CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #1
Mark Fishman

Profile:  
We have just started jiu-jitsu tournament training classes. These classes are an intense 90+ minutes of sparring, cardio, and drills. Does anyone have recommendations of what and when to eat prior to the workouts. Also, how much should we drink during the workouts. Is it better to drink water, Gatoraide, or some combination of the two?

Thank you,
Mark
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
I think food prior to a work out or training session is completely up to the person. I've asked this question in the past on other forums and always got answers ranging from 45 minutes to 3 hours.

Personally I eat a 3 block meal about 2.5 hours before I train but that's just me.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Eric Keller

Profile:

Mark,

IMHO, water would be a much better bet than Gatorade. All those sports drinks contain tons of simple sugars and will put you on a blood sugar/insulin roller coaster without much of a benefit in boosting electrolyte levels.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Noah Silverman

Profile:
I have to agree with Eric. Most sports drinks are just sugar and coloring.

There is a GREAT sports drink, called "Electro-mix". Made by the same people who make Emergen-C.

It contains a bunch of good electrolytes and none of the junk in other drinks. They sell it as a powder that you dump into a water bottle. I love the stuff.

http://www.alacer.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/products.mdb,tbl=products,DB_cod e=108,DBCOMP=ABS,template=/products/returntitle.htm
Old 03-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
personally i found that if i drank gatorade while working out or during a long alpine day it messed up my stomach.

if you do use gatorade dilute it to half strength or more. it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to replace those electrolytes, but if you skipped it and only drank water it shouldn't be a problem since your session is only 90 minutes. if you were running, say an ultra-marathon or something then it would be an issue.

also check out the other sports drinks that are on the market. after realizing that it was the gatorade that i was putting in my camel back on my alpine climbs that was causing the GI upset, i switched to the GU drink mix and problem solved. from my understanding look for a replacement drink with malodextrin instread of sucrose or glucose.

scott