CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Greg, I also go to a straight blast gym www.spartanfitness.net, and my instructor didn't use much protective gear (certainly not helmets), but we are safe (the worst injury I have suffered is a bloody ear from getting slammed on the mat...on my ear). Maybe we will start using helmets and such, but I haven't seen any yet.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
:wtf:

That video was pretty retarded. Thanks for taking 9 minutes of my life, I'll have to be more careful next time.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
Sean Herndon

Profile:
the only thing I saw in that video worth noting is the poor grasp of the english language. I didnt see any Krav in there, though.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I nebr war helmbuts eder.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Nathanial Neal

Profile:
Nice how he used fighters that were on the top of thier game in the 90's. Someone should make one showing how good military fighting systems are now, and use Fedor.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
I'm a boxer, so I'll withhold judgement on their striking and grappling techniques, but did you read the philosophy section of that SBG site? It was like a transcript of a high school sleepover.

God, I've been reading "we train for teh STR33Tz, y0!" articles since I picked up my first black belt magazine in 1988. And the minute I see balls-out street fights going on ANYWHERE, I guess I will too. Right now, I stand by what Shihan told me when I was eight: The best street fighting move is to turn and run the away.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I may be talking out my a** but it won't be the first time. I have some background in BJJ (brown belt) and have been exposed to, but am not competent in, Krav Maga. In my experience, KM is more about how one trains than specific techniques. That is not to say that KM doesn't consist of techniques or is not technical. What I have seen is that a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick for the most part.

What makes KM different is the way it is taught. I was very impressed with this aspect of KM. Jeff M. and his group, when I was able to train with them, did a great job of conveying the idea of viewing self-defense as just that; self-defense. Further, they pointed out how important, given one is training for self-defense, to train under duress and in stressful conditions. This is where KM is, in my experience, different from other arts or disciplines.

It is my contention that if one wants to be a great "fighter", KM might not be the best choice. I think BJJ is great for this. However, if self-defense is what one is after, I would highly recommend a good KM school.

Just my $.02
Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #18
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Kevin, don't let a youtube video make your choice for you. Observe a KM class and decide for yourself. Jeff Martin put on a great KM seminar at CrossFit HQ a while back.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Kevin Burns

Profile:
You are all correct and that was silly of me to base my opinon on one dumb video.... but the video did make one point.. that you have to do real fighting to learn how any martial art works. long time ago i saw a boxer totally take apart a tae kwon do student and later found out that the place the tkd guy trained for years never did any real-life sparring.

i have a krav place near me.. i'm gonna go check it out this week. i'll report back
Old 08-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #20
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:
I've seen a few krav maga guys, videos and had the privledge to witness a few classes. That being said, from what I've seen, it is not practical at all, it's mostly marketing. The Modern Army Combatives is based off of modern bjj and MMA. The results from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan have proven the legitimacy of the training styles and methods. Matt Larsen has about 350 AARs from Iraq and Afghanistan utilizing MAC. All instances involved grappling. He is happy to talk about them as much as you want and will answer posts on the soldierground on MMA.tv.