CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Sharp pain in left foot when trying to run Pose

I'll try to keep this short...

probably about 18 months ago I came across a thread about Pose running and got all excited. i had been wearing the average Joe supportive athletic shoes and ran heel-striking. thats if I ever ran or jogged which was pretty much never. so i ordered a pair of H streets and ran a 5K trying to Pose as much of it as I could.

so yeah, ever since then I've had this sharp pain on the bottom of my left foot when I try to run Pose. i also get it every once in a while when I'm just walking around the house. the pain seems to happen more when I'm barefoot as opposed to wearing shoes. i feel the pain (in my left foot) when i'm putting weight down on my right foot and lifting my left foot up behind me. it's a sharp pain and feels like its coming from the bottom middle of my foot. it only lasts a second and it's gone. i pretty much gave up on the 5Ks and just pushed through it on the 400m and 800m runs when the WOD called for it. i seldom ran/jog so it wasn't really that big of a deal. then i messed up my back and i haven't done anything besides pullups/dips for the past 8 months. well i've been working out almost daily for the past couple weeks and went for a walk with some very minimal jogging to see if it was still an issue (as I haven't felt it in a long time). Sure enough as soon as I jogged like 100m I started feeling the pain. At first I wasn't sure if I was feeling it or if I was just imagining it but after another couple hundred meters it was pretty bad and I resorted to walking. I was jogging very lightly, I wasn't landing on my toes, I was warmed up, I was talking small steps...

I jogged heel-striking and I didn't have any pain from my foot (just my joints aching). i then sprinted pose for about 100m and didn't have any pain. it just seems to be when I jog.

i'm sure whatever it is was self-induced by my eagerness to jump headfirst into something I had no experience with.

i searched and found posts about shin splits (which I dont have), and also about some Plantar fasciitis but those people complained of pain 1st thing in the morning which I dont have...

so any ideas what it is?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sharp pain in left foot when trying to run Pose

You might wanna get that checked out by a doc.

Sharp pain tends not to be good.. something may be articulating wrong. There's 3 muscle layers under the foot + plantar fascia so it's kinda complicated to say anything about pain underneath the foot without getting it checked out professionally.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Michael,

feels like someone stabs you in the middle of the sole of your foot? But comes and goes, not always? No pain when static load bearing (e.g., during standing)?

That's a classic. Gastrocnemius triggerpoint. See pic for TrP1 to the left in image below.

http://triggerpoints.net/userfiles/Gastrocnemius.jpg

Search for a hard lump of muscle tissue in your upper calves (probably all cramped). Grit your teeth and massage with knee of other side leg while sitting. See http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=27539 for why and how to massage.

It comes more often during jogging as compared to harder running since jogging in Pose is primarily driven by the calves. You can try to stretch out your calves shortly and massage them during runs, too - that will help. And be sure to have enough minerals on board before starting to run hard.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Michael Leach

Profile:

Hey Christian, thanks for the very helpful reply! I've checked my upper calves several times and cant find any hard lumps or muscles or anything. But I've been working on massaging that area whenever I think about it anyways as this makes sense and hopefully it'd be this easy to resolve. I've also got a deep tissue massage (that I had previously scheduled) coming up this Friday. I'll mention it then to see if they can find anything.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Hi Michael,

no hard lumps in your calves?

Well, maybe the whole area is cramped, so you don't notice the difference. You really need to dig in hard - the calves are strong. Tell the deep tissue massage guy to give you a good calve massage. If you can survive that without crying, then the problem is somewhere else. Easy way to check ;-) ...

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian