CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #21
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Math Equations Encountered in CF

Note from the developers:

"We apologize for any inconveniences caused by the system crash. Problems with keyboard input are being corrected as of now. Please be patient until legibility is completely restored."
Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
David Wood

Profile:

Useful trick with series:

The sum of reps done in rounds from 1 rep, 2 reps, 3, . . . n-1, n, n-1, n-2, . . . 3, 2, 1 = n squared.

So, 1 + 2 + 3 + . . . + 9 + 10 + 9 + 8 + . . . + 3 + 2 + 1 = 100 reps (n = 10)

Very nice if you pick 3 or 4 different exercises and ask yourself to do 100 reps of each. The first rounds (1 burpee, 1 pullup, 1 DB swing) are so easy you don't hardly need to warm up.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #23
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

Great series for programming reps, David. Very Cool.

Speaking of reps, here is a little analysis on the infamous
21, 15, 9.

Of course they are all multiples of three, but this sequence almost..almost follows the Golden Ratio. What will happen if we adjusted this Classic CF sequence to fit the Golden Ratio?

9*phi
14.562305898749054*phi

Rounding upwards makes...

9, 15, 24

Compare:

7*7*7
5*5*5
3*3*3

versus

5*5*5, 3*3*3
5*5*5
3*3*3
Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #24
Erik Lilliedahl

Profile:

I cannot fully explain with my limited vocabulary how absolutely and utterly foreign all this math "speak" is to me. Its like I just got on a Chinese language forum and they are discussing the inner workings of the BSC standings.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #25
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
No, you were right. The whole is, in fact, greater than the sum of its parts.

whole > sum(parts)
Yeah, I pretty much feel like an idiot! Haha. I have only been out of school a year and to think what good all that education did!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #26
Robert Wolf

Profile:

Y'all would be fun to party with.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #27
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Party, just don't drink and derive!

Here's my contribution; the "constantly varied, if not random" aspect.

If all possible exercises (i = 1 to N) you can do are given a mathematical weight w_i, where w_i is larger if an exercise is more important to your fitness goals, then calculate p_i for each exercise, where

pi = wi/sum(wi, i = 1 to N)

Then use a pseudo random number generator to create a uniform random number, r, that is between 0 and 1.

r will be in some interval, an interval that is determed by taking cumulative sums of the p_i's. Select exercise i to include in your workout if r is in the ith interval. Then exercise i gets selected in your workouts with probability p_i in the long-run.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #28
Jonathan Silverman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Party, just don't drink and derive!

Here's my contribution; the "constantly varied, if not random" aspect.

If all possible exercises (i = 1 to N) you can do are given a mathematical weight w_i, where w_i is larger if an exercise is more important to your fitness goals, then calculate p_i for each exercise, where

pi = wi/sum(wi, i = 1 to N)

Then use a pseudo random number generator to create a uniform random number, r, that is between 0 and 1.

r will be in some interval, an interval that is determed by taking cumulative sums of the p_i's. Select exercise i to include in your workout if r is in the ith interval. Then exercise i gets selected in your workouts with probability p_i in the long-run.

Hey, can you give an example?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman View Post
Hey, can you give an example?
An example I can give, with the usual disclaimer of I am not a CrossFitter, nor is what I am saying intended as exercise advice since I am not qualified, I'm just exploring more of a math idea here, is say you are interested in training your Deadlift, Press, and Squat differently.

Instead of doing one of each exercise in a specific order as is normally done for say a CrossFit Total, you try randomly selecting from this list of exercises, with replacement, so your workouts can consist of any one of these 27 possibilities: DDD, DDS, DDP, DSD, DSP, DSS, DPD, DPP, DPS, SSS, SSD, SSP, SDS, SDP, SDD, SPS, SPP, SPD, PPP, PPD, PPS, PDP, PDS, PDD, PSP, PSS, and PSD.

This would be something like a randomized quasi-CrossFit Total workout, perhaps with the rationale that in "real-life"(tm) you may not know in what order tasks will come at you, since nature doesn't care, so you better be competent in all possible orders. I imagine some of the 27 orders are more preferable than others..

If you set the mathematical weight for D to 1, and P to 1, and S to 1, then, while you still may get oddities like SSS for a workout, in the long-run averaged over all your workouts you will get D, P, and S with equal frequency of 33%.

If you now decide for whatever reason to work on D more and set the mathematical weight to 2 and leave the mathematical weights for P and S at 1, your long-run frequencies will now be 50% for D, and 25% for P and S.

These mathematical weights can be changed per year, month, week, day, whenever, even mid workout, to combine the benefits of randomness with preferences on how important exercises are to the exerciser's goals.

Justin