CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Ryan Brown

Profile:  
Hi all,
I have been crossfitting now for about a month and using the warrior diet. I had great success with it in the past however I have a much more demanding job now (paramedic) and this coupled with the daily WOD and MMA training 3 times a week is leaving me drained and starving. I am planning on starting the
Zone next week but i have run into a problem as far as eating scheduals go.
My schedual is basically 2 12 hour days 2 12 hour nights and then four days off. On my swing day (3rd day of the rotation) I usually get up around 11:00 and then am up until the following morning when i am relieved (06:00, 07:00, or 08:00). Then I hit the sack and sleep till 4ish, get up and get set for the shift that night. Now this obviously screws up the Zone eating scheduals. I know there are plenty of law enforcement/emergency services/healthcare personel on here and I assume many of you have similar scheduals. How do you guys/gals structure ur Zone eating schedual???

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 07-26-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
ryan--i have the same schedule. in addition to the problems you pointed out, we also have the "uncertainty" factor, where as soon as you sit down to eat, the pager goes off. quite frankly, i don't sweat it about eating by the clock. i try to get a couple of 12-15 hour fasts in each week and keep my meals/snacks zone proportions and call it good. some days i eat way more than i should theoretically need by zone calculations. some days i eat way less. i think intermittent fasting is a great way to go for people in our situation. i would also suggest listening to your body. if you are hungry, eat. there is nothing worse than to be counting down the minutes to your next meal/snack when you are trying to take care of a critical pt.

i know you didn't ask about workouts, but if you are feeling tired and run down, there was a great thread on recovery not to long ago. it was titled something along the lines of "is ultimate hurting my gains". eva t. weighed in with some good advice. don stevenson also posted some articles he wrote about surviving shift work on another thread. for the most part, i don't even try to workout on my day shifts. i hit it hard 4-6 out of 8 days. i also give myself a couple of "free passes" every month to ditch workout when a night shift has been particularly difficult.
i hope some of this helps. i'm sure others will weigh in with their experiences.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Ryan, that is quite the screwy schedule. Such the life of a public servant. I also had trouble with the Zone meal timing. With shift work you can't always eat as the Zone RX. I implemented IF and feel much better. I bumped my food blocks up to nearly eight blocks. This keeps me satisfied when I get a call for service and am out a while. I use lengthy calls for service as a 'mini' IF. Play around with Intermittent Fasting along with the Zone.

Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Ryan Brown

Profile:  
Thanks for the replies. I think I may have discovered why I have been so beat lately on a diet which had me so energized before. My IF diet consists of basically a garden salad, a large portion of meat, raw veggies and a protein shake eaten in this order over the course of 4 hours. During the day I would have fruit and coffee or green tea throughout. There really isn't much fat to burn off for energy in that scheme at all. I got by on it b4 probably due to the caffiene and the fact that I was a lab technician/thesis student sitting behind a microscope for 8 hours a day. Now that I've replaced that with working in EMS in a high call volume area the small amount of carbs and coffee just aren't cutting it. Mixing in Zone meals with higher blocks as you two suggest, along with some small fat containing snacks throughout the day may just do the trick. To me Zoning is a hastle and not natural, I dreaded doing it and will tweak my IF regimen to hopefully avoid it. Thanks again for your input and I'll keep you posted with the results.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Ryan Brown

Profile:  
Also Kathryn,
Thanks for recommending those threads. Recovery really isn't the problem, it's just pure laziness and lack of energy lol. However,they were good reads none-the-less. Thanks again
Old 07-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
glad you liked them. good luck with everything.