CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Jack Gayton

Profile:
First couple weeks following paleo diet

I recently came across an intersting article while searching the performance menu boards.. See below.

I've been following the paleo diet for a couple weeks now. This is actually my second time attempting.. Today, I came pretty close to giving up, which would have been disappointing to me as I really feel like this way of eating / living is what I want.

Anyway, I've felt very run down lately. I had mentioned this in another thread and it was suggested to add some additional fat to my diet, but I was just beat.

I have felt listless going into workouts, I stay sore for longer and am just overall unpleasant to be around. This was a similar to how I felt a few months before when I originally started eating Paleo. That time, I bailed, this time I figured I should do some research.

I came across this article and lends some credence to the "initiation period" people seem to go through when giving up processed foods. A couple other people on the boards have mentioned a similar feeling to what I've experienced.

I will probably alter my workout schedule slightly from the 3 on, 1 off to maybe 2 on, 1 off or 1 on, 1 off. I figure in a couple weeks, I can get back to business as usual.

Since it was on the PM boards, I'm sure it's floated around here before, but I thought if there was anyone out there struggling like I have been, it may shed some light. If anyone has had similar experiences, I'd love to hear.

thanks as always..

wfs
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Re: First couple weeks following paleo diet

Jack

Thanks for posting that article. It is a good read.

I am reading "Paleo Diet For Atheltes" W/F Safe: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Ath.../dp/1594860890 at the moment. I think it makes sense. They suggest that for peak athletic performace would should in fact take carbs before during and just after excercise.

May be worth a read for you.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Jaime, I'll check it out. I actually was in barnes and nobel yesterday looking for the book. They only had the "paleo diet" which I believe is the same author. I read through it, but felt like most of the info is already on the web.

The diet, geared towards athletes, is more what I'm interested in, so that would be a good read.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Jack,

The Paleo Diet is the same author: Loren Cordain. Be aware that the Paleo Diet for Athletes is primarily directed at the endurance athlete, so the carbs before, during, and post work-out discussed above are aimed at replenishing a significant depletion in muscle glycogen resulting from relatively long endurance work-outs. Because CrossFit work-outs are short, I think that this is much less of an issue for CrossFitters.

What was your diet when non-paleo? Was it high in carbs, especially refined carbs? The paleo-diet may or may not be low-carb depending on your intake of fruits (especially) and vegetables, particularly higher carbohydrate sources like sweet potatoes. Your body may be going through a period of adaptation from very high carb to low carb. Try some higher-glycemic carbs like sweet potatoes after working out to see if that helps.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Christine Crawford

Profile:

The book titled Paleo Diet for Athletes IS geared toward endurance athletes. If you are into Iron Man, ultra running or ultra cycling and similar endurance sports, it is well worth the purchase price. Since following some of the guidlines detailed in the book, I'm able to train harder more frequently (although I'm nursing a bum ankle right now).

Good luck,
Christine
Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Jack,

The Paleo Diet is the same author: Loren Cordain. Be aware that the Paleo Diet for Athletes is primarily directed at the endurance athlete, so the carbs before, during, and post work-out discussed above are aimed at replenishing a significant depletion in muscle glycogen resulting from relatively long endurance work-outs. Because CrossFit work-outs are short, I think that this is much less of an issue for CrossFitters.

What was your diet when non-paleo? Was it high in carbs, especially refined carbs? The paleo-diet may or may not be low-carb depending on your intake of fruits (especially) and vegetables, particularly higher carbohydrate sources like sweet potatoes. Your body may be going through a period of adaptation from very high carb to low carb. Try some higher-glycemic carbs like sweet potatoes after working out to see if that helps.
Scott, Thanks for the advice. I don't intend on doing much endurance work except for the occasional 10K that comes up on the main page, so I won't really concern myself w/ the carbs before or after. Based on everyone's comments, I'll probably save my $ and skip the book.

My diet before paleo was decent. Fairly close to zone, but more by accident. I was getting the bulk of my carbs from whole grain breads however. Besides the occasional cheat meal, I avoided refined carbs and I've never really had much of a sweet tooth.

Now that I'm consuming mostly veggies and some fruit, my carb intake has dropped off but I'm focuing a lot more on eating my vegetables. Mom would be so proud.

I think a lot of it is mental. I would feel a little sluggish and become ultra-aware of the dip in energy, leading to a negative overall feeling. Since reading up a little and seeing that many people have had similar experiences and it passes, it has helped. Just knowing that has seemed to help me out.

Thanks everyone..
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
Scott, Thanks for the advice. I don't intend on doing much endurance work except for the occasional 10K that comes up on the main page, so I won't really concern myself w/ the carbs before or after. Based on everyone's comments, I'll probably save my $ and skip the book.

My diet before paleo was decent. Fairly close to zone, but more by accident. I was getting the bulk of my carbs from whole grain breads however. Besides the occasional cheat meal, I avoided refined carbs and I've never really had much of a sweet tooth.

Now that I'm consuming mostly veggies and some fruit, my carb intake has dropped off but I'm focuing a lot more on eating my vegetables. Mom would be so proud.

I think a lot of it is mental. I would feel a little sluggish and become ultra-aware of the dip in energy, leading to a negative overall feeling. Since reading up a little and seeing that many people have had similar experiences and it passes, it has helped. Just knowing that has seemed to help me out.

Thanks everyone..
I had similar experiences as well. I actually bought Paleo for Athletes. If you training more than once a day or doing serious strength work in addition to your WODs you may want to consider some pre/post training carbs otherwise it probably isn't necessary.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Nick Papapetrou

Profile:

I think it would take you a fair bit of time to be fat adapted. For now I would say add in more fat at the end of your meal and then slowly pare it back until your just at the point of satisfaction. As Art would say. You just started it, give it time. After so many years, your body is screaming for refined carbs, which includes whole grains. These are also refined, whole grain or not.