CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-04-2004, 05:37 AM   #1
Paul Symes

Profile:
Another newbie question. I've been searching through the archives and it looks like the Zone diet is worth trying. So I went out and bought a book by Barry Sears.

The problem is I keep reading people talking about "blocks" and the would you believe the book doesn't mention them even once grrrr. So I can't understand what people are talking about

Are there any recourses on the web someone can point me at or give me a brief rundown, I'm not working atm and don't want to buy another book unless I really need to.

Something else I find confusing is the amount of carbs the book says you are eating and the amount of carbs you are actually eating don't add up. OK the bulk of the food that you consume is carbs but the bulk of the calories are protein and fat and hardly any carbs at all or are you supposes to get the calories from fruit?

I can't see how you can follow a 40/30/30 split with no grains at every meal without having to cook 5 plates of vegetables.

I should point out that I need to gain weight with minimum fat gain

Can someone help me out, thanks

Paul
Old 09-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
Also what is the athletes zone?

I've searched already, keep hearing it mentioned but can't find any explanation. I've just ordered the meal plans CFJ maybe that'll answer some questions

Paul
Old 09-04-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Paul,

I know where you're coming from about the vegetables. I just save them for dinner, since they give me problems during the day. Fruit, however, is a great tool. Grains really arent necessary when replaced with fruit. heres some examples:

1 apple=2 blocks
1-peach=1 block
1 pear=1block

so, if you want a 4 block meal for instance, it could be a can of tuna, 1 of each fruit from above, and 12 almonds. (3 almonds=1 block)

In the athlete zone, you just double the amount of fat blocks. There are a lot of discussions about this in the archives. Some started by me with similar questions as yours.

Which zone book did you buy?

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-04-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
Paul Symes

Profile:
Thanks Roy

I'm glad I'm not the only one :happy:

I bought The 7 Day Zone Diet by Barry Sears

Paul
Old 09-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

A "block" = 7 grams of protien, 9 grams of carbs, and 1.5 grams of fat (increase if you are losing weight on the diet. Dr. Sears goes into this in detail in his first book "Enter The Zone".

He also said to consider many foods as their main macronutrient and not try to balance all the fat, protien, carbs. Thus and egg is about one protien block even though they are also high in fat. Nonfat milk and yogurt is actually both a carb and a protien in a one to one ratio according to this same book.

I believe in later books he said to figure carbs by first subtracting the amount of fiber from the the total carbs but I don't have that book.

Beth
Old 09-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Paul Symes

Profile:
OK, I've bought the meals plans CFJ and I know understand what blocks are yippie

I take it the amount of blocks is to lose weight, I'm only 158 Ibs but if I ate 25 blocks a day I'd be dead within a week, I eat nearly double that just to stay the same weight let alone improve fitness and muscle mass

Or should I stick to the recommended blocks for carbs and protien and make the balance up with fat?
Old 09-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
Beth, sorry I didn't refresh my browser and hadn't seen your reply when I posted my last message.

Yes it's falling into place now

Thanks
Paul
Old 09-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi Paul,

Just to make it crystal clear (in case it isn't yet), you figure how many blocks based on your lean muscle mass and how much protien you need to maintain it. There is a calculation in the book I have that includes your activity level in determining this. Then you eat the blocks needed to maintain lean muscle mass.

In addition, if you are finding you lose weight on the diet even still, you start to increase your fat per block to 3 grams instead of 1.5. And then figure accordingly. The main thing is to keep the balance between protien and carbs. Also - many of us on this site find once we get into the zone on a regular basis that tweaking it further to slightly more protien works really well. But first do a week or a month on the zone as prescribed. And then I would check with others what they did if you are not getting the results you wanted. I like my balance more like 30 fat, 35 carb and 35 protien.

Beth
Old 09-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nice catch Beth!
Robb
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
Michael Silnicki

Profile:  
Hi Beth

If you could write this calculation I would be greatful.
Is there any calculation for gaining mass?