CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Where do people here weigh in?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I think if Cordain can get in close and work the body he should cut down on any reach advantages Price has. Over 12 rounds Cordain's better fitness will probablt tip the balance....

Seriously, I think they both have good ideas, I'd probably lean a bit more towards Weston Price but still have reservations about the amount of saturated fat.

Use the CF nutrition advise as the basis of your diet and then tweak to find what suits you. Cutting out the crap and upping your veg and fruit will give you the majority of the results
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Both Price and Cordain have greatly contributed to our understanding of optimal nutrition and the hazards of a diet that moves away from whole, natural, unprocessed food.

Unfortunately Cordain's research has been filtered through the bias of political correctness. Cholesterol and saturated fat are viewed in a negative light, even when there source is something extremely healthy like grass-fed free range beef.

Price noted that there was no magic health formula in the groups that he studied. They all ate natural food, but composition - both food choice and macro levels - varied greatly from group to group. Due to their food choices being organic, natural, free-range, etc., the groups had extremely high intakes of vitamins and minerals; especially when compared with the intakes of those in the "modernized world."

Cordain, through his research, found something very similar among H&G groups. Their diets consist of natural, whole, unprocessed food, and the composition of the diet varies from group to group. The main difference is that Cordain advocates avoidance of grains, beans, and dairy due to the fact they are seldom, if ever, found in H&G diets. For the vast majority of people, I think that shifting the focus from the aforementioned foods to more veggies and fruits is a great move.

If someone decides that for whatever reason they do not want to give up milk, grains, and beans, they need to take some time and study Price's work. All the groups that did eat those foods prepared them in special ways - in order to get rid of anti-nutrients and toxins, and make the vitamins and minerals more available.

IMHO, Price's work willl have a lot stronger impact on most people. Though the book is extremely dry, and hard to read at times, the pictures say more than words ever could. Price photographically documented every group he studied, both in their native environment (following their native diet) and in a "modern" evnvironment. The reader is exposed to, in a most dramatic fashion, the physical degeneration that occurs when modernized foods replace native foods. It's a bit odd after reading the book. You'll never really look at people the same again....

Bottom line:
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration and The Paleo Diet should be required reading for anyone interested in nutrition and health.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I'm with Jonathan. Take Cordain's food group selection (meats, fruits, veggies), and add Price's saturated fat and cholesterol. Right now Dr. Eades (www.proteinpower.com) and Anthony Colpo (www.theomnivore.com & www.lowcarbmuscle.com) are the most spot on with dietary recommendations.

Not everyone gets it right all the time (except for me and those people who agree with me).
Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Dr. Eades and Anthony Colpo, without a doubt, endorse what I consider to be an optimal diet.

Michael Eades actually has a fantastic blog that I regularly read:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Not everyone gets it right all the time (except for me and those people who agree with me).
Classic! :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Price was way overpowered on the SNES version but on the Playstation, I think it was pretty much a wash. Seriously, I look at them both (and Eades and Colpo and Devany). There are a lot of unsettled debates among the iconoclasts but they all have enlightened me.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Craig Cooper

Profile:
Winkler, you are the man. The world would be a better place if everyone read The Great Cholesterol Con.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
After a long time of trying to figure out why WAP says one thing and Cordain says another, I think I've found the reason.

Cordain is interested in providing a reasonabale and accessible diet that at the same time provides the body with everything it needs and eliminates all that is harmful. If the average joe were to follow the WAP recommendations while still sticking to domesticated animal products and conventional whole grains he would not likely find himself in a situation that anyone would call "optimal health". This is why Cordain advises against animal fats, grains, legumes, and dairy products. The average American just doesn't have the time or desire to soak all of there grains and legumes nor do they have access to a constant supply of raw-grass-fed dairy products and grass-fed meats. I think this is a distinction that WAP fails to really emphasize the importance of all animal products being pasture fed. Although I strongly disagree with Cordain's cholestophobia, I don't think he's hurting anyone by thinking this way because if the general public were to follow his dietary guidelines they would undoubtedly see a dramtic improvement in health. In conclusion, I have no doubt that, given the right circumstances, the diet advised by WAP is vastly superior to The Paleo Diet as long as all food sources are of organic-pasture-fed quality (and raw if dairy). So:

1) If you're an average joe and you must resort to conventional food products then The Paleo Diet is your best bet.

2) If you by some chance have a constant, reliable source of grass-fed meats and raw-grass-fed dairy products then you should definitely go with WAP.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I think WAP may be wrong about saturated fat percentages--I don't know where these traditional h/g guys would've gotten saturated fats in the amount recommended.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Greg - I agree completely! That's why my diet falls more in line with the recommendations of Cordain. I avoid fatty animal products because I currently do not have the financial resources to secure pasture-fed free-range meat. I replace the fat rhough olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, etc. Worrks well for me.

Yael - I agree with you as well. IMHO, the WAP has its own, sometimes odd, agenda in that they oppose extremism (low fat/low cholesterol) by practicing and preaching extremism (high SFA/high cholesterol). While the organization has a massive amount of great info, there's a fair amount of stuff that I'd rather they did not associate with Price's name...