CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Dennis Marshall

Profile:
Wondering if anyone has had any success with applying the GTG concept to running? Running is a glaring weakness for me at this point and a limiting factor in my WOD performances. In particular, I seem to have the most trouble with 400m distances and the WODs that include them. Trying to wrap my head around the concept of whether GTG would apply to running performance (I don't see why it wouldn't?) but wanted other's opinions/experiences.

Any input is most appreciated.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Dennis,

Here's a wf/s link to the article by Pavel:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

Don't get too caught up in the details. If your running performance is weak and you don't run much, running more often will boost your performance. Go for it. Substitute WODs with running in them, or sub running into your WODs. Maybe give yourself a dedicated running day. Good luck and happy running.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Dennis, I suffered from the same thing myself years ago. I was doing triathlons and my running for training was mostly LSD. I slogged along mile after mile never improving--oh I could run many 9 and 10 minutes miles but I never increased in speed. I'm not sure if what you're describing is what I went through. And let me state that I'm far from being an expert or possesing any credentials in coaching, but here's what worked for me. Someone, I even forget who, said "If you want to run fast --then run fast!" So I thought I'd give it a try. Even though I could run ten or fifteen LSD miles without hardly any effort, when I tried to sprint 400 meters, I fell apart about half way at 200 meters. So I shortened the distance I was sprinting to the point that I just began to feel I was starting to fade. That was about 200 meters. I started there. I ran a hard 200 for about two weeks, each session running as many as I could but not to failure. I ran two to three times a week and each week after I would add ten or twenty yards. When I felt strong there, I added more yardage. In a couple of months I was ripping off 400 meters in about 73 seconds. Not fast, but a real improvement for me. And I felt good and strong after each session. Sorry if I seemed to ramble on, but I'm not the best at explaining things and I wanted to make sure I got it right.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Ryan Norman

Profile:
GTG and running sounds like torture to me!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

LSD is different for everybody but frankly if you can run a 7:00 mile for example, then you should run your LSD runs at 8:00 pace. not 10:00 jogging pace...just a thought. GTG is basically what Milers and 5k guys use to train. for example:

Warmup 1 mile jog + 100m strides x 8
8x200m at 29sec jog 200m in between and start immediately
6x400m at 64sec jog 400m in between then start immediately
5x100m at 13.8-14.1sec jog 100 in between then start immmediately
Cooldown with 6x100m strides

That was my workout on monday. Granted i am trying to run a 4:10 mile, so it may look insane, but it works, just scale it back.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I've found that if I run two days in a row, the second day's run feels better and easier than the first day's.
I never run 3 days in row though. I doubt it will continue like that, y'know 4th day better than the third etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

My first Kenpo teacher was a huge guy; he had devastating power but also had some of the fastest hands I ever saw (and I saw a lot).

I asked him one day how I could train to punch that hard and that fast.

He looked at me and explained slowly, "Hit the heavy bag...as HARD as you can...as FAST as you can. Every time."
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Dennis, Milton here again. I got to thinking more about your question of applying GTG to running. The way I understand GTG is, whatever exercise your trying to improve in, you need to do it throughout the day at a submaximal pace or reps. They always use pullups as an example. If your max pullups is 6 then do 3 or 4 reps many times throughout the entire day. How would one apply that to running? Or in your case, in increasing your times in the 400 meters. Should you go outside and run a couple of dozens submaximal 400 meter runs spaced throughout the day? Just wondering, since your question was how to apply GTG to running. maybe others have some thoughts on this. Or maybe you're satisfied with the answers you have received already.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
Dennis Marshall

Profile:
Thanks to all for the input. Milton - my question exactly. I understand that in order to become better at running, I need to run more. But what I am interested in is understanding how to apply the GTG concept to improve running performance (or whether it would apply in this case?). Particularly because GTG entails frequent submaximal efforts. So, rather than just adding more runs to the WODs or adding a few hard runs each week as others have suggested, I would be heading out the door every hour or so and hitting a submaximal effort run. From what I understand about GTG, the adaptations that take place are neurological..."synaptic facilitation" as Pavel describes. I can comprehend how this would positively affect performance in movements such as pullups, pushups, squats, etc. However, since running performance is so highly dependent on stamina and cardiorespiratory endurance, does GTG still have the same affect? Guess I should just give it a shot and see how it goes...
Old 07-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Jim Gotti

Profile:
It sounds very masochistic to me, but I can see it being applied to increase your lactic threshold which will more or less be deemed your "speedwork". However, after a few days, without proper recovery, I can see injury or fatigue setting in prior to any real benefit taking place.

If you are looking for endurance, I can't see it working at all since you would more or less be running nonstop for 8-10hours a day.

Test it out though, emperical > theory.

(Message edited by gotti on July 26, 2007)