CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Gary Maholm

Profile:
Platform confusion?

I'm really confused about why people build platforms.

I'm new to all of this and I could certainly be missing something but what are some of the reasons that people are building them?

What are the benefits of having one other than the "gymly" look?

I have a pretty small space in my garage and the last thing i want is a big ol' platform that i have to heave around BUT, if its something necessary then perhaps i would be willing to fight with it a bit.

I mean, they look pretty cool and i reckon that it would be nice to show my friends; "check out my olympic platform..it rules the earth...", but I'm not sure what i could do on it that i cant on my garage floor.

thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Rahsaan Kimbrow

Profile:
Re: Platform confusion?

dropping weights on concrete is not a good thing...... dropping expensive bumper plates on concrete is really not a good thing.......

seriously..... most people can get by with just a rubber mat.... but when you get into big poundages, solid footing and a barrier between the weight and the ground is a good thing....

plus they look cool
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maholm View Post
I'm really confused about why people build platforms.

I'm new to all of this and I could certainly be missing something but what are some of the reasons that people are building them?

What are the benefits of having one other than the "gymly" look?

I have a pretty small space in my garage and the last thing i want is a big ol' platform that i have to heave around BUT, if its something necessary then perhaps i would be willing to fight with it a bit.

I mean, they look pretty cool and i reckon that it would be nice to show my friends; "check out my olympic platform..it rules the earth...", but I'm not sure what i could do on it that i cant on my garage floor.

thanks
UH...................dropping the weights from Snatch/Clean Jerk will ruin both bar and plates in short order.
Platforms cushion the fall, along with providing a crisp, solid surface to jump, land, jerk, split, etc.

Suggest you do some homework on O lifting.

BTW, assume you're using Bumpers, if not, please post pics of your floor, before dropping the metal plates, then after. If you are using bumpers, then please post pics of bar/bumpers after 30-45 days of consent use.

Last edited by Jay Cohen : 12-28-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post

BTW, you are considering using Bumpers, if not, please post pics of your floor, before dropping the metal plates, then after. If you are using bumpers, then please post pics of bar/bumpers after 30-45 days of consent use.
I was feeling a little chilly, but man, that was a burn. (It's also totally accurate)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I built my platform for several reasons.
1) solid stable level lifting surface - moreso than rubber matting.
2) less wear and tear on my bumpers/bars/etc.
3) I have plenty of space in my home gym
4) I've completely geared my training toward speed movements and a platform is essential for speed movements.

The platform doesn't have to be big. Mine's 8'x12'. Most can get away with 8'x6'. I went bigger because I have the space and I wanted to put my York power cage on the platform.

I don't know if that helps? Personally, if you don't think you need one, I wouldn't bother. I move some serious weights sometimes. And I train with folk that move a lot weight. I normally go to their gyms to train because they have platforms. Now, they can come to me too.

All the best,
arden