CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Rob McBee

Profile:
I'm reading "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" and I'm trying the recommendation of going one week with total daily carbs held to around 20g. I've been doing Zone/Paleo since last spring so I don't think I'm a "sugar-burner" but I'm just curious and heck, its only 7 days.

Today completes my third day and the author maintains even a full blown "sugar burner" metabolism should be switched over to preferentially burning fat for fuel by now. Energy levels in general and relative to the WOD seem just fine. I waited too long to eat breakfast today and could almost hear the glucagon screaming for me to eat. Mood was bad. 6 egg whites, apple, fish oil, and I felt great. Meals otherwise have been 3-4 blocks protein and nuts, almond butter, fish oil in high quantities for fat. Thanksgiving tomorrow will be a challenge(btw, Happy Thanksgiving to All!!)

After this 7-day thing, NHE works on a cycle where every 3rd day you eat more carbs then restrict carbs for 4 days and 3 then 4 and so on. That part seems unneccesary to me if I'm maintaining Zone ratios with Paleo food choices. This would seem to keep the glycogen stores filled but never overly so with insulin spikes never even being an issue. Any thoughts here because I'm just theorizing based on reading these books(Zone, PaleDiet, NHE)

Part Deux: IF
I've read through the archives on IF and did a general google but am still fuzzy on the protocol. Is there one? I mean other than limiting meals to a 8-9 hour window during the day? Is there a definite "IF Plan" established? One study on rats had them eat one day and totally fast the next. I woundn't/couldn't do that regularly but at random times seems like a good idea.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
IF: Basically, that's it. Limit meals to a small window, and occasionally throw in an all day fast.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I'm going to do exactly what you suggested.

I was looking through a file I keep throwing articles in for later study. Started reading some finally and found Performance Menu #6. Excellent article on IF by Robb Wolf. Every question I had in mind basically was discussed plus some.

I've had great success on a constant Zone/Paleo regime but I excited all over again to add the randomness of IF. I'll resume a bi-weekly check on body comp. and get blood work done early in the new year.

Thanks again Chris, Robb, and CF. I'm truly "standing on the shoulders of giants"
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
So it really is you in that picture then?!!:biggrin:
Old 11-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
Jonas Haurum

Profile:  
On IF i can recommend the book "Maximum muscle minimum fat", By Ori Hofmekler, with Marc Salzma.

http://www.dragondoor.com/maximum_mu...nimum_fat.html
Old 11-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Rob!

Glad you liked the IF piece! I really like eating cyclic low carb. Super easy to implement but I found my CF efforts suffering as they tend to rely on glycogen for fuel.

One way to do it is to time metabolic conditioning the day after a carb load and focus on strength elements with longer rest periods on lower glycogen days. Not a bad way to periodize things.
Robb
Old 11-27-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Rob McBee

Profile:
Alexander, I aspire to one day be strong enough to lift that girl. Or, did you mean is that me on top? No way, I never wear skirts that short.

Jonas, thank you for the link. I'm familiar with Hofmekler having read his 'Warrior Diet' book a few years ago. I like alot of his ideas and willingness to go against the grain.

Robb, thanks for the ideas for met-con days. I was a mess trying to do "Murph" the other day or more so than I normally would have been. I don't want turning green every met-con wod to be the 'new normal' so I'm trying your idea.