CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #181
Michael Wisotzkey

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

I did not bother to read all 19 pages of this, but the Marine Corps is definitely not going away from Crossfit, but going more toward it. Google the new "Combat Fitness Test" and tell me it's not a Crossfit WOD.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #182
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisotzkey View Post
I did not bother to read all 19 pages of this, but the Marine Corps is definitely not going away from Crossfit, but going more toward it. Google the new "Combat Fitness Test" and tell me it's not a Crossfit WOD.
Pssh...the CFT resembles an easy WOD after you've been around CF for a while. Two minutes of 30lb ammo can push presses? Don't mind if I do.

As of now the Marine Corps won't "officially" endorse CF because they view it as a commercial fitness program that is in competition with the services that MCCS and Semper Fit already provide--that's the word I got from a full-bird colonel who received a complaint from MCCS about the free CF intro classes I was advertising on base. There's probably some hang-ups about the fact that the USMC doesn't want to imply endorsement or sponsorship by an outside business as well...though that doesn't stop Chick Fil-a and Coors Light from having tents at every big on-base event.

But a MARADMIN came out a few months ago that directed all bases to set up functional fitness centers...the few that I've seen look like a well-stocked CF gym so we're on the right track.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #183
Michael Wisotzkey

Profile:

Definitely easy. When I was at OCS and the CFT was being tested amongst candidates/recruits, we did it and I thought it was a breeze. The ammo can press is laughable. A lot of Marines already do Crossfit whether they call it 'Crossfit' or not.

I hope that the Marine Corps still moves forward to being more affiliated with Crossfit. I watched an excellent lecture on Crossfit and combat fitness with Captain Brian Chontosh that was in the CFJ..I wish every Marine leader would watch it.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #184
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

High injury rates? Maybe if they are overtraining I think but for the last part calling crossfit a "cult" isn't that slander? just wondering

Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #185
Sal Ocampo

Profile:

Yup, at a recent level 1 here in Pendleton, the MCCS (I believe) prevented the CF media crew from filming the cert. Crossfit is called "Combat Fit" on base. Even though some gyms post the crossfit methodology and benchmark workouts in the gym. While not officially endorsed by the Corps, it's still called crossfit amongst Marines.

Also, it really depends on the individual. There are many who still believe in the bodybuilding/5k runs everyday in boot/utes with little emphasis on nutrition and recovery.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #186
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellish View Post
but for the last part calling crossfit a "cult" isn't that slander? just wondering
The "truth" is an absolute defense to libel/slander/defamation.

Is there a kernel of truth to it? Perhaps. Why else would we (Cf'ers) make the jokes about "drinking the koolaid". Drinking the koolaid is a reference from before you were born to Jim Jones and his cult in Jonestown, Guyana, who committed suicide by drinking cyanide laced Flavor-Aid... but most people are under the mistaken impression said Flavor Aid was actually Kool-Aid.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #187
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
calling crossfit a "cult" isn't that slander? just wondering
No, it's print so it's libel

As Sean pointed out above there is a certain cultishness sometimes, but it's really just people getting excited about something that actually works.

Are there any updates on that guy's lawsuit?

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #188
Ryan Blake

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
No, it's print so it's libel

As Sean pointed out above there is a certain cultishness sometimes, but it's really just people getting excited about something that actually works.

Are there any updates on that guy's lawsuit?
He won:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...awsuit_100908/
Work/Family Safe

I dont get this at all, 300 grand for what?

I dont think CF was named as a defendant though, just the gym in VA.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #189
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

A few of my co workers are attending the Navy Command Fitness Leader course and one that CFs with me brought up CF to the instructors. She said the instructor seemed appauled by it and brought up the fact that if we are using crossfit at our command to train people on the 'fitness enhancement program' that we need to stop.

That's why here at NMCSD we offer "crosstraining". =)

Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #190
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Quote:
High injury rates? Maybe if they are overtraining I think but for the last part calling crossfit a "cult" isn't that slander? just wondering

No, I'm mostly a loser, so I think I can say crazy stuff.

Closed Thread