CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Anti-Slip Tape as Hand Protection for Pullups

I stumbled on a new way of protecting my hands today while doing Lynn.

After two sets of 20 kipping PUs, I knew I had to do something to protect my hands. I have some wide medical tape I have often used in the past, but I couldn't find it. I tried wrapping them with duct tape first, and it provided good protection, but the wide tape made my hands so slick I could hardly hold on. (BTW, I do my PUs from a swingset with a very broad crossbar - I can't close my hand around it.)

After falling off a couple times, I added a strip of anti-slip tape (it has a kind of sandpapery backing) to the duct tape on each palm - it worked! The anti-slip stuff gave me about the same amount of grip I would have had with bear hands.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Anti-Slip Tape as Hand Protection for Pullups

Most people who really, really want to protect their hands to avoid calluses (note that it's probably not most people) will use gloves or something of that nature. IMO it's just better to use bare hands and build up the calluses (and then shave them down) which will give you better grip strength; be prudent about ripping.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Mike Gray

Profile:

Heya -

I agree about toughening the hands, but after two sets of 20 "naked" PUs, my hands were about to turn into hamburger meat. What I'm trying to do is build up, but I've been through too much agony to hurry it!

I think part of my issue is the bar I'm using. It's rough metal and very thick - my open hand goes about 2/3rds of the way around. I can actually grip the bar really well (with a pullup style grip - chinups are very difficult), but after about 30 PUs I can actually feel the skin in my hands start to tear.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Matt Bogdanowicz

Profile:

Steven,

You are right. I learned this the hard way on my last Pull up WR attempt.
Now that all my callouses have been torn away, I am keeping them filed down, and will wrap my hands much like a boxer would, and use a tight fitting pair of gloves, like these: They have a nice padded part which helps to protect the palm http://garage.mechanix.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

The anti-slip tape which is used on things like aerobic steps and concrete steps might be illegal for my WR attempt, unlike some past champions who have cheated by using straps and other grip assisting aids

Matt Bogdanowicz