CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
Mark Wilson

Profile:  
Hi all,

Just wondering what some of you paleos eat for breakfast. eating meat at 6.30am doesn't really appeal to me... yet i suppose.

also, i hate eating fruit. i like fruit i just don't like to bite into it (yes i am weird). is it ok to just dump fruit into a blender and drink it? i was thinking then i could put some flax oil into the mixture too.
thanks
Old 10-18-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I'm going to step aside and allow Robb to go nuts on this one. OLE!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Mark Wilson

Profile:  
sounds ominous!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:21 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Mark,

With regards to the fruit issue (I've already listed my breakfast in your other post), The Eades doctors in their book, Protein Power Lifeplan have a recipe for something they call paleo punch. It consists of equal parts of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and water being blended together. Because of the high fibre content, low impact carbs and beneficial vitamin/mineral/antioxidant content, it fits in fine with paleo standards and the Eades claim it makes a good substitution for orange juice in the morning. I've only had one problem with it. When making it by the blenderfull I've found that alot of the seeds and a film of the fruit will stick to the side of the blender. I'm guessing that by not consuming this portion, that I may be missing out on some of the nutrients. Lately I've resorted to just eating the fruits instead of blending them together, but to each their own. Just remember that when consuming the fruit to take in a small amount of fat with it - the Eades say its needed by the body to properly absorb the valuable minerials and vitamins contained in the fruit.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 10-19-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Ryan's right on IMO.

My breakfast consists of 6 eggs (2-3 yolks eaten), and a fresh fruit juice of apples, oranges, kiwi, strawberries, carrots, blueberries, grapes, all blended with their skin. Bananas are also a part of it, however I am thinking of swapping them for more berries due to the high Glycemic Index they have.

That gives me all the protein I need, plenty of minerals and vitamins, and the necessary amount of fat. A kicker breakfast with good carbs, quality protein and tons of taste!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

All cooked together:

- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup milk
- about 3-4 oz meat (usually turkey, sometimes tuna (but my wife and daughter object to the smell of tuna casserole (which is what it smells like) at 6:30 in the morning))
- 1 egg
- maybe some berries over the top
- 1 tablespoon flax oil

(I know what you're thinking, go ahead and say it . . I'm weird. My family already tells me so :happy:)

Dave
Old 10-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Actually David,

I was more like "sounds kewl!" ;-)
Now I'll just have to substitute the oatmeal and milk with something, and the flax oil with olive oil and I'me sure I can come up with something...

(BTW, since I;m very much a blend-guy, I might as well blend all that together and see what i get!)

And BTW, from my experience, the last place anyone would call any niche meal or exercise "weird", is Crossfit...

Overhere, if its weird, its exciting!
Old 10-19-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
My Main issue with blended fruit is that one is able to consume far more fruit than normal...a bit like juicing carrots. if one is being generally conservative as per Ryan's recomendations likely not a problem. Learn to love protein in the morning...it sets the stage for your muscle building/fatburning day.

Personally I start the day with some form of protein, coffee (espresso so thick it can walk around the room by itself, good conversationalist as well...) and some coconut milk in the espresso.
Robb
Old 10-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob - What type of coconut milk do you use? I have not be able to locate a brand that is free of preservatives.

-Jay
Old 10-20-2003, 08:11 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Does coconut oil/milk taste like coconut? I love the flavor of coconut, but other oils that I've tried taste like crap. Where do you get yours Rob?