CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
August Ward

Profile:
What do I need to do?

I have been experimenting/following paleo and zone pretty well for about a month now. Body fat has decreased substantially...would like to gain some lean muscle mass. Any suggestions on changes in nutrition intake or types of food that will help me? I am 6'3" 188 pounds.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Scott Tredennick

Profile:
Re: What do I need to do?

Ditch the zone unless your really attached to neurotic weighing and measuring in which case you should check out 42 ways to skin the zone over at catalyst athletics. If you want to stick with the paleo add in some starchy tubers and some fattier foods to increase overall calories. If you aren't too attached to the paleo, dairy makes for a good addition especially if you can get your hands on raw grassfed milk. Check out crossfit football's nutrition section for better info as they are more tailored towards building strength and size. Other than that congratulate yourself on losing weight and enjoy the benefits of going the other way and eat what makes you happy. Oh, and i forgot to mention: lift heavy objects, put it overhead, and do pretty much anything else that involves a barbell and lots of weight!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
August Ward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tredennick View Post
Ditch the zone unless your really attached to neurotic weighing and measuring in which case you should check out 42 ways to skin the zone over at catalyst athletics. If you want to stick with the paleo add in some starchy tubers and some fattier foods to increase overall calories. If you aren't too attached to the paleo, dairy makes for a good addition especially if you can get your hands on raw grassfed milk. Check out crossfit football's nutrition section for better info as they are more tailored towards building strength and size. Other than that congratulate yourself on losing weight and enjoy the benefits of going the other way and eat what makes you happy. Oh, and i forgot to mention: lift heavy objects, put it overhead, and do pretty much anything else that involves a barbell and lots of weight!
I will continue dont worry, been doin crossfit for about a month now and am obsessed. I will try some of the other things you suggested, appreciate it!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
August Ward

Profile:

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

More protein in the form of meat and eggs, more good fats (olive oil, avocado, coconut milk/oil), more dense carbs.

There's really no secret to gaining weight, it's just a matter of increasing your food intake (drastically, if you're a hard gainer) and lifting heavy while minimizing or eliminating the number of long metcons you're doing. Look at 70s Big, CFFB, or the SWOLE e-book if you need more specific guidance.