CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Holly Skinner

Profile:
Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have a client who has only been training with me for a couple of months. He is 27 and has just been diagnosed with Acute Rheamatoid arthritis is both knees and feet, his mobility has quickly become limited. He is even struggling to make it up stairs. We are looking closely at his diet and supplements such EPA, I have recommended swimming and said we will try and put together some workouts he can do to try and keep some mobility and strength. If anyone has any suggestion for wods or anything else we would be very greatful.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Dustin Berry

Profile:
Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis

I would approach this with the help of his doctor and physical therapist. It's nothing to mess around with.

My grandfather has had RA for as long as I can remember (I'm 27), and has had to take chemotherapy for years. With RA your joints pretty much stop working, bend in crazy directions, and become chronically painfull. I'm not a doctor, nor have I researched RA, but I have seen the effects of this first hand and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Sorry it's not much help, but that would be my approach if it were my client.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Bill Pontius

Profile:

Holly,

The EPA and swim ideas are a very good place to start, it seems to me. I haven't any experience with rh arthritis, but I'd also suggest using the pool for exercises besides swimming, too. Running intervals, for example, are very effective in water--either actual movement across the pool or in deep water with flotation devices (running while treading water is a killer). Earl Fee has a book titled Complete Guide to Running: How to be a Champion from 9 to 90that has a great section on pool training for older athletes that may be helpful to you. It's available from Amazon.

Best of luck to you and your client. --Bill
Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:

RA has a significant dietary component...a gluten free/dairy free paleo diet with 15-20g of fish oil has done wonders with folks I've worked with. Sleep, decreased stress etc. are also quite important to push the condition into remission.