CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Erwin Bongat

Profile:
Smile Help! Planning to Own a new gym..

1) were opening up a crossfit gym in the wa state area, how can we get cheap equipment
2) where can we get cheap rubber flooring
3) is it realistic for 500 members in one crossfit gym
4) how many are buying unlimited and how much are buying punch cards / as far as memberships the actual statistic.
5) How big do these gyms actually get, as far as membership size, actual memberships.
6) has anybody in wa gone up to 400 500 membership range
7) what would be a good rule for membership and square foot.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Harley Duncan

Profile:
Re: Help! Planning to Own a new gym..

I do not have an answer for questions 2-7 but I can help you out with the equipment when you are ready.

When you are ready for a quote on the equipment & freight please contact me.

Harley Duncan
800-872-7767 ext 212
harley.duncan@troybarbell.com
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Not to ignore your questions, but I think the first three questions you should ask are:

1. Can you coach and program?
2. If not, can you recognize what a good coach is and be sure to hire him/her?
3. Do you have a basic understanding of how to run a business and all the costs entailed by a CF gym?

If you do those three things you'll have a good foundation. Have you visited many CF affiliates? If so you'd probably have answers for questions 3-7. I don't know that 500 members is really possible or even desirable for that matter, and you won't need 500 to turn a profit if you're doing things right. Even if it is possible, 500 isn't going to happen overnight--most of the biggest affiliates started with a handful of people training in a garage or park, then got a small storage space, then a small light industrial space, then moved into a big place when they outgrew what they had.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Steve Loeding

Profile:

1. Equipment - don't skimp - you can start at buying used but you'll want good bars and bumpers after awhile.

2. Shop around for mats but shipping does add up - they are heavy.

3. 500 members ? Doubt that would happen - unless you charge $50 / month. I don't even know many globo gyms that have 500 members. Doubt you'd want that many. You don't need that many to make a profit.

4. Start small, grow naturally.

5. Combo of unlimited and punch cards for those that travel a lot for work
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Erwin Bongat

Profile:

Thanks for your reply guys! Anymore answers from anybody? It will be a great help for me! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

The math on 500 member box is bad.

What is your desired coach to client ratio?

Most of your clients will want to work out in 2 possible morning classes and 2 possible evening classes. Even if only half your members showed up and they evenly spread themselves over the 4 classes that would be 250/4=62 1/2 per class! That is 5 trainers, a lot of sq ft and 63 barbells. Figure $250 a peice for Rouge bars $250 x 63 = $15,750 in barbells alone.

You will also fail to give individuals the attention they need and will suffer from a high turnover rate and high injury rate.

This is no formula for success.

I'm guessing your military because you address is the Philippians. Want to know where there are a lot of CrossFit boxes? In Washington State near Fort Lewis. CrossFit has been spreading through the US military. A good thing but opening a box is attractive work post military.

There are only a certain # of possible clients in an area. There is a limited distance people can drive to go to the gym due to time constraints of life. Washington State out side of Seattle is not very densely populated. Again the math doesn't work.

I fully encourage you to open a box and do a fantastic job with a small number of clients. You can earn a descent living in a super fun and rewarding job. If you are careful you can build a business which can be sold later to provide you with a little lump sum on the way out.

Just trying to help you turn a fantasy into an achievable dream.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Rick Martinez

Profile:

Erwin,
Free e-book on Launching a Box for your use amigo.
http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.asp...0002283_455026
Link is w/f/s.
Hopefully this'll help.
Best
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Erin LaVoie

Profile:

I'm sorry I dont know how to make a new question on here, so I am replying to yours. First time. I am also opening a new box in WA. state very soon. Does anybody know exactly what kind of business license I will need. I talked to the owner of another CF gym in WA. and he said he is LLC. Is this an LLC, and dont we have to have that drawn into our name somewhere? I am confused on this, any help would be wonderful. Thank you.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=WA+state+business+license+new
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Allison Hennings

Profile:

As far as equip goes- use your resources, we talked to quite a few CF Affiliates & ended up going through alot of wholesalers.. which helped a ton. As for flooring we went with "stall" mats from a tractor supply company, way more cost efficient. And dont think you need everything up front, we continue to add equipment & flooring as we grow. Personally I think that having a 500+ goal for members is outrageous, I think youll end up losing touch with your athletes, & therefore lose a lot of the "community" aspect that CF has...but totally your call. Square footage depends on floor plan a lot- we have an open floor plan & that works well for us, so its gonna depend on your space. Hope this helps