CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Becca Borawski

Profile:
My newest article: So You Think You're a Coach?

My newest article on BreakingMuscle.com (wfs) on coaching with intention. I see so often people who call themselves "coaches" but really haven't put much thought into the work at hand, so I shared my thoughts in this article:

"So You Think You're a Coach? - Coaching with Intention" -- http://breakingmuscle.com/coaching/s...hing-intention (wfs)

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Keith Martin

Profile:
Re: My newest article: So You Think You're a Coach?

Pretty good article. Made me think about some things I can do better. Thanx for posting.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Great article! I've never had a coach outside of team sports (as in no weightlifting coach) but now I know what I should expect when I do have one. Come to think of it, my best basketball coaches were the ones who would explain, "We're doing this to develop the footwork and speed needed to be able to turn your defender so you can stop the fast break." That definitely helped motivate us to hit the rather ****tier drills harder because the thought of getting beat on a fast break was not a happy one.

On a non-training note, that's the first time I've read something written by you and I'm a big fan of your writing style - very clear, accessible, concise, and thoughtful. I thought the essay/workout analogy was especially good.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
Pretty good article. Made me think about some things I can do better. Thanx for posting.
You're welcome, Keith. Thanks for reading!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Great article! I've never had a coach outside of team sports (as in no weightlifting coach) but now I know what I should expect when I do have one. Come to think of it, my best basketball coaches were the ones who would explain, "We're doing this to develop the footwork and speed needed to be able to turn your defender so you can stop the fast break." That definitely helped motivate us to hit the rather ****tier drills harder because the thought of getting beat on a fast break was not a happy one.

On a non-training note, that's the first time I've read something written by you and I'm a big fan of your writing style - very clear, accessible, concise, and thoughtful. I thought the essay/workout analogy was especially good.
Thanks, Collin! That's a great analogy from your basketball coach. I think that's a common thread when it comes to good teaching, regardless of the subject matter. And thanks for the compliment, too - I am glad to hear you enjoyed the piece. There's lots more I wrote on the site, too!

On a side note, if there's ever any particular topic you'd like to read more about or have any thoughts/suggestions/feedback - feel free to let me know!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Becca,

How about "What you didn't learn in your Level 1 that you need to learn fast!"

For those of us who don't have the benefit of being surrounded by the coaching staff of an affiliate like CFLA, guidance on how to continue our education forward would be helpful.

HQ seems to be stuck on Level 1 training for obvious reasons. I got a questionnaire about Level 2 stuff but based on the questionnaire it didn't seem like they are thinking about the same kind of stuff I am.

I work by myself, I have to run positive cash flow or I'm out of business. If I had unlimited time or money then it is easy to figure out, but I don't.

Much like the idea of levels for students what about levels of knowledge for coaches?

Thanks for thinking about it.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Fantastic, Brendan - I love that idea. I put it on my list of topics and I am going to brainstorm it. I can see that being a really useful thing and also really fun to write. Thank you!