CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Kurt Holm

Profile:
There seems to be a concensus opinion on postign results. Do you feel it is beneficial to post a workout that is not what is posted? For instance, today I did a 1000M row, the Burgener warm-up and then 7 rounds of 21,18,15,9,6,3 reps of: 16kg KB Swing and 20lb. Slamball in 10:44 (not includind the warm-up of course). Should I start to post these? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
I post most of my workouts, just so I have an online, searchable record.

I also post using my full name to make searching easier.

If its a WO you repeat often, give it a unique name, so you can find it easier.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
George Brothers

Profile:
kurt
once in a while i post, but i tend to lag the wod by several days.
i find it more beneficial to keep a log of my own at home.
i just use a text document to do so.
i found xfit over a year ago and i find that postings to comments in the last several months has gotten rather "busy" and will sometimes wander far from the wod. look in the archives for 2004 and earlier and you will see what i mean.
just my opinion.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
george,
I agree with you about the "busy"ness of the comments. But if I'm searching for my own workouts, it doesn't really get in the way of that.

I have no home computer at the moment(laptop died), so I use work computers, or other internet access. The online aspect really helps me out(without me having to start my own blog).
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
IMO...
Comments (front page) really should be kept to results/questions specifically related to that day's WOD. On the other hand, there is the Message Board, which offers much the same functionality. I've seen an awful lot of workout logs go up back here in the past few months. They're online (reachable from anywhere), searchable (find past results), etc. Seems like a good alternative.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
I have no problem w/ comments on pictures and such, but put me in the camp that wishes people would post only results for the WOD for that day.

What I really don't understand is why people post results for a workout the previous day or even earlier. This especially puzzles me since Lauren now posts the "Compare to" links that let you go straight to the previous time we did the same workout. What good do those do you if you're posting your results on some other day's comments?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Clay Jones

Profile:

Amen to both Matt and John's comment--I wish people would stop posting comments like "this one's gonna be tough" or "wow am I tired now" or whatever. Just do the workout and post.

since I don't always go with the WOD but post my results anyway, I'm guilty of John's second point . . . . Guess I should really do a workout log.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Matt,
I have recently started a workout log on the message board, so I hope to not incur your wrath by posting other workout related results on the WOD comments.

However, no apologies for cross posting to three days worth of WOD comments a few weeks ago when I got my BW OHS. I would have sent emails to eveyone in my contacts, but they just wouldn't understand how I was feeling.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Brendan Fournier

Profile:
Oh man, I totally agree with Matt and John. People are free to post whatever they want, I guess, but all the "This is gonna be sweet" comments sound kind of lame, and the "Oh, no, running is hard!" comments sound so whiny. It's part of the fun for some people, though, so who am I to stop them...

Kurt, IMO the comments page should be (1) so other people can compare their times/scores to yours and (2) so you can compare your own time/score when you do the same WOD next time around. And for simple clarifications about the WO itself. If you're doing something totally different from everybody else, why post it? I mean, besides in a private log?

And like John says, what makes no sense is, for instance, doing Sunday's WOD on Thursday and then posting it on the Thursday comments. How are you ever going to find that in two months when we do it again?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Hmmmm, how to post this without sounding like a complete newb/wanna be/poseur...

The ability to use the daily comments as a log is extremely helpful, and is another example of Coach's generosity. While you may choose to have your own log you are not forced to; you can search on the comments and compare with your previous results. Regardless of what I may do on any particular day or post on any particular day, I always try to post my results on the day appropriate for that WOD as well. As such, the comments section becomes my log, as Coach designed it.

But IMO there is another very important aspect to the comments, and Andy touches on it when he mentions hes BW OHS (congrats, by the way!). The comments section is the de facto club house for the CF community. Some people have a "friendship" that spans hundreds or thousands of miles, but they can touch base every day here at CF through the comments. In all liklihood I will never meet anyone on the Board or comments, but frankly the community "living" on the comments section figuratively is keeping me company in the gym where I am the only CF'er.

Lastly, there is a sense that one needs to be a part of the fitness program and to publicly acknowledge that by posting in order to "earn your stripes" as it were, especially on Rest Day. Matt has been very adament about that and I strongly agree with him. I may post something on a workout day other than the posted WOD just to be in the game that day, to let folks know I was CF'ing that day. Some day I may even "cash in" on that capital and post a Rest Day comment!

More than .02 worth of ink, probably worth much less than .02, but my .02.