CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Xavier Berges

Profile:
how to make various equipment

I live in the Dominican Republic, and there is no Crossfit gym in the area and it is very costly to get equipment because of the shipping from US to here. I have been building a garage gym and up until now have been able to get: a barbell with 150 lbs, a pull up bar, parallettes (PVC kind), a 20 lbs. medicine ball and am in the process of building a 24" jump box (can anybody help in how to construct, metal vs. wood, is it better to pay someone to do it and give instructions, or personal experience on the matter).

I need, or should say really want, rings, more weights, GHD machine, a bench for BP, rope or an alternate to do rope climbs, a rower and well anything else you can recommend me for CF excersices.

Rings, I found some on ebay, at nearly 60 dollares, and you create a harness on the roof and can adjust the height. I have a nearly 10-12 foot roof so I think it might work, suggestions?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Xavier Berges

Profile:
Re: how to make various equipment

Weights, they are very expensive to get and bumper plates sell for very high prices, is there any alternative or which would be a decent price for bumper plates and an olympica bar.

GHD machine, I have no clue. Can I build one, whats a fair price?

Bench, should i get a carpenter, how much is too much money?

Rope, ive read a towel is a good subsitue, ideas?

Rower, should i just substitue with the SDL or any other?

dollars* as you can see i have written all my doubts please comment on any aspect of this please, and have in mind where i live and few options I have found. Thank you very much
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Berges View Post
am in the process of building a 24" jump box (can anybody help in how to construct, metal vs. wood, is it better to pay someone to do it and give instructions, or personal experience on the matter).
http://journal.crossfit.com/2006/09/...-brigham-1.tpl

WFS
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
I built those boxes and they are great. Here's a link -wfs- to a thread from a couple of days ago with some DIY rings. http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=49271

Search this forum for "DIY" or "home made". You'll find lots of helpful info. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Rings + Parallettes = All the upper body strength equipment you ever need. Cheap DIY ones can be made but $60 for some real quality ones is well worth it. A bench press costs more money than it's worth, and takes up a lot of space and you can only perform a couple different variations of the same exercise on it with questionable overall fitness benefits when compared to simple ring and floor BW exercises. A squat rack with an option for bench press height would be more useful, and there are also several good threads in here on how to make cheap ones yourself. Get about another 150-200 lb of weight if you're into olympic lifting (perhaps more for power lifting) and that should be all the weight you ever need, of course depending on how big you are. A dipping belt is also very valuable once you make it to intermediate and advanced ring variations. Plyo boxes are cheap to build and great as others have mentioned.

This (WFS) CF Journal (get the $25 subscription it's so worth it) article on building your own garage gym is very helpful, but it will ultimately be up to you to decide what equipment takes priority and is worth the money for what type of training you like to do. I personally will avoid big purchases like a rower or real GHD until they somehow become absolutely necessary, and you can really do a lot with quite little resources if you're committed and creative. Search the forums everything here has already been discussed a lot.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Fern Webb

Profile:

another archive thread (WFS)
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ghlight=sinnet

This one shows how to weave/braid a climbing rope of about 1" diameter out of thinner cordage. I made one out of a 9/16" rock climbing rope and it works great

You could make a wooden plyo box using the plans posted above, but just make it much narrower in one dimension and it will double as a BP bench.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

I'd agree on the bench--useful item but not worth the cost and space if you're on a budget. I accept the lower range of motion and do floor presses instead (also safer if working out alone).

I know an oly set and bumpers are expensive... but put some priority into figuring out how to get them. You don't need a full set of the bumpers to begin with (conventional wisdom seems to be that you can put as much iron plates as bumper plates without too much trouble) but get an olympic set. I did the "homemade equipment" route for some time and getting the oly set was significant.

The 20# medicine ball can be done with a basketball, a funnel, sand, and a "tire plug" kit (this message (WFS) is a good description). Actually see the FAQ (WFS) of course.

With an oly set and some rings, though, (and a good pullup bar is nice even if you have rings) and a place to run, you are well on your way to doing CF exercises. I reference my informal pie-chart survey of equipment used in WODs over a decent period (WFS):

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?c...,00ff00,0000ff
Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
Gavin Steel

Profile:

some links I have saved in my favourites on my computer for homemade fitness equipment......All links WFS......

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13564 (wooden rings insted of PVC...much better...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rvPYabrD_A (an alternative lifting platform...more work however you can safely dump iron plates on it...)

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/index.htm

And as for the GHD...listed below are instructions for an attachment to add to your homemade plyo boxes alllowing you to do GHD situps and back extensions.....And the wooden plyo boxes are easily made..Im a welder to trade and hate woodwork and I managed it!!

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48890 (wouldn't let me put attachment in hence link to another thread..)

Have fun building stuff
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Xavier Berges

Profile:

Thanks, guys. I have up to now: A 15 pound bar with 135 lbs, a 20 lbs. medicine ball, a pull up bar, an improvised lifting platform (i use old mattresses to drop the weight on, very effective btw), im making a plyo box this weekend as well as plan on purchasing pvc rings (xfitrings). I think with this I can hold on for a couple of months while I save up to buy the rest. My priorities would be, from now on:

1. Squat rack, with modifications for bench press and dead lift, as well as improvising a bench
2. Olympic weight set w/ bumper plates
3. Improvise/buy a GHD machine (if I can make a lower cost one it goes up in the priority list)

with these i believe i have the basic necessities of a cross fit home gym. later on (luxury items), i will try to purchase a rower, set up a heavy bag, get heavy tires and a climbing rope (can do this now, with ingenuity).

So what do you guys think of my priorities based on personal experience and what other luxury or non luxury gym items do you recommend for the future. Thanks a lot!