CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Chris Vaughn

Profile:
I love Crossfit

Unfortunately, for too many years, I was caught up in the numbers game. How much can I squat? Bench? Dead?

Always in the background, I wanted to be free from that, and free from the muscle armor. I've 5'8 and have been as heavy as 260 pounds. Sure, I was "strong" with a 500+ raw squat, 600 dead lift, almost 400 bench... But I couldn't run, couldn't jump, couldn't tie my shoes... You get the drill.

Maybe three months ago, I began looking into Crossfit. It's always been a curiosity of mine. Like... why would anybody do that many reps?

After secretly trying Fran, I was hooked. I denied it at first, as I'm in with the big boys--huge totals, outrageous feats, etc. Many of them suffer from what I said above--limited mobility and stamina.

Now, I feel free. I've dropped almost fifteen pounds in the last couple of months using CF Football (with my own modifications thrown in) as well as a Paleo-type diet. My goals now? Get down to 190 lbs (another 40 lbs to go!), a sub 6 minute mile, and PARKOUR! I'm legally blind, so I'm not sure how realistic freerunning is, but it's fun to try out the moves.

I have never EVER enjoyed lifting like this. I got done an hour ago and I already want to do it again. I do a lot of headstands and handstands to satiate myself between sessions.

I'm 33. I wish I'd done this when I was 23. For too long, the numbers ran my life. Now, I'm free to run, jump, and do whatever else I can. I love to compete, so I will do the amateur strongman contests, but I won't link winning or losing to my self-esteem like I used to.

This all makes me feel like this:
http://youtu.be/QCZHJIzh8gE

Please, if you're interested, read my log and follow along. I've gotten a lot of snide remarks from people writing in because I've "come out of the Crossfit closet", but that's okay. I do what I want now, and I'm the happiest I've been in many years.

Besides, I'm still hitting PRs. I did a 15" Deadlift @ 455 20 times in 60 seconds, so it can't be all that bad!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: I love Crossfit

You're the man Chris
Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Neil Pugsley

Profile:
Re: I love Crossfit

Great stuff fella, i was like you, spent 10years training worrying about how much i was lifting. Loads of my mates on gear and i was clean, just protein, creatine etc. I play a high standard of rugby so get tested so cant afford to take gear really.
I discovered crossfit 3 months ago and only went 3times the first month but have been going 4-5 times a week for the past 2 months and am lovi.ng every second.
Please excuse me as i talk in kgs being from uk LOL
I was weighing 87kg, squat 150kg, dead 190kg, bench 120kg, clean 85kg.
Now i weigh 82kg and in best shape of my life, squat up to 160, clean 95 and dead 200, bench has stayed same.
I am the fittest i have ever been and learned new moves like kipping pull ups, double unders, thrusters and clusters.
I know my weaknesses and look forward to working on them as they slow down my WODS, overhead squats, never done these before crossfit so really need to work on these, as with double unders, muscle ups and snatches.