CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:
Day/Night Before and Morning of Big Race Meal Thoughts!!

First hi this is my first post and I have been on the board for about a month or two now and have got a lot of great help just searching and reading so I'd also like to say THANK YOU!! I could not find much on this here so I figured what a great thread to start.

Whats the best food to eat the night/day before a big race and the morning of. I'm running the tough mudder in VA on Saturday. Start time 12:40. Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as the only thing I can find online is to do a pasta and potato carb load! Not on the paleo/zone I wont be! Right now I'm 40/30/30 and laying off the carbs a little at night and putting more in post wod. Only been xfiting for 4 months now off the main site in a globo so any help from the pros is greatly needed/appreciated.

m/36/250/6'

Thanks Jason
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Michael Boudart

Profile:
Re: Day/Night Before and Morning of Big Race Meal Thoughts!!

Congrats on signing up for a cool endurance event!!

Add some carbs that you're used to eating a couple days before the event. Eat a decent breakfast at least 3-4 hours before the race and take some Gu's or Power Bar gels for during (1 every 45 minutes). Hydrate more than you think you need during the race - don't skip aid station water opportunities.

Sleep at least 8 hrs each night the rest of this week!

Enjoy!

Mb

Last edited by Michael Boudart : 10-19-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Boudart View Post
Congrats on signing up for a cool endurance event!!

Add some carbs that you're used to eating a couple days before the event. Eat a decent breakfast at least 3-4 hours before the race and take some Gu's or Power Bar gels for during (1 every 45 minutes). Hydrate more than you think you need during the race - don't skip aid station water opportunities.

Sleep at least 8 hrs each night the rest of this week!

Enjoy!

Mb
Thanks for the input!
So stay with the same type of carbs, just up the amount. Got it. I'm thinking you dont want me to up the protein or the carbs? Also I was thinking that i'd want a meal an hour before the start. so prob count back three hours and make that breakfast then go back 8 1/2 hours amd make that sleep start?

Thanks Jason
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I would go heavy on the carbs up to 24 hours before the event. The morning of the event I would not go heavy on the carbs as your glycogen should be topped off from the previous day's heavy carb consumption and spiked insulin and inhibit fat burning for energy (which you will want during an endurance event).
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I would go heavy on the carbs up to 24 hours before the event. The morning of the event I would not go heavy on the carbs as your glycogen should be topped off from the previous day's heavy carb consumption and spiked insulin and inhibit fat burning for energy (which you will want during an endurance event).
Okay now thats where the carb up theroy comes from. This may answer some questions and help me understand (link) how can you find out or test for your glycogen level. Whats considered normal?

Thanks Jason
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mayhugh View Post
First hi this is my first post and I have been on the board for about a month or two now and have got a lot of great help just searching and reading so I'd also like to say THANK YOU!! I could not find much on this here so I figured what a great thread to start.

Whats the best food to eat the night/day before a big race and the morning of. I'm running the tough mudder in VA on Saturday. Start time 12:40. Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as the only thing I can find online is to do a pasta and potato carb load! Not on the paleo/zone I wont be! Right now I'm 40/30/30 and laying off the carbs a little at night and putting more in post wod. Only been xfiting for 4 months now off the main site in a globo so any help from the pros is greatly needed/appreciated.

m/36/250/6'

Thanks Jason
* Reduce your training volume and increase CHO intake to ~10gCHO/kg/d in the days leading up to the race.

* On the day of the race eat a light breakfast that provides ~75g of CHO to replenish liver glycogen stores following your overnight fast plus an additional high carb light meal/snack mid-morning to maximise glycogen stores before the start of the race.

* Drink when you're thirsty both before and during the race but don't over do it as you want to avoid hyponatremia.

* Take advantage of any feed stations along the route to take in additional CHO or if feed stations aren't provided arrange for someone to be at the halfway mark with a sports drink.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Jason Mayhugh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
* Reduce your training volume and increase CHO intake to ~10gCHO/kg/d in the days leading up to the race.

* On the day of the race eat a light breakfast that provides ~75g of CHO to replenish liver glycogen stores following your overnight fast plus an additional high carb light meal/snack mid-morning to maximise glycogen stores before the start of the race.

* Drink when you're thirsty both before and during the race but don't over do it as you want to avoid hyponatremia.

* Take advantage of any feed stations along the route to take in additional CHO or if feed stations aren't provided arrange for someone to be at the halfway mark with a sports drink.
Again thanks for the reply but I'm afraid I dont understand that. Can you put that in terms that I can understand? There must be an easier explanition or way to go about a night before/prerace formula. I tried looking up the CHO but could not find much in the way of useable information saying what food or supplements to use in what amounts to get the desired goal. I can see a lot of very knowledgeable people here on the fourm but please remember I'm new and working to get better so thanks for any input that can be kept simple for the new guy over here.

Thanks Jason
Old 10-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mayhugh View Post
Again thanks for the reply but I'm afraid I dont understand that. Can you put that in terms that I can understand? There must be an easier explanition or way to go about a night before/prerace formula. I tried looking up the CHO but could not find much in the way of useable information saying what food or supplements to use in what amounts to get the desired goal. I can see a lot of very knowledgeable people here on the fourm but please remember I'm new and working to get better so thanks for any input that can be kept simple for the new guy over here.

Thanks Jason
CHO = carbohydrate.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Carbohydrate.

FAO.org - The Role of Carbohydrates in Exercise and Physical Performance.

IAAF.org - Nutrition for Athletics.

Olympic.org*- Nutrition for Athletes.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 10-21-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Good luck in your race dude. I've got mine (TriState) coming up in November.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Tony Sutton

Profile:

For short races (5k or 10k) I do not change anything about my diet. I take two days off from lifting prior to the race to ensure adequate recovery and my normal eating should top off any depletion in glycogen stores.

The two days off prior really helps my performance, so I would try it out. I picked this up from Hal Higdon's training guide.

http://www.halhigdon.com/