CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Yesterday, I tried doing KTEs with a pull-up bar with the rubbery material around it, and punched out 10 reps with ease. When I try doing them on a plain metal bar however, I can't even do one... I'm not sure why.. maybe grip issues?

Would it be better to train with the plain metal bar? Does it matter?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I would say to train where it is the hardest, but that's just me. So I say go for it on the standard steel bar. I have found I have a harder time with KTE's on a straight steel bar when I my palms are facing away from me. When I reverse the grip, it's easier on my shoulders and I have more flexibility without swinging.

There definitely sounds to be some physio issue going on. Was the rubberized bar the kind with the downward bend towards the ends? Is the steel bar straight all the way across? That may have something to do with it. Everyone has some biomechanical quirks with some exercises. Try differing grips and grip widths too.

Have fun.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Ian, yeah it's the rubberized bar with the downward bend towards the ends. And the steel bar is straight. When using the rubberized bar, I'm holding the straight parts that are parallel to the ground though, and not the downward bends.

Hmm I'll try reverse grip and grip widths with both tomorrow and see what happens.