CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Jonas Smith

Profile:
I just finished reading "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. It's the story about the greatest loss of Navy SEAL's at one time (11 of them from ST-10 including our "Murphy", plus 8 members of the 160th SOAR), June of 2005 in Afganistan, by the only SEAL to make it out alive.
Tears are welling up in my eyes, and I feel like a dirtbag.

At 35 years old (as of last Tuesday), I sit here in my nice house, my wonderfull wife and son around me, the dogs on the porch... A real American Gothic scene. All my toys, and gear out in the shop, the wifes Volvo and my diesel truck in the driveway.
A bunch of CRAP I dont even need. My biggest concern of the day is if it's going to be too hot to go out to scrape and paint the east side of the house, and when I'm going to make time to workout.
In the meantime we have our very best, most patriotic, and dedicated young men, protecting us from the scourge of the earth, the Taliban and al Queda on the other side of the world.
I feel like crap, because I have become complacent in my support for these men. The radio tells us of 2 more American Soldier deaths in Iraq as if it's just another number. And it almost seems as if it is.

These guys dont ask us for money, fame, or any of that crap AT ALL. All these guys want is a mission. And I know this is a fact, because I know who these men are in the special operations community. Marine Corps Green instead of Navy Blue, but the desert smells the same, as does the ring of a 5.56mm going downrange.
"Please, send me in harms way, so that I can take the wrath of the American people to those who want to destroy us (again)"
These men are people that any employer would give thier right arm to have working for them. It's not about, "What's in it for me?", It's about "What can I do to help?"

Ask anyone under 18 what the 4th of July is all about? I'd bet 80%+ have no idea or could care less. "Just give me my day off and some bottle rockets."
Who knows off the top of thier head the significance of Independence Hall?

What is happening to our Country? What has happened to me?

I am outraged.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Jonas,

Start fighting the good fight by making sure everyone around you knows you care about them, and are there for them. Continue by working to increase your own knowledge of world affairs, and don't be shy about sharing your opinions.

You can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, not least because it won't fit. It's too big.

Look around you. Whatever good you can do, in whatever capacity, do it. To me, that is the most sincere thanks any of us can offer to those who have given their all. We can't bring them back, but we can do what we can do to earn their sacrifices.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Amen, Barry!

And Jonas, don't forget for all of our foibles, we do some amazing things. Example: In 2004, the U.S. government gave $18 billion in foreign aid. Not bad right? The U.S. private sector gave $34 billion dollars during that same year.

Be grateful for what you have and, as Barry said, do what you can.

God bless.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:
An easy idea is find out when they are coming home and join the homecoming celebration. I see you are in Washington. I was stationed at McChord AFB (USAF) which is connected to Fort Lewis (USA) and there is NAS Whidbey Island (USN) near there as well. The PR folks at any of those bases can lead you in the right direction.

(W/FS) list of bases in Washington: http://military-hotels.us/washington/wa-bases.html

Here in Sacramento near where I live now, many people often go to the airport to welcome troops home; I know I've been on that flight many times coming home myself counting the seconds until I get to see my wife again.

One organization that does a really awesome job is the USO. Seatac is about 88 miles from your house, you can volunteer in the USO (W/FS) http://uso.com/ at the airport for a day. Believe me every time I see a volunteer it makes me proud to serve and I thank them all for their contribution.

While it may not seem like much, we in the military really appreciate it, just reading the post you made makes me proud that one more person in our great nation gets it. Put that outrage to good use, make it a positive thing.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I like sending care packages. Support a Soldier has a great Adopt-A-Soldier program going. You commit to sending a care package to however many soldiers you adopt every other month. It's a lot of fun.(w/f safe) supportasoldier.org
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

These are the stories, these are the men, you are the people that make it all so worth while even to want to become a SEAL. I am training to be a SEAL to protect those who love my country and those who live here and couldn't care less. Thanks for loving this amazing place everybody, and soon enough i hope to be out there fihting for you all.