CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
John King

Profile:

Everyone,
Iam trying out for my police departments SWAT team and I know that CrossFit is the way to smoke the entrance test. My problem is, I dont know how, well I do. But I have a big gut. I do OK on the WODs, and Im actually very muscular everywhere else, but Im getting sick of looking at this thing. At 5'6" I should weigh something like 160 pounds but Im over 200. Im starting to get frustrated. Im embarassed to event talk about this with people I dont even know. My diet isnt all that bad, but I have a weakness for beer. On the weekends I tend to put away about 10 or so. Do you think if I laid off the brew, I might see a difference? Any advice would be great, just dont make fun of me! Im very sensitive....Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
John-
I guarantee the beer is a factor. Between the insulin spike from the ethanol and the estrogens in the hops it is a perfect recipe for a "beer gut"!
Robb
Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, Being a cop myself I know the job contributes to poor eating habits. I imange if you truly examine your eating habits for about two weeks you will see an excess of Kcal. Go to the libary and take out books on the zone diet. slowly break yourself into the diet. I would suggest finding two recipies per meal that you like and restrict yourself to those meals 5 x day. Cut the beer (sorry) you could add some in later when you get the gut down. Keep doing the WOD, you don't need to add to it. Really, fat loss is all about diet. You may want to pump up the protein from the Zone a little.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
John,

I can sympathize completely. I am fond of beer myself. A few years ago, I used to down 3-4 Texas Red Beers a night (Red Dog, in my case, with v-8 juice; it sounds awful, but is actually quite good), and 5-9 on weekends. I found I had substantial trouble cutting down, so I had to give it up completely.

If you are as fond of beer as I was, it's a bit like losing a friend. The key is to substitute something else in place of the drinking. I.E., when you would have been drinking, do something else. In my case I started working out. Since you're already working out, you might want to take up, or pursue harder, something else that will help you on SWAT.

I think competitive shooting would be an excellent complement to CrossFit. It sounds kind of sissy, but I personally could really get into the .22 pistol stuff. As I'm sure you know, you got skeet, combat pistol, long-range shooting, etc. Rock climbing would be good, too. The key is to reoccupy your mind with something else.

I have taken up modest drinking again--1 shot a night, usually--and an occasional bender with my friends. I had a bit of a belly when I started CrossFit, and have gotten quite slim on nothing other than the WOD, and trying to only eat when I have a bit of hunger, and following Zone principles. If you eat just 3 squares a day, I will bet money you'll lose the gut in no time.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
lose the beer. also, smaller portions when eating and treat potatoes, rice, pasta and breads as condiments. eat some almonds 30 mns prior to your main meals and throw in a couple/three "snacks" during the day. make sure protein/fat/carbs present in all. and like larry said, pick up the zone by barry sears. lastly, start upping the intensity of your pt.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #6
Mike Mahler

Profile:  
You definitely have to lay off the beer and contrary to what many people say, no amount of exercise will make up for a crappy diet. At least no sane amount ;-) Cut the beer out for a while or at least cut back and you will notice a big difference.

When I was in college, I was strong but used to drink all the time. Thus, I graduated with more than a BA in religious studies ;-) Once I got out of school, I desisted from drinking too much and my stomach flattened out in no time.

Mike Mahler
Old 11-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
John King

Profile:

Mike,
You have a degree in "Religious Studies"? I find that interesting. By the way have I told you that you are the man?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Mike Mahler

Profile:  
Thanks for the praise John and yes I do have a degree in Religious Studies. I focused on eastern religions and philosophies such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sufism. Definitely helped me develop the life philosophy that I have now.

Mike Mahler
www.mikemahler.com