CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #2351
Chrissey Barba

Profile:
Re: The Erin Experiment

Amis Does Brunch???
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #2352
Erin Davidson

Profile:

AMIS DOES BRUNCH!!! And it was ENTIRELY empty in there - I vote this for the next post-WOD anything in the morning on the weekend

-----------------------------

TUESDAY, 7.10.12

Snatch, up to 55kg (failed 3x at 57kg). 55kg flew up and was placed well except maybe a little crash-ey. So much that my wrists hyperextended a little bit when I caught.

Clean and Jerk - up to an easy 69kg but 71 was nooooot happening. The Clean, or the Jerk. Oof.

------------------------------

WEDNESDAY, 7.11.12

5 hours of sleep. Coached the morning.

Around 230pm: FRONT SQUAT, up to 193lbs. - fail on 198lbs. (max from the old space 200lbs.) - this is pretty telling only because I've been having trouble standing up from 74kg (my best clean as of yet that I've been able to repeat a few times).

Then, 3 x 3 triples @ 163lbs. for speed and tried to focus on getting REALLY low in the squat (because that's where I am anyway) for the clean. The goal here is to work up to being able to triple 185lbs, and single 225lbs at some point before December (hahahaha). So I guess, at some point next week - I'll try to hit 175ish for a triple, I think I've done 170x3 at some point. For the record, my weakness in the front squat here is right about above parallel.

530pm - Rowing Class (yay taking a regular class - AND with MEGARAMOS!) - Liz filmed me and says that I should pay attention to see if my split changes when I use oooohhhh BOTH sides of my bodies (I always pull to the right - my side of the boat, my side of the court, I just really like the right side of my body).

I'm very proud of myself for not grabbing my headphones here - admittedly, the boredom of longer monostructural efforts is what I'm afraid of. There's certainly a time and place for headphones but I know that the best athletes don't need them.

1 : 1 Work to Rest

1500m - 7.14.3
1000m - 4.34.4 (I think)
500m - 2.07.4 (little bit of giving up here...500m scaaaares me)

Liz had me test out where my pace was was different stroke rates (27/25/23) - I seem to favor 20 to 21 s/m unless I'm actually rowing a 500m in which case I occasionally row 23-25. That said, I really can't move at 27. I'm kind of wondering whether this means I should change my damper setting or learn to pull faster from the catch when I am there - but this has always been an issue for me. Conclusion: Rowing Class = WORTH IT

------------------------------

THURSDAY -

Rest day (I think) because I've been tinkering around at home with work. I'll attempt to go on a run tonight if the weather cooperates... and hopefully lift Friday afternoon - then train with the Advanced Team on Saturday - sprint on Sunday morning and maybe CROGA plus a little regular wodding - depending on how I feel.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #2353
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Rested fully on Thursday.

FRIDAY.

530-730pm OLY.

Hmm - this seems such a very long time ago - but I believe I worked up to 54kg (was sharing a platform with Arrus?) on the Snatch, and Clean and Jerked up to 71kg and then just got TIRED. It was a weird day.

RDL - 65kg, 70kg, 75kg, 78kg (for triples - and for the love of my hamstrings). This is heavier than last time but sooooooooooooo very heavy.

SATURDAY.

CLEANED ALL THE THINGS (but not barbells). Then...

PRAX.

Gymnastics work amounted to me figuring out that I really need to work more ROM into my HSPU AND I need to use paralletes more often (banded is cool, yo).

BROAD JUMP - I did a few, but I didn't measure. That's dumb.

The Gamut
2 min on / 2 min rest
Row for calories - 22 (dogged it, cause I had not the warm-up)
Box jumps (24") - 27
Toes to Bar - 36 (could have done at least 40).
Ring Dips - 20 (kinda weird... because in my head 20 ring dips takes a lot longer than 2 minutes...)
American kb swings (1.5 pd) - 33 (considering the hamstrung-ness, this was not bad)

OUTLAW WOD:

3 Power cleans at 120# (Mens' Bar)
50 DU
15 KB Thrusters (16kg)
6 pc
50 du
12 Thrusters
9 pc*
50 du
9 Thrusters

Time : 1406 - this is a workout I should do in sub 10 (really - you know, in my head). I repped the 120 which was cool - cause I've never done that - double unders weren't bad - I was just winded. Thrusters were ok - I repped the way I wanted to - 5/5/5, then 6/6, then 5/4. Every time I do these they get better... but I also hope that my forearms will not be bruised for forever as they have been.

SUNDAY.

Sprints at the track!

5 x 100m - I was timing folks but my best was 14.6, I think? I hovered around 17ish for some of them as well. It's hard to run and not hit the damn button on the timer.

AMRAP in 12 minutes, 4 Rounds 400m Run alt. 50 Air Squats:

I got 2 Rounds + 20 squats in 12 minutes. I estimate that I would have finished at 20 or right under. The last set of squats was strange. I normally feel with air squats that you can do more than you think you can if you get a particular lightness into the movement - that happened to me in the 3rd round, but I could NOT make it happen in the 2nd. Oy.

Some CROGA-ish stuff plus taking pics of people at the park (running over there, running to brunch)

MONDAY.

Holy Moly my hamstrings.

So, I rowed to try to loosen things up instead of doing OLY. I used the format of the CFE WOD for today (ours).

It's a TABATA ladder: 1 minute on/ 50 seconds off/ 1 minute on/40 seconds off/1 minute on/30 seconds off/ 1 minute on/ 20 seconds off/ 1 minute on/ 10 seconds off/ 1 minute on aaaaand then back up the ladder. I ended up rowing about 2300m - and I did feel better after I was done - so that was relieving.

CROGA was good.

GYMNASTICS later that night was really fun. I actually can't wait for Saturday because I'd like to go again

Handstand to Straddle practice. - so much fun.
Then: 5 Rounds for time of: Handstand to Straddle, 5 reps. Dumbbells Overhead Hold, 45 seconds, 12kg overhead in each hand. V-ups, 15 reps.
Finished in 17 minutes.

TUESDAY.

ADVANCED OLY. Power Snatched up 54kg. Cleaned - 72kg - even though my hamstrings were sooooooooore. I was supposed to Back Squat and I wussed out or something. Tried to think more about keeping my weight on my heels as long as possible.

With Cathryn and Morgan:

AMRAP in 12 minutes - 3 HSPU, 3 Ring Dips, and 20 American KB Swings (1) - I got 5 rounds and 3 HSPU, I believe? Plus - I didn't start until 2 minutes in because I was TRYING to do more ROM on HSPU... I think after the dumbbell holds on Monday it's just not happening. Didn't rest on the kb swings though and that is a very good thing.

WEDNESDAY.

Rest day. Got a massage with Meghan's person - that was good. Got a mani/pedi. Ha! And of course - the entire time my forearms and shins were being massaged I just kept thinking, "THOSE ARE BRUISES." Oh well. It was still really good.

Also, went out for my Dad's 60th birthday and had a little gluten - feeling a little weird this morning as a result and my allergies were BANANAS last night. GLUUUUTEEEEEEN is the
Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #2354
Angie Marfisi

Profile:

Yah for Mani /pedi
I wonder what goes through real life peoples heads when they see us for Mani / pedis and we have bruises or specifically ask them not to shave down the callouses too much. Tues I was at the dr an she saw I had a chest bruise (from cleans , as one gets) and she asked what it was from and I was like oh clean and jerk. Then I was looked at like an Alien and then I found myself demoing c&j 's with a pen. Pretty sure , sure wrote "crazy" in file
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #2355
Erin Davidson

Profile:

With a pen? With a PEN? Now I'm trying to picture this happening - and imagining how I might have done it differently... and EXACTLY how Record would explain it vs. Miller, Chrissey, Morgan, et al.

We should probably come with pamphlets about CF to the Dr. as it is.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #2356
Chrissey Barba

Profile:

(1) I demand that you program continuous deadlifting cycles until I pull 300

(2) I love days when you go on a tear commenting on everyone's logs

and

(3) the only time I've ever had to explain a clean & jerk, it was to my parents and I just pulled up a youtube video of Donny Shankle on my phone (and definitely let them believe that I lift just like he does).
Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2357
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
(3) the only time I've ever had to explain a clean & jerk, it was to my parents and I just pulled up a youtube video of Donny Shankle on my phone (and definitely let them believe that I lift just like he does).
Clearly you are much smarter than I. I showed them a video of me failing and Heckman flipping over his head while dumping 225lbs. HMMMMMMM
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #2358
Liz Edmonds

Profile:

Yay endurance!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #2359
Erin Davidson

Profile:

THURSDAY and FRIDAY

BAAAAD allergies on Thursday kept me nearly incapacitated. I think I did something in the AM but I can't remember.

Then Friday I had the whole host of little thing going on that kept me from training. Then Friday I got up from the couch (pretty big deal, I know) and felt a CRAZY pull in my quad/adductor. Fun times. I still blame sprinting when i haven't in a while... but I also blame not training - one HUGE thing that has trained in my understanding on how the body works is that we were never really meant to have rest days in the sense that most people think of them.

We evolved to move a little bit (at least) every day - and our muscles, mind, hormones, etc. seem to thrive off this as far as I can tell.

SATURDAY

Leg was worse today - so rested again... iced - tried to move it - blarg

SUNDAY

Oly - took it real light. Snatch off the boxes, up to 50kg.

Then, I think we had something going on and I had to stop early.

MONDAY

Advanced Oly in the AM - but had to stop - too much flinching going on due to leg. Iced a bunch again today and took CROGA (helped!)

Then Gymnastics at night - work with parallete HSPU negative and kipping HSPU. Still working on kicking up to a free-standing handstand and figured out that I need to tuck my chin WAY earlier if I expect things to work properly - I love Gymnastics because I feel like all the little things really make a huge difference

Worked on kicking up to bridge on the wall - this is pretty scary for me as I FREAK out whenever I'm hyperextended through the L-spine (even if I'm not and I feel like I might be). Having new member Mel around was really helpful - she was spotting me and is actually pretty brave herself (ex-gymnast) and helped me to feel better about moving further away from the wall.

Then - the metcon - if you can call it that... because I was sloooooooow.

AMRAP 10 minutes: 3 wall walk ups (these are so much harder than you think), 5 bridge kickovers (to wall), 10 (I think) Toes to Bar - I almost got 3 Rounds, and practiced a straight legged kipped T2B (felt good).

TUESDAY

Slept 5 hours (it's ok I napped later).

Coached in the AM and then, ADVANCED OLY - even though I knew this would just feel weird - I just felt like my legs needed to be moved.

Snatch - could only really go up to 45kilos, maybe 47kg and it just felt strangely placed - I couldn't do the movement correctly so I went back to a load where I could. Interestingly, my set-up stance for the Snatch is admittedly a little wider than the clean and as such, for me to create tension in this position definitely takes more control which is what I was doing to keep myself from feeling pain... It's funny how the body fixes itself if you let your mind try different things too.

Clean and Jerk - made 70kg, and felt the jerk bothering my ability to stabilize - it was weird, like I would plant my feet but they felt like jello. SO, I kept up with the clean because that felt good. I think I went 73kg, 75kg (MADE IT, PR!) and then 77kg 3x - and I was REALLY close, but I have this really bad habit on heavy cleans of sitting really low... but not continuing the pull ON the bar to get underneath it. In retrospect I feel like I could/should have gone 76kg only because at this stage of the game - meeting the bar does become a factor... That said, 77kg ALMOST is CRAZY - I've NEVER felt that I could almost make that pull at all!

Then I practiced (a little bit) strict muscle-ups with Record - I REALLY love the way these make me feel - strong, mobile, and prepared.

Did the noon (yay taking regular class!) - I love the Straddle Headstand and loved seeing people have a go at it today. Pressed up to 40lbs. on each arm - my right arm is silly strong compared to my left... today I realized (after 6 years of dumbbell pressing, that if your hand is turned in just a little bit, your shoulder will follow and screw the press - fun times.

METCON: 3 Rounds: 15 HSPU/50 Double Unders - 1026

15 HSPU is veeeeery different. To a fault, I generally stay away from high-rep pressing/overhead work - this is honestly, because I know most folks can't handle the small faults we all make when doing these movements - whereas, in a pull-up...well, you can screw things up and injure yourself here too - but not NEARLY as readily. That said, exposure is a good thing. I'll be curious to see how everyone recovers from this.

I need to work on sticking to consecutive DUs EVEN.THO.THEY.HURT.

Sushi AND eating out at Nina's restaurant Zinc... a little too much dairy for one day and my allergies are acting up again - icing the legs and then off to bed. I WANT TO SWIM BEFORE THE WEEKEND! And, I'm so excited to be going to Iceland to see these people (WFS - some cursing?)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #2360
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
THURSDAY and FRIDAY
Then Friday I got up from the couch (pretty big deal, I know) and felt a CRAZY pull in my quad/adductor. Fun times. I still blame sprinting when i haven't in a while... but I also blame not training - one HUGE thing that has trained in my understanding on how the body works is that we were never really meant to have rest days in the sense that most people think of them.

We evolved to move a little bit (at least) every day - and our muscles, mind, hormones, etc. seem to thrive off this as far as I can tell.
Yup. Both are to blame. If I don't at least do some stretching on my recovery day, I'm a hurting unit the next day. On the getting back into sprinting front, I was given some advice that has worked well for me in my old age: start out by sprinting uphill. You get a similar benefit for force development, but your strides are naturally shortened, limiting the potential for causing the injuries that occur when you work hard in the extended range-of-motion, which is not found with most other forms of conditioning work, whether that's prowler pushing, longer runs, or even a series of would-be sprints mixed in with some barbell fun or pullups.