CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Let's say someone consistently does the WOD and eats a STRICT Paleo/Zone diet with no cheat meals... except for one day a month, when he has a 24 hour binge, eating and drinking everything and anything he wants. Would this one day a month cause serious health problems or undermine the work he has done? Or would the effects of the binge day be negligible given the other 30 days of clean living? Just curious :-)
Old 03-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Who knows? Who cares? You got to do that once in a while for your mental health. You ain't gonna live forever. Just don't do it daily.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Why be so strict? Let yourself have a little cheat snack a couple times a week. But if you really binge for 24hrs, you may feel to sick to ever want to do it again!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I used to think that too Barry. Frankly, I've discovered that I can't anymore. Everytime I've eaten junk, and by that I refer to anything I don't regularly eat(grains, sweets, too many carbs), not just your typical junk food, I've felt terrible afterwards.

It wasn't psychological either-it was mostly physical.

For me, "cheat meals" reminded me of why I love the food I eat above anything else. Other stuff just feels fake, plastic, and their taste "engineered" to me now...Nothing like the unique and natural taste of a fine vegetable!

MMmmmmm...Portobella mushrooms here I come!:biggrin:
Old 03-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I prefer cheat meals or snacks to a whole cheat day. I feel sick as heck when I do a whole day and it takes me two or three days to get back on track.

Alexander, for me cheat meals don't include fake food. I just don't worry about proportions. Still gourmet but I don't worry about having wine and dessert at the same meal or if I get meat, I get the best I can and eat as much as I want. A lot more fun that running out to dunkin donuts (or whatever)
Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Let me put it this way: my last binge was in Memphis. Tried to hook up with Matt, but he was out of town, so I hung out with my buddy down there.

Wound up in a hole-in-the-wall blues bar at 3:30 in the morning on Beale St. listening to some kick-*** blues after an indeterminate number of kamikaze's, martini's and beers, with a big smile on my face.

Quite honestly, I'd give up CrossFit before I gave that up. Yes, I was a bit fuzzy the next day, yes, I probably didn't do my health any good, but life isn't all about eating your greens.

CrossFit is what you do so you can ROCK in everything else you do. Pain should always be a means, not an end.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
The thing is, I tend to be very bad at moderation. I am drawn towards extremes. It is much easier for me to eat STRICTLY than to have a little treat here and there. Historically, a treat here and there has always lead to more and more treats, more and more often, until eventually I have lost all track of my diet.

Also, I don't really want a treat; I want a BOX of treats. One cookie is like some sort of awful tease.

I really think it would be easier for me to have a day to binge than a little here and there. Now, maybe I am wrong, and I will discover how to be moderate, and I will be a happier person.

But that is somewhat besides the points. My real question right now is: just with regards to physical health, how bad is a monthly binge day as compared to having a treat now and then throughout the month? Are they about the same, or will one way make you significantly less healthy? Thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Travis, I think you would be fine. Barry makes a lot of sense (I actually understood everything he wrote for once:wink:). As long as your binge doesn't turn into a complete spiral, it's not going to hurt you and may even do you some good. Go for it and record what happens, make modifications next time. If you are feeling real guilty, hit a wod and a long run just prior to the binge.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Travis -

Check out a book called The Metabolic Diet.

I think we all understand the harm of chronic raised insulin levels in the body. The Metabolic Diet and other sources suggest that an all out cheat day for someone who is strictly following a Zone-like diet (thus maintaining chronically low insulin levels) is not only not physically harmful but actually beneficial. However, I would be very cautious applying this statement to anyone with a less than strict diet.

That said, psychological benefit is a different story. From that angle I would say do what works. Do what's maintainable.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
I will definitely check out the metabolic diet. I like how it sounds :happy: