CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #71
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jesse-
Looks great to me! Keep that flow chart in mind if you start bonking on met-cons.

Kevin-
Hippie meat is stringy and not any better than ground squirell...better meals to be had elsewhere.

Fruit? Not sure. I'd tend towards low fructose items like berries and mellons. Once winter hits focus on ground vegetables like beets, yams...oh! Dont forget pumpkins and other squash!

Dwayne- Glad I could help.

Scott-It was...interesting. None of the vegans looked healthy. ALL of them were over-weight. Teh whole thing was boradcast ont he local community access channel. We are trying to get a copy of the video and put my opening statement on the NorCal Strength & Conditioning site and the P-menu. I have to say it was pretty good. I was nervous though...wanted to pooop my britches
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #72
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Wow just started my carb load after 12 days of <30
just had 3 cups of blue berries zzzzzzzzzz I am going back to sleep now.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #73
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I'd keep the carb load moderate...and try to take a wolk or somehting along that line to enhance insulin sens. You can also try to time this for a post worklout period and it will likely be even better. Historically the worst part of this is people going overboad on the carbs.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #74
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
i think it was asked a few posts ago if 3 days low carb 1 off was ok for carb cycling. i can't find where/if it was answered.
second question, if you use good carb sources on your high carb days and decrease the prot those days, will that be enough to bring your net diet back to alkaline?
Old 09-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #75
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Kathryn-
Anywhere between 3-5 on, 1-off is fine. Don't go bananas on the carb up! If you are eating plenty of greenery you will still be quite low carb but taking in adequate base to balance th eacid of the protein.

Charles Poliquin has worked with Mauro DiPasquale extensively..here is a great article from Poliquin's Nutrition Dude:
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/members/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16 5

pay special attention to the protein recomendations. Right i line with the Zone.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #76
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Jesse, just got slammed with the sinus throat achy joint thing. Did you actually get sick or did it just pass? Funny I should really feel it during the carb load... I seem to remember similar experience going on and off a strict zone in the past.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 AM   #77
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I felt like absolute crap for a day and a half, now it's 4 days later and I just have a little stuffiness, so I'm still not sure if it's the switch or perhaps a bug going around.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #78
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jessie, been 7 days for me and I jumped on the antibiotics...it's killing me! You guys got me (especially you Robb), I'll try the Metabolic Diet at about 30 grams CHO a day...too bad my spinish salad has been curtailed.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #79
Kevin McKay

Profile:
So the carb load ( 140g yesterday ) kicked my ? What happens during the load do we temporarily switch back from fat to sugar for fuel? (Note: all carbs came from fruit and veggies)

(Message edited by kmckay on September 24, 2006)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #80
Jesse Woody

Profile:
According to the literature, the carb-load (if implemented correctly and for an appropriate amount of time) will replinish muscle glycogen while still keeping your body in fat-burning mode. In order for this to happen, you have to continue to take in a good amount of fat on carb-load days, while keeping your protein moderate. From what I understand, once you've made the switch to a predominately fat-burning metabolism, it will take around 3 days of carb-loading on average to force your body to start relying more on carbs and start laying on bodyfat due to the insulin response.