CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Help w/ morning sickness?

My wife and I just found out we are expecting another child. We are very excited. However, my wife gets really bad morning sickness. Everyone just says to eat crackers, which she doesn't like to do plus it doesn't help. She has tried ginger root pills but that doesn't seem to help much either. Obviously she can go to the doctor to get meds and it may come to that. Was just wondering and hoping if someone on here perhaps had some thoughts on things to try. Foods to eat? Foods to avoid? Remedy? thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Help w/ morning sickness?

Congrats. Our first baby, my wife had morning sickness almost the whole time. The second pregnancy, which was recently, my wife had morning sickness and was salivating like a rabid dog and had to walk around with a styrofoam cup to spit in. Not sexy. LOL. She went to the doctor and they gave her some meds, which caused other problems so she stopped taking them. My wife also couldn't stand the smell of perfumes or colognes, or even deodorant. LOL. My wife ate much healthier the second time than she did the first, but there were times where her cravings were too much and she ate something that wasn't too healthy. I'd tell your wife to eat whatever her stomach could stand. Try to eat as healthy as she can, but don't eat anything that will make her throw up. What's the point of eating something healthy if it will make you throw up? What really helped my wife was Perrier water. It had to be Perrier and couldn't be any cheap stuff. LOL. Also try fruit, such as bananas or anything she could stand.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

thank you sir for the response. this is our forth. every one she gets sick and stays that way the whole 9 months. she also is very sensitve to smells. the problem with my wife is that she hasn't found any foods she can eat that settle well on her stomach. everything makes her throw up or at a minimum feel so sick she can only lie down and try not to throw up. of course not eating also leaves her feeling bad. was just wondering if some of the nutrition / holistic / paleo / natural food / organic / etc guru's on here may have some suggestions.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Tell her to try the Perrier water. Mix it with regular water if you have to. That really killed morning sickness and allowed her to eat some food.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

If you have access, what about blander root vegetables like yuca? I can get it in the hispanic market, and it's really comforting (more like mashed potatoes) than a flavorful sweet potato or banana that might make her queasy.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Melissa Grilione

Profile:

Congrats! I had the same problem. It SUCKED! Barfed evey single day for weeks, often several times a day. Nothing helped. I could hold down fruit snacks. LOL. I had to quit taking the prenatal vitamins because the iron content made it worse. The goal for women in this situation is just to hold down whatever the heck you can and try to minimize weight loss.
It got better about the fifth month...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

If the Ginger Root doesn't cut it, have her try Magnesium...and more specifically the GLYCINATE form. It's not something you read a whole about for morning sickness, but it has worked well for plenty of women I've worked with who could not stand ginger. Just look for Magnesium Glycinate 200 mg capsules and have her take one to see if it makes a difference and increase to a couple if needed. Magnesium acts as a natural muscle relaxer also, so I love it for soreness/sleep...Hope it works for her.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

thanks. will try the suggestions. anymore are appreciated
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
thanks. will try the suggestions. anymore are appreciated
I think just toughing it out and/or getting some morning sickness pills are the only real options shes got.

Good luck and congrats!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Michael Gray

Profile:

Congratulations!

Ginger root is usually best, although I'm not sure about the pills.
I always like about 3/4" of fresh ginger with an apple in the juicer.

Another one of natures remedies include Raspberry leaves. These are good all the way through pregnancy and provide good nutrition for Mom and Baby.