CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Seth E Adkins

Profile:
Seth's Journey on Becoming a Beast

First off just want to say thanks for stopping in to check out my Log. I have lurked around the CF Forums for awhile and thought it would be great to start a log of my own. I have lifted wieghts and jumped around through various workout routines over the past 2 years. I have tried powerlifting splits, bodybuilding splits, some olympic lifting, and even some RossTraining and Crossfit WOD's. My biggest problem has probably been that I try to mix everything together too much and dont stick with one program wholeheartedly to experience gains and improvement. I also work a very physical job m-f so my recovery time is not the quickest. So I have decided that my main goal right now is to increase my overall strength and muscle mass. I want to do this in order to go into crossfit being able to finish the WOD's without scaling them down because of a lack of strenghth.

I am going to be following the Texas Method approach from Rippetoe for 60 days Intensely and Wholeheartedly.

My current Stats:
-6'4" Tall, 208 lbs, 23 years young
-Bench 1RM: 180 lbs *Goal of 225 on December 13th*
-Standing OH Press 1RM: 135 lbs *Goal of 160 on December 13th*
-Back Squat 1RM: 150lbs (Just last week started doing them correctly, *** to Ground so I expect this number to improve dramatically) *Goal of 275 on December 13th*
-Deadlift 1RM: 290lbs *Goal of 360 on December 13th*
-Power Clean 1RM: 165lbs *Goal of 210 on December 13th*

The Program:

Monday (Volume)
-Back Squat 5X5
-Bench 5X5
-Power Cleans 5X3
-GHD Situps

Wednesday (Recovery)
-Front Squat 3X3 @ 80%
-Standing OHP 3X5
-Power Cleans 3X3 @ 80%
-Weighted Chinups 3X5-7
-Back Extensions

Friday (Intensity)
-Back Squat work to a max set of 3-5
-Bench Press work to a max set of 3-5
-Deadlift work to a max set of 3-5

I am going to include 1-2 short but intense conditioning workouts a week (Speed Rope, Sprints, etc) probably on monday and friday after lifting.

As far as nutrition goes, I have always been a hard gainer. I have fluctuated between 205-212lbs for all of my life. Add to that the fact that I work a strenuous physical job, and we are looking at 4000-5000 calories a day to build muscle. I find it very difficult to eat strictly with zone principles and get this many calories. So I am not going to worry too much about eating the perfect zone diet, because my caloric needs are big. I am going to focus on getting 6-12 servings of fruit and vegetables, along with lean cut meats, whole grains and brown rice, olive oil, Flax and Fish Oils, Nuts, and of course Milk. I will keep the soda, junkfood sweets and such out of my diet. Anything that falls into this category is going to be eaten. This is all part of my quest to becoming the Beast that I know I am. This quest is going to last for 60 days, ending on December 13th. I will retest my 1RM's and we will see what will happen.

I hope that you will follow along, giving me insight and encouragement as that is always helpful. I know there is a great deal of knowledgeable people that lurk here on the forum, so I hope to have the pleasure of your advice if you feel its necessary.

I will post the first workout tomorrow... Goodnight
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Seth E Adkins

Profile:
Re: Seth's Journey on Becoming a Beast

Today went pretty well. I am going to be working out basically before work at around 5am as I work at a high school and we have a weight room on campus. Because of the time, I was not very motivated at first this morning, and I kept on thinking of excuses to not work out - but I managed to change my mindset and do my routine.

Back Squat:
135X5
135X5
135X5
135X5
135X5

*My back was still pretty sore from heavy deadlifting Saturday so I didnt try and up my numbers here. I want to make sure I keep good form on everything.

Flat Bench Press:
145X5
145X5
150X5
155X5
155X5

*Bench felt pretty good.

Power Cleans:
135X3
145X3
155X3
155X3
155X3

*Cleans felt great considering my back is still really sore.

Overall good workout, but I am really looking forward to setting some PR's on friday.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Seth E Adkins

Profile:

I did not sleep well last night, for many reasons that we wont get into. So like always I kept on making excuses to not workout because I was too tired. I managed to get my butt out of bed though and get to the weight room at 5:15am. I actually did pretty well on the SOHP's, I think I will be working with 120 next time around for all 5 sets. Chinups did not go well. I only got 6 reps out on the first set and then 5 on the next 2. I blame this on lack of sleep, and for the fact that I am eating everything I can get my hands on.

I have been thinking throughout the day about my workout on Friday, and how I would like to obliterate my PR's. I think this is going to be my mindset throughout this journey, on my off days I am going to think about and visualize myself pushing that weight up.

Front Squat:
115X3
115X3
115X3

Im going to have to work on these, they felt very awkward to do.

Standing OHP:
115X5
115X5
115X5
115X5
120X4

Chinups:
BWX6
BWX5
BWX5

I decided to throw out the power cleans on wednesdays as I would be pulling from the floor 3 days a week if I didnt. I am debating on whether I should Push Press or Jerk on mondays alternating with the bench press, or even just do incline bench press on mondays. Im not too concerned with my bench, I just want a strong Press. Any ideas or input?

Until next time
Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Seth E Adkins

Profile:

I have made the statement that records would be broken today, Friday various times throughout the week. If you know me, you know that I dont like to make statements and not follow through with them... So I demolished my PR's today in a big way. I dont have my Log book with me so I cannot write down all of my sets and reps working up to my maxes, but here is what I accomplished at around 0515 hours this morning while by myself at a deserted High School weight room...

Back Squat:
210X1 (+30lbs PR!)
*Would have gone for 225 but I had noone to spot me)

Bench Press:
185X1 (+10lbs PR!)
*Again no spot so I never failed at a higher weight but 185 was tough to get up

Deadlift:
325X1 (+35lbs PR!)
*This was very hard but I could have maybe done more, although my form was breaking at this point

Then I Jumped Rope 750 times as fast as I could in HIIT format.

So there you have it. In my initial post I wrote that 180 was my Bench 1RM, but after looking back at my old logs it was actually only 175. Also I have done 210 on the Back Squat before, but I never used to break parallel so they did not count in my opinion. Overall I am very pleased because as you can see I am making strength gains. It really encourages me because it is very hard when you are eating so much and are always full and bloated from the GOMAD, but when you see progress it makes it worthwhile.

Thats it for today, Im going to get some rest and enjoy my weekend, then back at it on monday.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Seth E Adkins

Profile:

Just wanted to chime in on some things regarding my more long term goals with fitness. After I complete this cycle with the Texas Method for Strength approach, I am going to focus on leaning out and improving my GPP/Work Capacity/Cardiovascular health. Ideally, Id like to incorporate a somewhat of a Hybrid approach to Crossfit - similar to Gant's approach. I want to do this in order to maintain my strength/muscle levels, while being able to improve my crossfit performance and lower my bodyfat level through diet too. I am going to be taking progress pictures at the end of my SS cycle, and again after the next 60 days.

I am really starting to realize that fitness is going to be a part of my life from here on out. Its something that I care about, and I am getting the idea that I may want to do it as a career. Byway of being a trainer, or possibly opening up my own facility further on down the road. The possibilities are endless, especially since to my knowledge there is not a Crossfit Affiliate withing 30 miles of the city I live in.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Seth E Adkins

Profile:

Did not have a chance to work out this morning before work, was very limited on time. I did however try out my Press 1RM just for the heck of it. My last PR was 135lbs. I was on my break at work and a coworker asked about how my program was going, so I went into the weight room with him for a few minutes. I got up 135lbs, 140lbs, and then 145lbs as a strict Standing Overhead Press. If I would have went for 150lbs after 135lbs I think I could have got it, but after doing 145lbs I couldn't get 150lbs up. Anyways, hopefully it doesnt affect my lifting tonight. Ill post after I am done, headed to the weight room right now...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Seth E Adkins

Profile:

Okay, below was mondays workout.

Power Clean:
180X1 *NEW PR!!!!!*
160X3
160X3
160X3
160X3
160X3

*These felt great, maybe could have gone up to 165 but I attempted 180 and hit a PR. I failed the 185 attempt though.

Back Squat:
150X5
150X5
150X5
150X5
150X5

*These were extremely difficult, I dont know if it was because I had a strenuous day at work or what, but I managed to finish though.

Flat Bench Press:
160X5
160X5
160X5
160X5
160X5

*Bench felt pretty good, a little struggling on the 5th reps but I got them up.

Overall my volume was increased considerably on all three lifts, and I achieved a PR on Press and Power Clean. Time for some sleep......