CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #171
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Theriault View Post
why don't we start this WORKING group through the GLOBAL.. I am TDY, but someone should look everyone up so we can share all this information at work
If this happens, I'd like to get in on it if possible. I have a nasa.gov email address, so I'm not in the Edwards Global. I'll keep a watch on this thread for more info.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #172
John Ramsey

Profile:

Add me to the Global users please...

Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #173
Ralph Romine

Profile:

Interesting article. In 5 deployments to Iraq, I have seen military gyms offer crossfit classes, and very senior leaders taking part in it, including several flag officers. I just joined CF this year, and I have had lots of sports injuries over the years, none form CF. If anything, my form is more correct now than it ever has. Thousands of people walk into gyms on military bases and start throwing weights with no experience and no coaching, because they read a magazine or watched a DVD. So the argument in the letter is not valid. And so what if the mascot is PUKIE...what a retarded comment. Not sure what's wrong with asking folks participating in an exercise program to give it 150%...I've puked while running 5 miles while playing varsity soccer. This is why we are FAT ad out of shape. Of course as a senior officer I cannot speak for my service officially and can not endorse anything...I do, however, do CF, but I agree that it is gym specific. The base I am at it CF friendly, because the man in charge is a BIG CFer. It depends on the base. Hey bottom line is that its something different old fogies like me don't really understand...once the dinosaurs retire you young folks will have a chance to change all that. Hey after all we are still eating using the 1950 food pyramid scheme and we are fatter now than ever. Keep puking!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #174
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Romine View Post
... In 5 deployments to Iraq...
What? Thank you!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #175
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Hey check this article out! WFS: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...rogram_050109/ It looks like mainstream AF is finally getting a clue. It may even help my fight to promote Crossfit here in GFAFB.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #176
Lionel Garcia

Profile:

I don't know if it's been said in this thread already but the AF main page used to have a link under the Fitness links to the CF main page... it was removed a few months ago.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #177
Travis Loest

Profile:

has anyone done the CrossFit Global Outreach program yet? Sign me up.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #178
Shaun Sullivan

Profile:

Last year while my Battalion was down conducting Summer Training for the Cadets at the United States Military Academy I would use the huge gym (Arvin) in the morning with my XO to do PT. While there I noticed a few people doing Crossfit workouts, one of them was the Major that was in charge of the Field Artillery Branch for USMA. I have no found out that they are now the Black & Gold affiliate. I can imagine that having Crossfit being done at the military academies is just going to get more young officers doing it and begin to influence platoon and then company level physical training.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #179
Donald Clarkson

Profile:

I cannot speak for any other services, but the Army is definitely not leaning away; quite the contrary, they are leaning toward. I had the CSA in my box in August looking at the set up we had and watching us do a Fight Gone Bad practice.

Since then, we have conducted an 8 week evaluation comparing CrossFit to traditional Army PT; those results are due this month and will get published in the CrossFit Journal and we are also hoping to get them published in Military Review. Here at Fort Hood, we have General Officer support, as does Fort Leavenworth (who is also now conducting an evaluation).

The number of people doing CrossFit in the Army is growing exponentially and more and more senior leaders are recognizing it a superior to standard PT.

We saw no injuries as a result of CrossFit during the evaluation. Instead, we saw one Soldier rehab a shoulder that had been bothering him for year and resulted in a fairly limiting profile - one so limiting we were unsure if he should be part of the study due to it. At the end of his 8 weeks of CrossFitting, he had full mobility, was able to put up weight overhead and no longer needed a profile; full functionality had been restored; something his PA had been unable to accomplish.

Don

http://www.crossfitbelair.com/

Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #180
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Solid work, Don. I looks forward to seeing the CFJ article of course, but can I get a copy of the the original?

Jason/John/Travis: I'm almost certain I'm not on the global you guys are using, but I'd like to get in on the distro. I've been involved with CF Ft Meade since day one and have been around more than a few blocks.

Closed Thread