CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Scott Borre

Profile:
I can freely admit that I found out about CrossFit through 300. Some laugh at that. Because they feel superior that they were doing CrossFit before a movie led to google searches that led to Gym Jones that led to CrossFit.

But I wonder how many that found CrossFit through this way are still around. I'm still around. However, I must also admit that I no longer go to the local CrossFit gym. This is mainly because I don't have the money. Never did in the first place! But I spent it anyhow convincing myself that I'd find a way to afford it. mortgage. (BTW. Free advice: Don't buy the house you think you can afford just because you really like it. Keep searching and find the house that you can afford, while still affording many other things that you enjoy doing. Spend less time in your house, and spend less money on it. Homes are places you can go to sleep and be protected during the dark. They do'nt have to be the place you spend most of your time at). *Soapbox moment over*

Anyhow, I still do variations of crossfit during all my workouts. The theory and intention is there. However, there is no weightlifting involved as I don't own any. I'll probably sign back up at the gym in a couple months when I get my money better organized and see how I'm doing again.

But I hope others are still around and active. As I know that it has changed me for the better. Body is better and I'm more happy. Went hiking recently in colorado and being 'crossfit' helped a lot. Its great to feel the energy to just go. And not have to pause and ask 'can I?'
}
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Phillip C. Boyd

Profile:
Scott,

I went to a local sports authority and picked up a 300# weight set for around $100. I cancelled a gym membership b/c most of what I need to do, a la crossfit, I can do on my own with my own weights. So far, I feel like I earned my money back with dividends.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Scott
You can make an awesome gym for $500, which is about a year's membership at a big-box gym.

1. Check the FAQ for how to make gymnastics rings out of PVC. You can buy climbing webbing from REI for $.34/foot, and then hang them in a tree. Finding strong buckles for the straps may be a problem, but I found some around the house. This will cost about $20-30, depending on how much webbing you need.
Image: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8...sintreexf8.jpg (Safe.)

2. Go to www.craigslist.org (It's like an online garage sale; safe.) and buy an Olympic bar and 255# metal plate set to go with it. Don't get a bench, since you don't need that. Anything around $50-80 is good.

3. Go to http://store.wfwclub.com/plates.html (Safe.), and buy the 90kg bumper set. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth it. Yes, it's the best deal you'll ever find.

4. Go to Home Depot, get two 60# bags of concrete, a 4"x4"x10' and two 5 gallon buckets. Cut the 4x4 in half (maybe make it 4'6 tall if you are shorter than 6 feet yourself), put grooves in the top, stick them in the buckets and add the concrete. It's a $20 squat rack.
Image: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5907/squatrackow5.jpg (Safe.)
Old 07-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
FWIW, anyone that laughs at how you found CrossFit is a moron. We all found it somehow. If I wasn't already doing it I would have been VERY intrigued at how those actors forged their physiques.

Great post from Patrick. It'll give you one more reason to stay home and enjoy that big mortgage house! :happy:

Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
Hey, if that big house has a 3-car garage you all set, or a 2 car, or a 1 car...detached?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I'm still here and I started because of the movie 300. I read an article regarding their training which led me to GymJones.com. All of the reading I did there led me to a) realize that apparently I suck because I'm not elite and good enough to be part of what they do there and b) they based their training on this thing called CrossFit.

On a whim, I typed the word "crossfit" between "www." and ".com" in my browser and here I am three months later, 20 pounds lighter, and 80 pounds higher on my CFT.

I don't plan to leave.

Chris

P.S. I love spending time at my home, that's why I pay a mortgage that I can barely afford. I'm happy when I'm home and I like having projects to work on and chores to do. If I just needed a place to sleep safely I'd still be in an apartment.

(Message edited by chrisinvt on July 16, 2007)
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Scott's advice above (about the house) may be the best non-fitness advice yet on these pages . . .
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:
Well my wife and I just bought our first house (moving in a couple weeks)

The trick is coming to terms with your NEEDS and not giving it to your WANTS. Do we NEED a 1900 sq ft 3 bed 2 bath? no... We wanted that, what we needed we bought. (for a lot less then the want btw...)

Oh... and it came with a arge single detached garage with workshop area. :-)
Old 07-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Luke Hope

Profile:
I came here somewhat through 300. It was a link from the gymrats LJ community about 300 and GJ, which got me to click through to here, which is where I am now. :-)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

How about this for a story on that. In October of 2006 i started training to be in BUD/s i have always done workouts that were like what i can call CrossFit, now, but i love circuits then and now i have even more to pull from. I then after i started to train for BUD/s saw GymJones online, while searching for sites which contained a certain exercise (i don't remember what it was, maybe Bent Press) after watching all the movies and reading the articles an copying the workouts on GymJones, i saw a preview for 300, then i saw a link to Crossfit.com, that was in January, i am now comitted, and will probably never leave haha. i still love BOTH Crossfit an Gymjones training THE SAME AMOUNT.