CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Dane Thomas

Profile:
Quick Power Cleans before lunch

I'm trying to find the low-hanging fruit as far as form improvements for my power cleans are concerned. As you can see in the video I've already identified a few obvious possibilities, but I'm open for suggestions.

(Safe for work, if you don't mind laughing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNzjmXafUs

Background information: 46 y/o, bw is 73kg. The first lifts are 70kg and the last is 75kg. This was just a quick few minutes before lunch yesterday, I didn't even change out of my work clothes. My 1RM (warmed up, stretched out, taking things more seriously) is 85kg.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Quick Power Cleans before lunch

Here's what I saw:
You have a disturbing tendancy to jump wide instead of squatting deep.
You're not fully extended at the finish of the second pull, as you noted.
The hips tend to rise faster than shoulders at the start, especially on the last lift in the video.
The elbows are consistently slow to come around. They need to be all the way around already when the shoulders meet the bar. Right now you're finishing the rack position in stages and slowly at that.

As for the center of gravity - it's shifted to the heels as the weight passes the knees. That's good, very good. The bar is close to the body, another good point. You come up on the toes a bit early on the extension but that's very common and not the worst problem in the world of weightlifting.

At this point I would say the most important things for you to work on are finishing the extension, fixing the landing position and getting the elbows into the rack position quicker.

Love the Eleiko gear! Go Sweden!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Dane Thomas

Profile:

Thanks for the help Lincoln!

I only had about 10 minutes to play with before lunch so I didn't do a full warm up or change into workout clothes, so I kept the catches high and the weights low. Even so, you are right about my going wide instead of deep. I am still proportionally weak at the bottom of the catch on a clean (squat clean). Just recently improved my range of motion to even let me squat with half-decent geometry and no heel lift, so I'm still working on stability, balance and strength in a deep catch. Right now my 1RM front squat is about the same as my 1RM high-catch power clean, so as that progresses I expect to be more solid and confident catching lower.

Thanks also for the tip on getting the elbows around quicker. I'll include that in my pre-lift mantra.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
S.S.

Profile:

Like Lincoln said, your elbows are very slow. Your feet are firmly on the ground before they even begin to come around. They should whip around quickly so that your back remains erect.