CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Re: Paleo, better for endurance athletes AND crossfiters???

thanks for the info

heres the link
http://www.johnberardi.com/
Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

ehh...now that i read some of this stuff....like how he does not see any difference btwn low intensity and high intensity exercise, im second guessing this guy

anyone else have any other info?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Derek Henson

Profile:

ok, Paleo doesnt focus on quantity...

so how much food is too much? do i just eat (Paleo) healthy food until i dont feel hungry anymore?

-or-

should i eat Paleo food w/ the zone blocks and meal frequency.

i mean...you can eat healthy food all you want, but 6 lbs of healthy food is still 6lbs you gained.

i think i will try to eat Paleo friendly food BUT use the zone perameters (protein, carb, fat).

what do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

that is what the majority of the CF community call zone/paleo...doing exactly what you said, combining the quality + quantitiy aspects of the two programs....best of both worlds
Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Henson View Post
ok, Paleo doesnt focus on quantity...

so how much food is too much? do i just eat (Paleo) healthy food until i dont feel hungry anymore?

-or-

should i eat Paleo food w/ the zone blocks and meal frequency.

i mean...you can eat healthy food all you want, but 6 lbs of healthy food is still 6lbs you gained.

i think i will try to eat Paleo friendly food BUT use the zone perameters (protein, carb, fat).

what do you guys think?
6 lbs of green leafies does not equal 6 lbs of pasta/rice/sugar in terms of weight gain.

Paleo basically means that your appetite and bodyweight will be controlled and maintained by satiety resulting from consumption of whole, healthy foods, rather than by weighing and measuring. If you want to tweak your diet, however, the Zone provides a starting point from which to tinker, whereas Paleo does not (unless your OCD about recording everything you eat even if not zoning).
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Christine Crawford

Profile:

DISCLAIMER - THIS HAS TO DO WITH DIET AND ENDURANCE ATHLETE'S.

I have experience with Paleo and endurance. I have read the book Paleo diet for athletes. Here is what I found. The book does NOT follow strict Paleo practices. It does not. Strict Paleo does not allow you to eat the foods recommended in the book. I know the book suggests that athletes follow a cycle of training phases where you "carb up" and go back to a more loose Paleo diet when not training. It suggested a higher fat diet. To me, it seemed the book was following a high fat block zone diet. Anyway, I personally tried 2 months of Paleo eating only meat, eggs, nuts, dried fruit on occasion...you get the idea, but no sweet potatoes and other high carb foods that the book recommened. I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY to complete an endurance training run, ever. I then tried strict Anabolic (I like playing with nutrition in the off season). By far my favorite plan was Anabolic but I had even LESS energy. I could not make it through a 3 mile run! I couldn't even do an hour on the elliptical which was my staple when not running 10-12 miles at a stretch. So, I am back to a more balanced diet that includes more calories than a Zone diet would but I include more healthy fats than before and I must eat my carbs (good ones and bad ones) to sustain training of 10 or more hours per week.

Good luck with your training and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Amy Crawford

Profile:

I've been doing about 85-90% Paleo for a little over a year. I was pretty lean, and relatively fit prior to starting. When I changed diets, I also started hitting CF hard.

I decreased my BF (15-16% to 12-13%) quickly, and am continuing to make strength and CF gains. I'm 38, and have been an athlete my entire adult life, but I'm sure that my *ahem* more mature status has slowed things down.

I realize that my experience is different from many ... I was already in pretty good shape, with pretty low BF. I used to race mountain bikes semi-professionally, but not now, so I can't correlate to any endurance events. I can run a 5K almost as fast as I did when I was running all the time ... result of CF, paleo, or both, I don't know.

Just my experience ...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brauer View Post
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I thought it had great info...but I wish someone would put together similar work geared for strength and conditioning specifically.
In process...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Robb,

You are the man.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Crawford View Post
DISCLAIMER - THIS HAS TO DO WITH DIET AND ENDURANCE ATHLETE'S.

I have experience with Paleo and endurance. I have read the book Paleo diet for athletes. Here is what I found. The book does NOT follow strict Paleo practices. It does not. Strict Paleo does not allow you to eat the foods recommended in the book. I know the book suggests that athletes follow a cycle of training phases where you "carb up" and go back to a more loose Paleo diet when not training. It suggested a higher fat diet. To me, it seemed the book was following a high fat block zone diet. Anyway, I personally tried 2 months of Paleo eating only meat, eggs, nuts, dried fruit on occasion...you get the idea, but no sweet potatoes and other high carb foods that the book recommened. I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY to complete an endurance training run, ever. I then tried strict Anabolic (I like playing with nutrition in the off season). By far my favorite plan was Anabolic but I had even LESS energy. I could not make it through a 3 mile run! I couldn't even do an hour on the elliptical which was my staple when not running 10-12 miles at a stretch. So, I am back to a more balanced diet that includes more calories than a Zone diet would but I include more healthy fats than before and I must eat my carbs (good ones and bad ones) to sustain training of 10 or more hours per week.

Good luck with your training and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Christine-
Why did you NOT eat the yams/ sweet potatoes that the book recommends? We have folks crushing races from 5-50k using this format. It's simple and wickedly effective.