CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Tristan Lang

Profile:
Checking my Squat and Deadlift

I am looking for some feedback on my squat and my deadlift.

Squat 5x275# (WFS)
Deadlift 5x305# (WFS)

I've generally had trouble with my deadlift relative to my squat, and it goes back pretty far (WFS). I did SS a year ago and the situation got better, but as I leaned out my deadlift to squat ratio went down again, to the point where my previous CFT was 335# squat and 315# deadlift. I've since added glute-ham raises and snatch grip deadlifts as some assistance work, and I also realized that I was too far on my heels rather than my midfoot (which I believe I've fixed).

I finally think I'm at a point where things are starting to click on both of these. My programming consists of a linear progression that was inconsistent for a bit while I followed some programming at my box, but I'm back on with the lifts, sprints, and metcons. My bodyweight is currently 175#, and I'm looking to add some more mass to get my lifts up to 400# deadlift and 350# squat.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Checking my Squat and Deadlift

I notice you DL in Vibrams and Squat in what seem like weightlifting shoes? Can you clarify? And why? I'm very curious. I've been giving those shoes some thought.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Tristan Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I notice you DL in Vibrams and Squat in what seem like weightlifting shoes? Can you clarify? And why? I'm very curious. I've been giving those shoes some thought.
Yep, I'm squating in 2010 Rogue weightlifting shoes and deadlifting in Vibrams. When I did SS I did everything wearing the lifting shoes, and I liked the added stability. A bit after SS I switched over to doing DL in Vibrams or barefoot because I like being closer to the ground, and I certainly feel a difference. I've tried squatting a few times in Vibrams, but it doesn't feel as stable as with the lifting shoes, so I've kept the shoes on since.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Squats I thought were pretty rock solid. Were you squatting outside of the rack for the photo op? For safety reasons, unless you are great at jumping out of the way of the bar, why not squat in your nice power rack?

Deadlifts seemed loose and easy, they seemed to jump up pretty easy. When you pull where do you feel you generate the most power? In your feet? Glutes?? Arms? Back? I wonder if you are lifting mainly with your back and arms and not getting that slow strong press from the legs and hips. I'd suggest tensing your body up in your set up position, take all the slack out of the bar by squeezing and the start pressing your feet hard in the ground to intitiate the lift.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Tristan Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Squats I thought were pretty rock solid. Were you squatting outside of the rack for the photo op? For safety reasons, unless you are great at jumping out of the way of the bar, why not squat in your nice power rack?

Deadlifts seemed loose and easy, they seemed to jump up pretty easy. When you pull where do you feel you generate the most power? In your feet? Glutes?? Arms? Back? I wonder if you are lifting mainly with your back and arms and not getting that slow strong press from the legs and hips. I'd suggest tensing your body up in your set up position, take all the slack out of the bar by squeezing and the start pressing your feet hard in the ground to intitiate the lift.
Great to hear about the squats! They've always been my bread and butter. I'm outside the rack because of the rack for the iron plates that you can see in the back corner there, which makes it impossible to squat with the bar inside the rack. Because of space considerations at my box we had to move them back there, and we typically use spotters on the squat.

Great question on the deadlift. I can definitely say that I don't really feel it in my glutes when I deadlift. I'd have to pay more attention next time I pull, but based on the fact that when I fail I typically feel it in the back and arms, I'm going to guess that that is where I get my power.

Next time I deadlift, I'll be sure to pay attention to this, and I'll try to implement your suggestion. In the past I've gone through the five points of stance, grip, shins, chest up, pull from SS, but I've gotten a bit lazy with them recently. I'll be sure to focus on staying tense and pressing my feet into the ground.

One question, though. You say to pull the slack out of the bar by squeezing...what should I be squeezing? I always thought this just referred to starting the pull.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

You take all the slack out of the system by getting tension on everywhere. Squeeze the bar, back, hamstrings, glutes, lats, everything. No slackness anywhere in the entire system.

I don't see a lot coming from the hips on your deadlift until the bar is clear of the knees. Not sure if that's just the way it is for your anthropometry, or if you should try starting with your hips a bit lower.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
You take all the slack out of the system by getting tension on everywhere. Squeeze the bar, back, hamstrings, glutes, lats, everything. No slackness anywhere in the entire system.

I don't see a lot coming from the hips on your deadlift until the bar is clear of the knees. Not sure if that's just the way it is for your anthropometry, or if you should try starting with your hips a bit lower.
I totally agree.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Tristan Lang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I totally agree.
I'm going to see what I can do about focusing on activating my hips when I deadlift. This is an issue that I've had in the past, so maybe it does go back to my anthropometry. When you guys deadlift, do you actively think about your hips or do you activate your glutes and hamstrings without thinking?

Next time I get a chance to deadlift, I'll really thinking about squeezing my glutes and hams to remove the slack, and I'll get video and write my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Squats: Only comment I would make is that you are taking the bar out of the rack in a very loose manner with a lot of spinal flexion. You want to get nice and tight and set your whole body before you pick it up because that will set you up for the whole set, plus as it gets heavy you can hurt yourself just unracking the weight if your not careful.

Deadlift: Your lumbar spine was not set for any of those reps, thought they looked relatively easy for you. This can be caused by either mechanical issues (short arms, long torso) or simply lack of conscious awareness of what your lumbar is doing. Either way I would recommend really working on getting that spine locked out, and if you find there is nothing you can do you can try playing with sumo stance deads.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Chad Anderson

Profile:

Squat- Are you not gripping the bar??? Got to have a grip on that bad boy to keep your entire upper body tight...chest, shoulders, lats.

If it is painful on your wrists to grip the bar, then you are not set up properly. I speak from experience and once I got the setup right (hand position and elbows) I stay much tighter than the false grip and my wrists do not hurt.