CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Chris DeCarlo

Profile:
Better To Rx And Lost, Then Never Rx'd Before?

my question is this--

is it better to rx for a slower time or drop weight and things to have a faster time?

i am always close to last were i train, but i try to rx as much as possible obviously not on heavy lifts that will cause loss of form... for example--i can do but pull ups(no band) HSPU(no box)..deadlifts call for 225 which i can do for sure buy may take longer than others,,what should i do...should i use the bands and box to post better time/score?, seams like a bad idea!

these are just general examples and i hope you understand were i am going with this
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Better To Rx And Lost, Then Never Rx'd Before?

It's not the time or score that's the the issue, it's the fact that if you're trying to go fast with too much weight you're a lot more likely to get hurt, develop bad habits on form, or best case be extremely sore the next day.

Using a metcon as an attempt to get stronger is generally a bad idea. Use strength work to get stronger and metcons to work on conditioning. It's hard to improve conditioning if the weight is too much for you to move it fairly quickly and consistently with minimal rest.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I RX everything I can safely do and don't worry about time on the things I can't

When we hit the WOD with 315 lbs for the rx dead lift for 12,9,6 I lower the weight. 315 is close to my 5 rep max and form starts to drop if I try to 'race' through this

I'd rather do 275 or so and do it with good form AND speed

I had to do singles before I could do double unders

There is a difference between pushing ourselves and risking injury over a time that really doesn't matter.

Now if your box offers $1000 for the best time for each RX WOD then perhaps the risk has a value, but while I enjoy beating others I won't sacrifice my wellness for it

Of course if I made it to the finals I'd give all she's got captain!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Willie McLendon

Profile:

I think it is wise to scale down the weights to keep the intensity up. With the small group that I train I don't even post weights for the WOD's and will assign them individually before we get started. I base the numbers off of previous WOD's or their strength numbers for that movement. I woud rather have everyone be able to go all out during the met-con and be able to finish with similar times instead of taking long breaks or letting their form go out the window because the weight is too heavy.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Chris DeCarlo

Profile:

Using a metcon as an attempt to get stronger is generally a bad idea. Use strength work to get stronger and metcons to work on conditioning. It's hard to improve conditioning if the weight is too much for you to move it fairly quickly and consistently with minimal rest.[/quote]

makes total sense..this is what i am looking for --clarity

i was trying to use wod to get stronger/bigger rather than better at conditioning and overall stamina..i like this explanation a lot, separating the conditioning to wod and strength training to other times.

thanks again
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Chris DeCarlo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It's not the time or score that's the the issue, it's the fact that if you're trying to go fast with too much weight you're a lot more likely to get hurt, develop bad habits on form, or best case be extremely sore the next day.

Using a metcon as an attempt to get stronger is generally a bad idea. Use strength work to get stronger and metcons to work on conditioning. It's hard to improve conditioning if the weight is too much for you to move it fairly quickly and consistently with minimal rest.

makes total sense..this is what i am looking for --clarity

i was trying to use wod to get stronger/bigger rather than better at conditioning and overall stamina..i like this explanation a lot, separating the conditioning to wod and strength training to other times.

thanks again
Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Charles Golden

Profile:

It depends on what you're goal is as well. When I started I was fairly strong but really needed to drop some weight so my coach would normally scale some of the body weight movements so that I could keep the intensity up.

For example even after I could string together a couple pullups, he could put me in a band for WOD's so that I wouldn't be stuck doing a couple pullups then taking a break and so on. We did the same thing for ring dips. It worked pretty well considering the weight that I did drop the weight and am now RX'd more than 90% of the time.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I think during a WOD you also have to be willing to sometimes take weight off as the WOD progresses. Today was a great example of that as our 3rd round of 9 handing cleans @ 155lbs was producing terrible form

Ppl desire the rx by their name so badly that the risk of injury vs doing a weight they can handle at the end
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

I like Erics advice and have definitely applied it for myself. I do think however there is a place for heavy in a metcon situation. It depends on the intent of the written wod. Sets of 10 power cleans are likely meant to be relatively light and fast. a WOD with sets of 3 deadlifts are more likely to be heavy. Not always but often. Your trainers should have an idea of the goal of the workout and be able to help you scale up/down accordingly. Additionally we have lots of girls at our box that do very little to no separate strength work whose numbers are going up consistently....sure they'll top out well below their capabilities if they were too do strength work, but it is possible to get stronger with just metcons......for a while anyway.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Also, there's a difference between finishing near last and finishing 15 minutes after everyone else. RX if you can maintain good form and keep the intensity up. If not, scale. If you have little trouble through the beginning of the workout and fall apart in the later rounds you may have a muscular endurance problem more than a strength issue. When I was going to a box, I was the strongest person in my class on every lift, consistently. Yet, I usually finished the conditioning portion of each WOD in the bottom 25%.