CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Dane Thomas

Profile:
160 square feet for a gym

Here in Sweden it is legal to build a 15 square meter/160 square foot building on your property without obtaining a permit or needing an inspection.

We've got a spot in the back corner of out lot that would be perfect for a gym, so I'm trying to figure out how to make the best possible use out of that amount of space for year-round use.

One challenge will be that the highest point of the roof can be no higher than 3 meters (9.8 feet) above ground level. It will be possible to sink at least a portion of the cast concrete floor a bit below ground level to get the necessary clearance for butterfly kipping pull-ups and overhead lifts, but I'll have to install something outdoors for high ring work during the non-winter months.

In any case, since we are in the fantasizing stage at this point, with no existing structure to limit equipment placement, I'd like to get some input on what the ideal disposition of the available space might be.

My basic thoughts are as follows:

Full-coverage rubber floor matting over a lifting platform-grade floor (reinforced concrete slab with wood overlay)

Olympic bar and bumper set

Safety stands for squats and presses

Pull-up bar and climbing finger board, with rings installed at the point of greatest vertical clearance for muscle-ups

Dip station

Concept II rower

Kreitler rollers for winter cycling training

The medicine ball, plyo box, abmat, jumprope, paralletts and other equipment can be stored on shelving to one side and brought out as needed. I have no problems limiting the windows on two adjacent sides (facing away from our lot) to openable slits high on the wall, but I'd like to have openable windows facing into our lot on the other two sides.

Any input from those who have had similar projects would be appreciated!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Re: 160 square feet for a gym

Hi Dane,

It sounds like you are on the right track. One thought I have is build the gym according to what you plan to do. If you follow the main page wods, think about what equipment is used more than others.

Sunday's Filthy Filthy notwithstanding, most of the wod's can be accomplished with very little equipment: a pullup bar, an olympic set and floor space. Mark out 400/800/1600m runs for that part.

I started with 120 square feet so planning was important, I only put in what was necessary to follow the main page, as that is what I choose to follow. I've since been able to double that space and it feels like heaven. It's still mostly open space, though. Storage is critical, I just move in and out what is necessary for the day's workout.

My gym is in the basement and ceiling height is only 7'6" to the rafters. My rings and pullup bars are set parallel to the rafters so the finished movement has my head between the rafters, but it works. It also helps that I'm 5'8". A six footer would have problems in my gym, espcecially for anything overhead such as OHS and snatches.

So back to your original question: Here is what I absolutely would have to have to start in a small space:

Pullup bar
Oly bar and bumpers
A timer
A place to run
A white board
Music
Chalk

From there:
something to jump on
Dumbells or some KB's
Dynamax ball
Rings
Rower
GHD

That does it. Pretty much everything else is a luxury or a personal preference. For me the luxuries are: multiple pullup bars and rings, extra bars and plates, fractionals, rubber mats, multiple D-balls and Dynamax balls, training bar, big speakers but I often have several people or my kids working out at the same time.

Good luck and have fun, David
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Dane Thomas

Profile:

David,

Thanks for your well-considered response!

My primary goal is to be able to follow the daily WOD's, with the space and equipment to support some indoor rowing and cycling interval work during the winter. I'm 5' 10" and I'd like the space to accommodate even taller guests, so I'll need a little more headroom for overhead work.

For running I've got a gravel soccer field 30 yards from my backyard, and an extensive network of paved and unpaved bike trails makes it easy to walk, run, ride or inline skate to town, work, training or recreation.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

Dane,

It sounds like you really live nearby heaven

I love your idea and think that you will be able to train everything with the setup that you have in mind.
Go and train your fingers on that hangboard
Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Dane Thomas

Profile:

Thijs,

It is really nice this time of year, but wintertime is another story...

It is also a bit rough when it comes to finding decent deals on equipment. High shipping rates, limited selection and 25% VAT on new stuff makes that part perhaps the most challenging from a logistics standpoint. Luckily for me there is plenty of progress remaining to be made with nothing more extensive than a chinning bar and abmat.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

I know what it's like, those high transport rates.
i ordered 2 abmats a few months each costed me 25 euros, but the transport costs were 30 euro...

Therefor All I have to search for are real bumper plates (not rubber coated ones), but because of the weight, the shipping is always very expensive.

I saw a documentary about the hospitality in Upsala yesterday, damn Sweden is beautifull, those lakes... Would love to go for a run there...
Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Henry Miller

Profile:

If you are going to hire your floor, check around first to see if someone will do rubber. In the US we can get tar running tracks (not cement) that have a rubber surface, which is really nice for running (I haven't been on one for a long time so I can't say if they are good for other crossfit work - I know they don't allow cars on them, not even ambulances in an emergency). It would be worth checking into seeing if they will put in a rubber floor as part of the installation. It would be bonded and seamless, so hopefully it would last longer than floor mats, not to mention look nicer.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Dane Thomas

Profile:

I'll most likely do the flooring with a contractor friend of mine who has done a retaining wall for me in the past. He has got the tools and supply contacts, and I tied enough steel and poured enough concrete on summer breaks to remind me why I was in college in the first place (so I wouldn't have to do that kind of work for the rest of my life.)

The poured rubber sounds a bit too pricey and untested for what I am looking for. Epoxy-coated concrete, covered by cut-to-fit particle board and thick matting should do a good job of handling/protecting anything that I might drop on it, as well as being replaceable when the need arises.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Linus Hector

Profile:

Im living in sweden aswell and trying to figure out were to train crossfit and i agree with you about the hard time getting proper equipment. If im in STHLM any time I would love to see your progress.

Linus