CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I took my bathroom scale and did some pushups with varying body placement. I learned that pushups with the hands closer to the navel shift more weight to the arms, while placing the hands higher in relation to the body reduces the load on the arms.

Percent of BW on the arms varied from 50% with hands placed very high to 85%+ with hands at navel.

This makes sense from a physics standpoint when seeing the rotational forces involved. Placing the arms lower reduces the radius of rotation and increases the number of degrees the body is raised, both of which increase work done across full pushup ROM. Placing the arms higher increases the radius of rotation and reduces the number of degrees the body is raised, which reduces work across full ROM.

So the moral of the story is, next time someone asks how many pushups you can do, you say "Mu!" which for everyone unfamiliar with Buddhist stories, means that basically the question makes no sense.

Until next time...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Ben what would we do without you?

Did you try changing foot elevation, or doing handstand pushups on the scale, or planche pushups (ha!!)... just curious how these came across.

Hey by the way how many pushups can you do...

Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Sean Harrison

Profile:
^^^ I've seen this avatar of yours Mr.Holmes and am still wondering what those scars are from.
What's the deal?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

What I don't get is how it's possible for people to do handstand pushups with their bodyweight long before they can military press bodyweight. Maybe the military press involves more torso strength in terms of supporting and balancing the weight.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I would doubt these same people could do freestanding HSPU's before bodyweight on the shoulder press machine, though ;)
Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Roger Smith

Profile:
I don't know for sure, but i would guess with overhead press you are also lifting the weight of your arms plus the weight on the bar. With HSPU it's body weight minus forarm weight...

Depending on how the hspu is done, there could be major differences in rom...

(Message edited by rogersmith on November 19, 2005)
Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Sean
I have actually gotten some emails questing to find out exactly that.
They are in fact not scars. Though having scars along those lines would be rather grand.
The marks come from poi... I fire dance [staff, fire breathing, and poi]... and wacked myself in the back one night.
Poi are essentially chains with a kevlar wicking on the end of them. I soak these in fuel and then light them up... chains caught above the head and smacked into my back.
Afterwards, one of my friends spotted the marks and snapped the pic.

Russ
Unless you are doing handstand pushups on bars, the range of motion you go through is far less than an overhead press from the chest. Really to get the full benefits of HSPUs a person should be doing them elevated by about a foot...
Certainly I find HSPU rather easy, popping out 20 is not a problem, while doing 20reps of military pressed bodyweight... not so simple
Old 11-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Fire Dancing in all its glory...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/16248.jpg
Old 11-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Ah I see.
Still looks cool either way!
Old 11-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
In regards to the military press question above:

Ian is right about ROM being a factor. Another factor is where the 'weight' is starting from. Typically in a standing military press the bar is starting at the shoulders, forcing you to start at the most difficult portion of the exercise. In the HSPU, it is up to you to lower yourself into the hole, but you can build up a fair amount of tension on the way down (like squatting). I guarantee that if you put the rack pins at the lowest point of your squat, load up the bar down there, get under and try to stand back up, you'll have a tough time getting close to your max . Likewise, try getting into a headstand (without lowering from a handstand) and pressing out to handstand. Compare this to a regular handstand pushup. Chances are you'll find it more difficult.