CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #151
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eucalitto View Post
I definitely agree.

Personally, I would like to see the AF create a special duty assignment as PT leader for a Group/Wing, whatever level...so they can get trained and have some understanding of exercise and physiology...as opposed to tasking an engineer who has a thousand other reports to write with also trying to understand the physical requirements of each member of their unit.
This may/may not lead to more military/AF doing CrossFit, however, it will lead to healthier and more combat ready airmen.

Alas, I havent been nominated as Chief of Staff yet.
My Navy command has something like that. We have the command fitness office, everyone who works there gets sent to different seminars and certs. To my knowledge only one of them is CF L1 certified BUT, 3 more attending one later this month.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #152
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
My Navy command has something like that. We have the command fitness office, everyone who works there gets sent to different seminars and certs. To my knowledge only one of them is CF L1 certified BUT, 3 more attending one later this month.
Hi Michael

Can you say what command that is? I am thinking about setting up something for San Diego area commands to teach some basic exercise physiology stuff. Probably would be helpful for folks who were preping for just about any cert.....

Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #153
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eucalitto View Post
I definitely agree.

Personally, I would like to see the AF create a special duty assignment as PT leader for a Group/Wing, whatever level...so they can get trained and have some understanding of exercise and physiology...as opposed to tasking an engineer who has a thousand other reports to write with also trying to understand the physical requirements of each member of their unit.
This may/may not lead to more military/AF doing CrossFit, however, it will lead to healthier and more combat ready airmen.

Alas, I havent been nominated as Chief of Staff yet.
That's a great idea!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #154
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

I was talking with our Squadron's Chief this week about CF, losing 20 pounds since November and fitness in general. Chief Meenagh is a very impressive, motivating and awesome individual. He has a way of really motivating a person (especially when it is backed up with "or you get a punch in the throat..."). We started talking about the AFPT testing and how some people just don't seem to make an improvement. I told him that if that is not a high "suck factor" in one's workout, then you are not going to see improvement. He was really impressed with that and said that he is going to quote me at our next commander's call. It was really neat to see him light up with that concept.

bottom line...more people need to have some suck factor in their workouts. It is a great feeling to be on your hand and knees in the middle of a WOD, sucking for just a few more breaths to go on and finish just ten more burpees, wall balls, pull-ups, etc. When your comfort zone is expanded then you can do anything.

BK

Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #155
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
And thats exactly what the AF needs...

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #156
Michael Donohue

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Well, lookey here (w/fs--may have negative effect on stomach): http://www.nsca-lift.org/TSAC/TSAC_Report_2008-02.pdf

Some little birdie passed by and said, "Hey, Barry, Google Sven Parker and NSCA". I said thank you little bird, and what do we find? An NSCA version of the CrossFit Journal, complete with articles by, who? Mark Stephenson (ATC, CSCS) and Sven Parker (CSCS and CPT).

Regrettably, I can't cut and paste, but the net is he has taken CrossFit language of intensity, misunderstood it, then tried to layer our language on his programming.

Intensity is easily defined: work output per unit time. He has none of that.

Functional movement is easily defined: Force x Distance/ time, therefore you want movements which potentially involve heavy weights, moved through a large range of motion, quickly.

Moreover, he fully misunderstands GPP. For example, he includes Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. As we keep saying over and over, the battlefield is not a sport field, and the specific adapations that are needed are unknown, in principle, which is why a broad spectrum GPP is the best basis for preparing.

Finally, at some point I would hope simple integrity would enter into this debate. This candyass (I'm sorry, this sort of thing makes me mad) sniping (emails they wanted to remain secret; articles written with hidden, personal agendas) is for grade school kids, not adults working to enable our troops to enter battle ready.

We have a program that is fully thought through, and a host of trainers fully equal to generating systematic understandings of the movements and how to do them safely. We are not trying to take old ideas and layer them with the slogan of the month.

We built these ideas from scratch, with no help from the NSCA or ACSM, who are still trying to catch up, much less exceed us in their usefulness or philosophical coherence.
Did anyone else notice "Ask the Expert" on page 5.2 of the article at the bottom right of page. Ask the expert is on opportunity for you to ask our experts about your operational fitness uncertainties.

The bold our experts made me chuckle.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #157
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Bored at work...Found this on NKO, the Commander Naval Forces Korea Physical Fitness page has a bullet at the bottom of the page, advocating their sailors try Crossfit, if they are (paraphrased) "bored with their current work-out routine".

Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #158
Chris Story

Profile:

The Coast Guard doesn't have mandatory PT but does have health promotion coordinators at every unit. They don't really do much at most units. The unit I'm at now is all about fitness though. They got a bunch of us level 1 certified last year and put together a separate gym specifically for crossfit.

We have weekly group pt session and separate crossifit classes to teach the basic movements and get members started with crossfit. They really couldn't be more supportive of the crossfit community on base.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #159
Mark Martinez

Profile:

All:

Can you post military links which promote Crossfit or are Crossfit related? I'm just starting to campaign for it here and I am already encountering negativity. The lawsuit thing was mentioned immediately.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #160
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
All:

Can you post military links which promote CrossFit or are CrossFit related? I'm just starting to campaign for it here and I am already encountering negativity. The lawsuit thing was mentioned immediately.
Have you gone through this entire thread?

Closed Thread