CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Michael Holmes

Profile:
CF and Rugby

does anyone on here play rugby and crossfit?
if so, to what standard do you play and what portion of your training programme is mdae up of crossfit?
i find crossfit to be perfect in terms of developing strength, power and endurance, but also find that it is making me lighter - and for someone who is only 5'10" this isn't the best thing in the world as it makes me easier to knock around
cheers
Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: CF and Rugby

Rugby and CF go together nicely. Getting fit for rugby is what turned me on to CF in the first place. If you're concerned about losing size or strength, search these boards for "MEBB" or "ME Black Box". btw what position do you play? I was second row.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Jonathan Pollard

Profile:

I've done Crossfit on and off for the past year, and have a teammate who is an amazing rugger and diehard fan of Crossfit. Remember, your diet - not Crossfit - is what will make you lighter. If you're losing weight but you'd rather stay a bit heavier, eat more good calories (i.e. oatmeal, sweet potatoes, lean red meat, etc).
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Many past threads on CrossFit training for rugby . . . good opportunity for search function use!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Sam Marusich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pollard View Post
If you're losing weight but you'd rather stay a bit heavier, eat more good calories (i.e. oatmeal, sweet potatoes, lean red meat, etc).
Not meaning to hijack, but i was under the impression that sweet potatoes were not a great source of calories, not even a good source of carbs. Wouldn't increasing good fat intake (coconut oil, nuts, olive oil) be a more beneficial caloric boost without having a big insulin response?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
John McConnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marusich View Post
Not meaning to hijack, but i was under the impression that sweet potatoes were not a great source of calories, not even a good source of carbs. Wouldn't increasing good fat intake (coconut oil, nuts, olive oil) be a more beneficial caloric boost without having a big insulin response?
Some of this is probably going to depend on the rest of the diet as well.