CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
Wim Lokate

Profile:
I have fouds this site true a tip of a man that knew this site.
I am 45 years of age and practice martial arts from the age of 15 (all kinds of martial arts).
I have never done specific strengthtraining only the normal push-ups, sit-ups etc.

And then 2 times a week do some running as additional training.
But since Internet everybody is talking about the importantcy of weighttraining for the martial arts.
There are so many different workout programms, seems that every martial artist have his own way of training wich he believes is the best.
So I have tryd everything, H.I.T.-training, low rep training, dynamic tension, workouts from Zwarzenegger, bodyweight workouts etc. etc.
Nothing seems to suit me, mostly becuse I find these exercises boring after some time.
I read the information on this site and I find very usefull things here.
Exercises with gymnastic exercises and all these kind of different workouts.
Just wondering if all these WOD-workouts can work together with my martial arts training.
Is there somebody out there who does the same thing?
I can imagine that if you do only the WOD workout dayly you dont have a problem but how do you incoperate WOD in to, for example, martial arts training routine?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
CrossFit works gorgeous for martial arts. I'm not training at the moment..just CrossFit...but when I did; I would do the WOD in the afternoon and martial arts at night. I liked to keep at least six hours between sessions.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Hello Graham,

I have read several post on this forum and most of the guys/girls say that the workouts are quit heavy. So I thought it was not so good idea to train the WOD and martial arts on the same day.
When you did both did you have good results (I mean in building up strength and condition for the martial arts). And did you tone-up a little to?
Because I want to be in shape but I want to look in shape as well.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
You might want to build up to doing both on the same day...depending on your fitness level.

I had excellent results...especially if you do something like judo or something that requires lots of full contact time. You can keep going for a long long time and remain powerfull. Before I needed rest periods like my training partners.

I'm too young to be able to notice if I toned up...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 AM   #5
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Hello Graham,

Hahaha, to young to notice.
I try to train full-contact training as much as possible. Right now I am quit in everything thas had to do with Jeet Kune Do.
I think for some exercises, for example, rope-climbing, I cannot do that. I train at home so I dont have a rope here.
I know its a good exercise and I wish I could practice that.
To me its seems that the WOD is a good allround conditioning workout.
I have read a artcle of coach Sommer. Man, that realy impressed me.
Do you know if he already have write a book?
He says he want to that but I cannot get contact with him.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Wim, think of Crossfit as your base program. Crossfit will give you strength, power, accuracy, anerobic and anerobic conditioning and let you translate that into your sport (MA). Once you get used to Crossfit, you should have no problems intergrating your martial arts training on the same day as the WOD.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Wim - welcome.

At first, you might build slowly and on days you want to really give your all to martial arts, either do the wod at half intensity or skip it. Later on, you will build the endurance to do both with a break of a few hours in between.

CrossFit is excellent for martial arts.

By the way, we know someone in common - Joshu's Dog is my husband. On this site he is known as Jonathan Kessler. I drop in on that site too but only rarely.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Hello to all,

Thanks for your post. I am alreday incoperate WOD in my dayly schedule.
Works much better then the standard weight workout routines.
Sometimes these routines are very demanding but sometimes (for example for the 5 km run) is easy because I like to run.
This way ou can train your whole body not thinking of if you do to much running or to much strengthtraining. Just mix it all.
So after that you can focus on martial arts completly.
Great site.
Beth, give my greetings to Jonathan.
P.s. I have found a Dutch Crossfit member. He is realy great in aswering my questions.
He has a lot of knowledge and for me its much more eayser to ask things in Dutch because I am a little bit older and my Englisch is not that good.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Wim,

Here is my experience of martial arts and the WOD.

When i started doing the WOD I was mostly doing them directly before my mixed martial arts class and for the first few weeks it left me absolutely exhausted even though I came from what i thought was a decent base of fitness (i'm a fitness trainer)

For the first few weeks i got thrashed at any sparring but then i began to notice that other people were running out of gas before me, even when i'd done a big WOD just before the class.

About two months after i started the WODs I had a competition the day after a 5 hour fitness workshop ( I was instructing) and an interstate trip. All I did was show up for the comp and beat a guy who outweighed me by 14 kg before fighting the winners of two other weight divisions and winning one of the bouts simply by outlasting the guy and then outmuscling him.

I lost of a much more skillful opponent but i felt fresh enough that I was looking for more people to fight!

The short version is that the WOD can be pretty nasty to start with but once you build up to it you will notice HUGE inprovements in your strength and endurance and everyone will be scared of you. Assuming technical competence.... which i severely lack:biggrin:
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Hello Don,

thanks for the reply.
May I ask you if you have had the same problem as me with all these other routines?
Sometimes I think that a routine feels good, and when I am done with that routine I feel great and tell myself to stick to that routine. But then 2 days later orso I can hardly set myself for doiing that routine again because I know what I have to do.
So the I focus for a period off time on my strength and find that my endurance seems to go backwards. So the I try to run a little bit more but after a while I dont feel that strong anymore so I start to run more and so on and so on.
I think WOD is a perfect base for my martial arts training. It does not take hours to do so I think I can fit it in into my MA-training without thinking that I am loosing strength or stamina.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Realy appriciated it.
Take care

Wim