CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Russ Hillis

Profile:
IT Band / iliotibial band syndrome prevention - cure?

What can I do to prevent this injury from getting worse? Did a triathlon 3 wks ago and when I bailed off the bike, there it was. Nothing like being side swiped in a race. Went to the physio therapist a couple of days later and she gave me some stretches & foam roller stuff to do. In the mean time, under the impression this was a running injury - I continued to train for an Aqua-bike race (1500m swim / 40k bike, basically 2/3rds of a Oly distance triathlon) It felt better for a about a week, tender just before the race but being a stubborn arse and this being the race I have been training for since January seems to have been a bad mix. Now, 3 days later I'm still sore, I feel like it's getting worse, hoping I haven't really screwed the pooch on this one. Pretty sure there's no instant cure for this. On the bright side, at least I don't have any more races that "I have to" go to.

Okay enough, woe is me whining - what can I do to get on the road to recovery?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: IT Band / iliotibial band syndrome prevention - cure?

Key words I look for- "3 weeks, and getting worse"

Find a better physical/manual therapist or Chiro. IT band issues are typically a sign of problems elsewhere. My guesses, underactive glutes, or poor core activation. Just guessing...find a doctor.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Russ Hillis

Profile:

A glute activation "drill" is already part of the therapy. I guess I should have been more precise, she only gave me one glute activation exercise, I'm looking for more.

Last edited by Russ Hillis; 06-19-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Steven Low's got that excellent article to guide you in the right direction. Off the top of my head thing to focus on are:

1. Probably going to have to cut down significantly on the volume of exercise for some time.
2. Really Hammer Hip extension, external rotation and abduction strength. Band mini walks, single leg deadlifting etc all with good technique
3. Short Foot Position - strengthen those footsies
4. Time for new shoes?
5. Maybe orthotics.
6. Have someone qualified check your running/biking technique and see if anything is going on.

Let me know how it goes,
Dan Pope
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Russ Hillis

Profile:

Shoes are shiny new, well pretty much - they don't even have 200k (120 miles) on them yet.
Orthotics? Maybe...
Running technique - sucks, I'm a heal striker. Gotta fix that, not sure how, wish me luck finding a good running coach in this metropolis
Cycling - going to get re-assessed as soon as I get near a real bike shop.

I have made a point of thinking about making the gluts fire first while walking, the pain seems to be alleviated from doing this. In fact so much so, I refuse to believe an issue this painful could have such a simple solution.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Believe it. The complicated part comes from chasing every joint that hurts. Find it, fix it and forget about. Chase it, and it'll come back some place else.
Rarely is the site of pain, the major contributor to your actual painful area. Except when you're talking about direct trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hillis View Post
Shoes are shiny new, well pretty much - they don't even have 200k (120 miles) on them yet.
Orthotics? Maybe...
Running technique - sucks, I'm a heal striker. Gotta fix that, not sure how, wish me luck finding a good running coach in this metropolis
Cycling - going to get re-assessed as soon as I get near a real bike shop.

I have made a point of thinking about making the gluts fire first while walking, the pain seems to be alleviated from doing this. In fact so much so, I refuse to believe an issue this painful could have such a simple solution.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Russ Hillis

Profile:

sooo, looking ahead - I hopped on my bike last night to see where I'm at (on the street obviously ) and discovered that it seems nearly impossible to feel the glutes being recruited on the down phase of the pedal cycle. Is there a drill or drills to achieve better glut activation on my road bike?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Selina McFall

Profile:

Are your running shoes properly fitted by an expert? I had a recurrent niggling pain in my thigh / hip whilst long distance running training, never got bad enough for me to see a PT though. I then went to Pro Feet in London and had new running shoes and orthotics properly fitted. They showed me why my over-pronation was causing the pains in my thigh. I had had shoes fitted before, but not orthotics, and the earlier shop weren't such experts.

Since I got the orthotics I haven't had a running injury since.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Russ Hillis

Profile:

Since the injury first presented itself after riding my bike and is easily alleviated until I ride my bike, I have a feeling it's best to focus on bike set up and pedalling technique first. Cycling is known to cause ITBS also.