CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Steve M Herman

Profile:
Old Injury & Thinking of Trying CF

A little background on me to draw a picture...

(My point is not to brag, but trying to explain my perspective so I can get some good opinions)

I'm a 37 year old guy that used to be very physically fit, but not so much anymore (6'2" 230#). In high school I was on a "club" for Olympic weightlifting. The Olympic lifting wasn't considered a sport so we were just a club. Pretty much every day we were doing front/back squats, weighted lunges, box jumps, dips, and all variations of clean & jerk as well as snatch. Heck we even jumped with weighted and speed ropes.

I was sort of a CF'er before CF was around.

I got good enough that I was winning state tournaments, then placing in national tournaments, and eventually got invited to Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center to meet the Olympic Weightlifting Team and Coaches. This all had happened before I was 18 years old.

(Now the injury part)

I was in a car accident where I got T-Boned. I saw it coming at the last instant and so I put a death grip on the steering wheel. Keep in mind at the time my grip (from all the Olympic lifting) was pretty strong. The combination of the force of the accident and the sideways motion of my body hitting the side of the vehicle ended up partially tearing the ligaments in both of my wrists.

It ended my Olympic aspirations. The doctors told me that I shouldn't continue the heavy Olympic lifting especially because the long term income potential of an Olympic lifter in the U.S. wasn't particularly high. If I was a highly rated NBA, NFL, MLB recruit they would have had a different recommendation.

I opted to not have a surgery on my hands because I only had pain when I tried to do Olympic lifting. At the time (in 1993) the doctors weren't quite sure the extent of my injury, and couldn't really tell me what sort of improvement I would experience post surgery.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago and I went and got new images done on my wrists. Technology had improved and now the doctors can see that I actually have partial tears (in 1993 they were half guessing). The process they want to do is trim the ligament that is "hanging" in the wrong spot. Likely the discomfort I experience is inflammation from that tissue being out of place. 10 day recovery X 2 hands = almost a month out of commission. Or 10 day recovery both hands at the same time = my wife proves that she REALLY loves me.

I asked will I be able to do push ups without pain? Doc said unlikely...

I still haven't gotten the procedure. Still considering it since I am not getting any younger and I know that the discomfort will likely get worse as I age and the recovery time will be longer if I continue to wait.

I've been reading up about CF and watching videos. I'm most excited about finding a place to TRY and do Olympic lifting again. I haven't tried it in over 15 years. I'm hoping I'm able to do it again. (For competing back then we weren't allowed to wear any brace or taping on our hands, but for CF I can tape myself up.) Maybe not the snatch though, that puts a lot of pressure on the wrists.

For years if I tried to do any fitness at all I've stayed away from pushing exercises.

Now I am looking at CF as a way to sort of recapture a little bit of something that was taken away from me instantaneously so many years ago. But I am also a little bit scared. Some videos are crazy intense which has me equally excited, intrigued, and freaked out. In the past I was used to working out until I felt I would vomit, but I don't think I ever pushed myself as much as some of these WODs I've seen.

My goal at this point in my life is to just be healthy and look good. I'm sneaking up on 40 so my body has aches and I don't look as good as I used to.

So with the type of injury I have should I look into the CF gyms near me? I don't know if the trainers have enough instruction to know how to work through or around injuries. I've had gym memberships, but I've never worked with a PT. I always thought I knew more than any I've ever met at 24HR Fitness.

If I get into a CF gym will I be unfair to the group because I will (likely) always have to do some different WOD?

Should I try to implement my own program at home? Being honest I think I'll be less successful because of life getting in the way.

Or should I just find something else altogether? I doubt this is the approach anyone here will take, but it is a legitimate question. Maybe I should just try running. You don't need your hands to run.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. This is my first post here. I figure since you all are actually doing the exercises you'll have valuable insight into how adapatable the program would be for my situation.

Last edited by Steve M Herman; 06-29-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Old Injury & Thinking of Trying CF

[QUOTE=Steve M Herman;1073579]A little background on me to draw a picture...

(My point is not to brag, but trying to explain my perspective so I can get some good opinions)

I'm a 37 year old guy that used to be very physically fit, but not so much anymore (6'2" 230#). In high school I was on a "club" for Olympic weightlifting. The Olympic lifting wasn't considered a sport so we were just a club. Pretty much every day we were doing front/back squats, weighted lunges, box jumps, dips, and all variations of clean & jerk as well as snatch. Heck we even jumped with weighted and speed ropes.

I was sort of a CF'er before CF was around.

I got good enough that I was winning state tournaments, then placing in national tournaments, and eventually got invited to Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center to meet the Olympic Weightlifting Team and Coaches. This all had happened before I was 18 years old.

(Now the injury part)

I was in a car accident where I got T-Boned. I saw it coming at the last instant and so I put a death grip on the steering wheel. Keep in mind at the time my grip (from all the Olympic lifting) was pretty strong. The combination of the force of the accident and the sideways motion of my body hitting the side of the vehicle ended up partially tearing the ligaments in both of my wrists.

It ended my Olympic aspirations. The doctors told me that I shouldn't continue the heavy Olympic lifting especially because the long term income potential of an Olympic lifter in the U.S. wasn't particularly high. If I was a highly rated NBA, NFL, MLB recruit they would have had a different recommendation.

I opted to not have a surgery on my hands because I only had pain when I tried to do Olympic lifting. At the time (in 1993) the doctors weren't quite sure the extent of my injury, and couldn't really tell me what sort of improvement I would experience post surgery.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago and I went and got new images done on my wrists. Technology had improved and now the doctors can see that I actually have partial tears (in 1993 they were half guessing). The process they want to do is trim the ligament that is "hanging" in the wrong spot. Likely the discomfort I experience is inflammation from that tissue being out of place. 10 day recovery X 2 hands = almost a month out of commission. Or 10 day recovery both hands at the same time = my wife proves that she REALLY loves me.

I asked will I be able to do push ups without pain? Doc said unlikely...

I still haven't gotten the procedure. Still considering it since I am not getting any younger and I know that the discomfort will likely get worse as I age and the recovery time will be longer if I continue to wait.

I've been reading up about CF and watching videos. I'm most excited about finding a place to TRY and do Olympic lifting again. I haven't tried it in over 15 years. I'm hoping I'm able to do it again. (For competing back then we weren't allowed to wear any brace or taping on our hands, but for CF I can tape myself up.) Maybe not the snatch though, that puts a lot of pressure on the wrists.

For years if I tried to do any fitness at all I've stayed away from pushing exercises.

Now I am looking at CF as a way to sort of recapture a little bit of something that was taken away from me instantaneously so many years ago. But I am also a little bit scared. Some videos are crazy intense which has me equally excited, intrigued, and freaked out. In the past I was used to working out until I felt I would vomit, but I don't think I ever pushed myself as much as some of these WODs I've seen.

My goal at this point in my life is to just be healthy and look good. I'm sneaking up on 40 so my body has aches and I don't look as good as I used to.

So with the type of injury I have should I look into the CF gyms near me? I don't know if the trainers have enough instruction to know how to work through or around injuries. I've had gym memberships, but I've never worked with a PT. I always thought I knew more than any I've ever met at 24HR Fitness.

If I get into a CF gym will I be unfair to the group because I will (likely) always have to do some different WOD?

Should I try to implement my own program at home? Being honest I think I'll be less successful because of life getting in the way.

Or should I just find something else altogether? I doubt this is the approach anyone here will take, but it is a legitimate question. Maybe I should just try running. You don't need your hands to run.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. This is my first post here. I figure since you all are actually doing the exercises you'll have valuable insight into how adapatable the program would be for my situation.[/QUOTE
Start slow, scale the weights and repetitions, avoid pain and who cares what anyone else thinks, it is your workout. Coaches are good at giving modified workouts for people new to the sport.