CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
William Brownley

Profile:
I will probably be the only one dieting in my household--because I am the only one who needs to from a weight perspective. I am (sort of) trying the zone. Any tips on how to do this alone? And, as I like to say, I have an awful lot of will power, just not a lot of won't power. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
You are not the only one in your household that needs to eat right. Just because others are not "overweight" does not mean they are as healthy as they could be. The only difference between someone trying to loose weight and another trying to maintain an already good body composition is quantity of fat (in the Zone structure). Food types and breakdown are pretty much the same. Let the others know they will feel much better if they adjust their diets too.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:
A similar but slightly different take on Roger's suggestion;

I am the only one in my house on the Zone. My kids are simply brutal with teasing about weighing and measuring, but it has become an odd little bonding thing. For example, last night I purposely added three extra nuts to my plate in anticipation that my son would "steal" a couple, and he made a big show of stealing exactly three.

While no one else is measuring or weighing, the choices on the table have changed in order to accommodate me. Tons of green veggies, big salads, lentils, and yams instead of bread, rice, white potatoes and pasta. Avacado and guacamole, olive oil and nuts around each meal. Zone friendly protein sources (low carb yogurt, cottage cheese, broiled chicken) in the fridge all the time. No candy or chips but lots of Balance and Zone Balance bars around. The food options in the house are slowly becoming more "clean", and the boys especially are noticing a difference in their athletic performance when they eat well. I'm content that they are slowly creeping toward the Zone--call them "Zonish".

As far as you doing the Zone for you, it's all in the comittment. Want to lean out? Want to lose some bad weight enough to put up with hearing it from the kids? Yes? Then nothing else matters. Don't "sort of try" the Zone. Do it. The mechanics of the Zone, especially the original Zone block system just aren't that big a deal.

Now, not eating pizza has kinda been a big deal...

Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
David Plakos

Profile:
roger and darrell are spot on.

just because someone doesn't look fat doesn't mean the diet can't improve. appearance isn't the only motivator for change, but (sadly) it's the most common. the most important reason should be health. someone may have the metabolism of a hummingbird and look lean but have arteries as clogged as the freeway on your morning commute.

if you're going to make changes for your own health, bringing your family along with you isn't just a good idea -- it's an obligation. it's my job as a husband/father to improve the lives of my family. it may take some coaxing and patience, but it's worth the effort.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
William Brownley

Profile:
Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys. David, what does your slogan mean? Thaks, Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
David Plakos

Profile:
the sandalwood thing?

sandalwood stinks like satan's underarms after doing fight gone bad for five days with no shower, and it has a rather well-founded association with hippies (the bad hippies, not normal people who just happen to like being outdoors, recycle, and bathe regularly). in reading something in the archives, i came across the quote and it reminded me of some of the people back home in olympia and bellingham, washington who thought that sandalwood was an valid substitute for good hygiene. :puke0000:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
William Brownley

Profile:
You must have had an interesting life growing up.
A good Greek growing up in the Pac NW? I bet you have a story or two to tell.

Thanks, Bill