CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Michael Starling

Profile:
Re: Dude Squatting 765 @ Globo Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Mason View Post
Michael, you can dislike his form, but if you deny the fact he is quite strong then you are only demonstrating your own bias and appear jealous.

I do agree the squat is high, but it is still a decent lift in that the guy is pretty strong.

Oh boy.....I'm jealous...OK...

Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Starling View Post
its the internet... calm down tough guy.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Starling View Post
Ok, let's look at this rationally. Can you duplicate the feat? If not, that means the fellow is significantly stronger than you. If that is the case, why would you not be impressed by someone much stronger than you relative to the movement itself? You can think it foolish and or not like what you consider a display of ego, but that should not preclude the fact the fellow is strong and you should at least respect that fact. Your comments seem to indicate something very different?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I probably couldn't even walk 765 out of the rack.

It's a different movement, but that doesn't mean it's not impressive in it's own right. A guy who does a 1/2 squat at 765 can probably do a full ROM squat of at least 500#.

If I saw a guy do an 800# rack pull I'd be impressed too, even though it's not a deadlift.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Michael Starling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
its the internet... calm down tough guy.
Now this is classic....You must have been watching this thread ....Waiting, lurking so you could make this cliche comment......For the life of me I can't understand how your comment applies to me....At what point did I get "tough"?......Perhaps you have trouble sorting words and their proper context...The bottom line is this..If we are talking about someone squatting 765....which I think we can all agree on.......Then this is not a "squat"......If we are talking in the context of someone standing up with 765 pounds on their back...great....he's awesome at it......If you don't like my opinion simply ignore it...

Old 03-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I probably couldn't even walk 765 out of the rack.

It's a different movement, but that doesn't mean it's not impressive in it's own right. A guy who does a 1/2 squat at 765 can probably do a full ROM squat of at least 500#.

If I saw a guy do an 800# rack pull I'd be impressed too, even though it's not a deadlift.
Exactly my thoughts.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Charles Staley

Profile:

I'd call that 1/2 way to parallel, which makes it a 1/4 squat. He might be good for 500 to parallel with all his gear. Raw, maybe 400 if he was lucky. Which means he's not strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Waller View Post
Dude's got 765 on his back, and that's weak? You've got to be kidding me. No, he didn't go ATG, but he got near parallel, and without knowing his goals, training regiment, or competition plans, saying that's weak is pathetic.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Why would anybody care what he could potentially squat? He is strong, he trains, as do we. Lets not belittle his accomplishments/try to boost our egos by picking on his form. His technique is nobody's business but his own.

For the record, I cannot hold 765lb on my back.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Michael Starling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
I'd call that 1/2 way to parallel, which makes it a 1/4 squat. He might be good for 500 to parallel with all his gear. Raw, maybe 400 if he was lucky. Which means he's not strong

The voice of reason..

Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #20
Mat Bryan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Staley View Post
I agree... did you notice how far he walked his feet out? They were a lot wider than even a PL Squat. Holding 765# on your back like that is hard enough... but he did not squat that weight. Just because he got the weight off the rack and did a "squat" with horrible form does not mean he did the weight.
To say he squatted it is to say that someone that is handed 105# dbs while he lays down on a bench. Before he does 3 reps and throws the weight to the ground, is as strong a person the carries that same weight all by himself. Does the 3 reps and sits back up and places them on the ground.