CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #131
Evan Jackson

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Montesinos View Post
yea but being injured for Playing a sport is reasonable and accepted, but IF YOUR GETTING HURT ON A so called "STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM" that is crossfit, then it is dangerous, want evidence? go to the injury forums on this site. There's a new thread on it like daily.
There's a difference between random injuries and preventable injuries that are foreseen.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #132
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
yea but being injured for Playing a sport is reasonable and accepted, but IF YOUR GETTING HURT ON A so called "STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM" that is crossfit, then it is dangerous, want evidence? go to the injury forums on this site. There's a new thread on it like daily.
People are very amusing with their definition of "sport" CrossFit is my sport, I suck at any game with a ball which is why I was drawn to powerlifting, and then olympic lifting, and then strongman, and then CrossFit. If I get injured playing my sport then I know I am normal. Everyone gets injured at some point.

I can see how it would be easy to pick on a program that is newer and has an injury rate that in my eyes is normal per it's # of participants. My point is you can get hurt doing anything. Yes CrossFit has it's dogmatic followers and it's Kool aid drinkers, but in the end it is all about people finding ways to better themselves.

I like lots of things about CrossFit. I dislike many things as well. What I like more than anything is that I am better at all of the stuff that I did before I started CrossFit.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #133
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Sorry, I don't have much respect for the judgment of someone who risks longterm damage to his/her body and health unless there's something big at stake.

"Big" would pretty much be limited to your life, the life of someone you love, a gold medal, or a multimillion dollar contract.

The Olympic sprinter in your example probably wasn't at risk of injuring his hamstring any worse than it already was by hobbling across the finish line. Continuing to do burpees and dumbbell push presses with a thoroughly jacked up shoulder is another story.
I respect your opinion on this, just like I respect her for what she did. I don't think anyone is wrong, just different points of view. Cheers.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #134
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
I can see how it would be easy to pick on a program that is newer and has an injury rate that in my eyes is normal per it's # of participants.
Rhabdo and Achilles tears are not normal. Those are crazy freak injuries that are so rare I'd say most people didn't even know they could happen . . . before they became a serious issue in Crossfit. I have never heard of rhabdo occurring outside of ultramarathons, car accidents, or boot camp except with Crossfit or when Crossfit-like workouts are employed. World-record-setting athletes are produced in all sorts of athletic disciplines without rhabdo being a significant risk for them or for new people entering those sports--so why is rhabdo an acceptable risk while doing Crossfit?

Quote:
What I like more than anything is that I am better at all of the stuff that I did before I started CrossFit.
You're better at Olympic lifting, powerlifting, and Strongman from doing Crossfit? How long were you training those things prior to Crossfit and what did your program look like? Can you provide evidence of your improvement?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #135
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
Seriously, I do have to give some credit to the moderators for keeping this thread up and running. Here 50% of the posts are slamming the brand and yet they are allowing this to continue.
I agree. Seems a lot more legit than shutting it down, and moving it so as to promote group think.

That or they are all in California at the Games and too busy to check to know this is going on.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #136
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
You're better at Olympic lifting, powerlifting, and Strongman from doing Crossfit? How long were you training those things prior to Crossfit and what did your program look like? Can you provide evidence of your improvement?
Someone tell Pendlay, Broz, Abadjiev, etc they are donig it wrong.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #137
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

Quote:

Well I'd say the key here is "you are injuring yourself". You. Your decision. You can make it a point to scale or even not finish a workout.

Now some people don't. The same peer pressure that pushes a lot of us much harder than we could push ourselves (and helps us get amazing results), is the same peer pressure that won't let us lighten up when we really need to. Also, some of us are too hell-bent to stop. I pulled my groin this winter lifting *before* class. In this ill-fated lifting session, I severely aggravated an injury (that I got lifting a week before **at a globo**). I didn't heed my body's signals that it was still hurting from the week before and that I needed to stop, and I paid the price.

But there are a lot of people in CF who do scale and back down and who don't get injured.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo; 07-27-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #138
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Rhabdo and Achilles tears are not normal. Those are crazy freak injuries that are so rare I'd say most people didn't even know they could happen . . . before they became a serious issue in Crossfit. I have never heard of rhabdo occurring outside of ultramarathons, car accidents, or boot camp except with Crossfit or when Crossfit-like workouts are employed. World-record-setting athletes are produced in all sorts of athletic disciplines without rhabdo being a significant risk for them or for new people entering those sports--so why is rhabdo an acceptable risk while doing Crossfit?

http://www.youtube.com/user/fattymacfatso?feature=mhee YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #139
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I've only been doing CrossFit since January of 2010. I just wanted something different to get me in great overall shape since I was generally weak, but my cardio was pretty strong. I didn't realize how much CrossFit had helped me until this Sunday when we had my 7 year old's birthday party doing rock climbing. I did 5 different climbs, including the only one that was able to do the hardest section, and I thought that was pretty easy. Several of my adult friends also work out and they couldn't come close to keeping up. Some because they just got tired and some because they didn't have the strength. CrossFit does work. If it isn't for you, just move on to something else. Don't quite understand why people that hate CrossFit post on here. There are other sites to go to.
Well that is great (serious, I'm not being sarcastic here at all)! The issue is that yes, it does or can work in that way. But, are you "elite" because of it? The claims made (I'm not saying made by you, but in general) are elite fitness, beating other athletes, and so forth.

Justin

Last edited by Justin Z. Smith; 07-27-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #140
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Common story, but I have to ask; is it the fault of the benching and the LSD running that you didn't get results or is it that you, admitedly, had no idea what you were doing?
Good questions. I fully admit that I had no idea what I was doing at the time with except for running. Before learning about Crossfit, I had no idea what an olympic lift was, why someone would want to jump on a box nor the first clue as to what a non-gymnist could do with rings.

What I appreciate the most about Crossfit is the exposure to the wide-ranging skills AND intelligently programmed metcons (and pure lifts) that utilize those skills. I might have stumbled across those skills individually, but wouldn't have had the first clue as to how they could be blended together to make effective, challenging and fun workouts.

Is it the be all and end all of fitness in my life? No. Has it gotten me results that exceed anything else I've tried? Definitely. There may be other "systems" in which I could find success, but no one will be able to convince me that Crossfit is dangerous, ineffective, inefficient nor elitist.