CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:
garage equipment

I know this has been waked several times. Im wanting too start crossfit in my garage. Im wondering what top 5 stuff do I need. Like what size kettlebells what size wall ball etc etc. Plus my local sports outdoor store has a black Friday special for 300 pound olympic weight with Olympic bar for $300. Do I really need the bumper plates or can I just use the 300 pound weight set. I have mma mats laid down in my garage and I dont see myself dropping the weights. Thanks for taking time to answer this for me I really appreciate it. And if you need to know. Im about 290 pounds FAT and I need to do something now. I have very high blood pressure and headaches everyday. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: garage equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbmitchell View Post
I know this has been waked several times. Im wanting too start crossfit in my garage. Im wondering what top 5 stuff do I need. Like what size kettlebells what size wall ball etc etc. Plus my local sports outdoor store has a black Friday special for 300 pound olympic weight with Olympic bar for $300. Do I really need the bumper plates or can I just use the 300 pound weight set. I have mma mats laid down in my garage and I dont see myself dropping the weights. Thanks for taking time to answer this for me I really appreciate it. And if you need to know. Im about 290 pounds FAT and I need to do something now. I have very high blood pressure and headaches everyday. Any help is greatly appreciated
I'd say get th weight set but if you are a newb, then check Craigslist for a decent set. Bumpers aren't a necessity but would be nice. As for other equipment, I suggest a kettlebell, rope, medball and something to do box jumps on.
Look through this forum and you'll find tons of homemade ideas.
Also, I'm assuming you are self-coaching, so don't go too crazy on the workouts in the beginning. Have you consulted a doc regarding the BP and headaches....?

Michael
Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Jeffbmitchell

Profile:

Yea they put me on meds. But the meds give me headaches so that kinda defeats the purpose. I was thinking of buying a pullup bar and a kettlebell from again faster. And then I was thinking a squat rack since I do have Olympic weights already.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Get a squat rack. Buy the olympic weight set if it's a good deal for your budget right now. You can upgrade to a nice bar later if you want / need to.

Other than those things I would say some kettlebells. If you don't have much experience with them I would probably get 2x16kg bells and 1x24kg. If you really want a wall ball you could go ahead and get a 20lb. It's not that heavy, but I don't think this is a necessity. A sandbag would be a good investment for conditioning purposes. No offense to Michael, but I absolutely would not worry about doing box jumps right now. Worry about those when you have dropped a decent amount of weight and gained a good amount of strength.

I honestly think this is all you need right now. Don't worry about following some pages CF program to the T. Work on the basic barbell lifts to get stronger and then work on high rep KB work, sandbag circuits, and a lot of walking and some jogging if it's not too stressful. You can start to add in the CF craziness later as you progress. Buy the extra toys then as you see fit.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Dave Andrews

Profile:

I wouldn't buy a poor quality barbell and steel plates. You will just end up wanting to replace it within a few months of crossfit. Your goal at first should probably be to build a good fitness base, rather then focus on strength anyway. Your limited cash will actually go very far if you are smart with it. The stuff listed below could be bought for well under 500$ and is more then enough to obtain a very high level of fitness.

I would buy:
- Rings
- chinup bar - my choice would be rogue p4 (with assistance bands if needed)
- 53 pound KB
- AB Mat
- PVC pipe with sand (technique work, and can be used for metcon)
- Speed Rope

Homemade stuff - see crossfit journal
- medball
- sandbag
- Parellettes
Old 11-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

- Bar + weights
- Squat Rack (not stands)
- Bench (it could double as something to jump on)
- KB
- jump rope
Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
- Bar + weights
- KB
- jump rope
This is the best advice. Buy bar and bumpers now while they sale. Check the black Friday thread.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
- Bar + weights
- KB
- jump rope
The only thing in here that I would consider adjusting would be the squat rack. The consideration would be space usage.

In my case, I only have half of my garage set up for Crossfit. It's nice, but it's not a whole ton of space. For space efficiency reasons, I elected to go with individual squat stands. Having individual stands isn't optimal of course (if I had my whole garage, I would definitely have gone with a rack), but it allows me to easily and quickly move the stands around the space to suit whatever workout I'm doing and then move them off into a corner when I'm not using them. They have a very small footprint, so when they're not in use, they really are out of the way and not occupying any of the space that I would want for my workout.

- Mark
Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Donna Wilson

Profile:

Like others have mentioned, I would make getting a good squat rack, bench, bar and bumper plates the highest priority, after that I would get a kettlebell or two and a pullup bar. These will be the primary fitness tools you will use for many years so it is a good idea to invest in quality items if your budget allows. Metal plates (and dumbbells) can usually be found on Craigslist for cheap, the plates can supplement your bumpers. Again Faster has a nice package deal right now that includes squat rack, bench, bar and bumpers, and their kettlebells are also on sale, but shop around because so many companies have sales going on.

I would also look into getting the Greyskull LP and 2 conditioning workout ebooks bundle if you don't already have a program you are going to follow, they can be found on the Strength Villain website store. If you had the above equipment you'd be able to follow this program which I think is one of the best for building strength while also improving your conditioning and reducing body fat (when coupled with better nutrition). Good luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
The only thing in here that I would consider adjusting would be the squat rack. The consideration would be space usage.

In my case, I only have half of my garage set up for Crossfit. It's nice, but it's not a whole ton of space. For space efficiency reasons, I elected to go with individual squat stands. Having individual stands isn't optimal of course (if I had my whole garage, I would definitely have gone with a rack), but it allows me to easily and quickly move the stands around the space to suit whatever workout I'm doing and then move them off into a corner when I'm not using them. They have a very small footprint, so when they're not in use, they really are out of the way and not occupying any of the space that I would want for my workout.

- Mark
I totally agree if you have space considerations and a rack isn't feasible, then again if I couldn't fit a rack even an R3 which is pretty small I wouldn't train at home, because I wouldn't want to bench without a power rack. I would still rather have an R3 (and I want an RML6) over a squat stand, not just for safety but because its the centre of any good gym, and you will never really outgrow a good power rack.

The R3 even though its small foot print, can hold up to 800+ pound barbells, and you can do band work off of it, you can throw a dip attachment, pull-ups, you can have to bars on the rack (one inside and one outside) and if you bolt it down that thing is bomb proof. If you strictly oly lift squat stands are ok, but for all around gym, power rack all the way, otherwise if you buy squat stand now you'll wind up upgrading to a rack down the line, because it is more versatile, or buying other pieces to make up for it.

Other consideration is price
Rogue S-1 = 430$ (footprint 48x48) No pull up capability on this model and no safety capabilities, all these options are extra.
Rogue R3 = 760$ (footprint 53x34)

So as you can see the footprints are comparable, so if you don't need to move it EVERYDAY, or you need something small-ish and can leave it in one place go for the rack.