fortunate to have CFB as my box- many could learn from their professional and comprehensive approach to CF

Cheers

Helen
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Nick Walters

Profile:
Re: Is the class model on it's way out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J Leon View Post
I know many gyms have open gym times for members to work on skills/do there own WODs.

I don't think I've noticed anything that would indicate a trend towards having CF gyms open like a traditional gym without classes.

The group setting and good coaching are at the heart of an affiliates strengths.

If anything I've noticed more gyms realizing they can charge $200+ a month for their services and still see their membership grow. Good coaching is worth much more than just access to equipment.
Eric, couldn't agree with you more. I brought these two points up in another thread. If you want to work out on your own, go to a globo gym and do the workouts off the mainsite. Good luck with scaling those workouts on your own

I should also mention that I am a proponent of open gym time for individuals to make up WODs they missed, practice skill work, OLY lifting etc... They will always supervised though and an coach will always be available in the event said athlete needs assistance/has questions. Athletes pay a premium for a reason....

Last edited by Nick Walters : 11-28-2011 at 01:44 PM.