CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #21
Steven Mooso

Profile:
Re: Question on crossfit box etiquette

happened again yesterday with a different guy this time....we were about 2-3 reps apart on burpee's and next thing you know...he's calling time...I still had about 15 to go....

I guess I'll take it this way...I'm just figuring out who I can workout next to, so we can push each other.

I think he was ****ed or whatever due to the fact the the girl he was working out next to on the opposite side of him, got done with the wod about 4 mins before him...

This is the first couple times I've seen this happen so I was just wondering if this was a common thing...I guess it happens more than I thought...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mooso View Post
This is the first couple times I've seen this happen so I was just wondering if this was a common thing...I guess it happens more than I thought...
Yes, it happens. For some folks, ego is at stake in this stuff.

And, even though you say that you aren't trying to win at exercise, the fact that you are so aware of where you are relative to the others around you still tells me that you are trying to win.

You have a singular responsibility there -- you and your performance. Focus on that and take your mind off of everyone else. If you feel you need to select who to workout next to (which I still think is stupid), then do it based on your knowledge of the level of effort that they put out, not based on whether or not you think you can or should beat them.

I regularly position myself near a particular individual whom I know (for now) that I can beat. I do it not because I know I can beat him but because I know that he nearly always puts his full effort into the workout. His focus, minimal rest, and work intensity tend to motivate me, and I can feel all of that without actually having to actively pay attention to him. It's obvious from just being nearby, and it rubs off.

Really, just let it go. You really should have no awareness -- and shouldn't give a rip -- where you are relative to the others. You're there for your fitness, not for awards.

- Mark
Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

if someone cheats they are really cheating themselves. if you do you best then in your heart you know that and reap the benefits.. getting fitter, stronger etc.. if you cheat then it is all illusion ...

ultimately altho i am competitive , i know when have have given the best i could at that particular time and i have learned to be content with that and then aim higher the next time

cheers

H
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
Mike.Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
happened again yesterday with a different guy this time....we were about 2-3 reps apart on burpee's and next thing you know...he's calling time...I still had about 15 to go....

I guess I'll take it this way...I'm just figuring out who I can workout next to, so we can push each other.

I think he was ****ed or whatever due to the fact the the girl he was working out next to on the opposite side of him, got done with the wod about 4 mins before him...

I guess I never looked at the crossfit workouts as a competition with other people. I'm there for me, could care less what the person next to me is doing in regards to their workout.

If someone needs to shave 5 reps off each set to get through the workout, good on them. If someone wants to cut corners on the workouts to finish faster, good on them.

I look at this way - I have the box "rented" for an hour. I'm there to sweat, do as much work in that hour and go home. If I have to shortcut a workout to get through it, that's all good.

I've seen people shortcut workouts, I've seen people claim to "RX" a workout and be under the weight for the workout. That's their business

Unless they start handing out prizes, could care less what "other people's" times are. I look at the other people in the box as teammates, not competition. While I certainly think it's obnoxious to scream out "TIME!!!" to the whole gym if you've cut the workout in half, it doesn't bother me when someone does it.

They just get to rest for a few minutes, while I grind through the REAL WOD and do my best. If your best is cutting reps on purpose, and trying to "impress" everyone around you by blatently cheating time and weight, I guess that's your best!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
Clint Harris

Profile:

We all mess up from time to time, but in my experience, most of the people in the gym know who the creative counters are and it's just a big joke. Especially if they walk around with some air-lats thinking they're big dog. LOLOLOLOL!
Oftentimes, I like working out next to them - because you know if you keep pace or beat them, you're flying (and you can let out a big laugh when they blatantly short change something). In chippers I find it a bit of an inspiration; if I'm struggling to keep going and I notice they're getting close, it gives me some extra motivation to go at those last reps. I love to beat them and don't care if they beat me. Anyone else who counts properly, I don't care if I beat them or they beat me. (except for the people who you are typically evenly competitive with). It's just exercise and a source of fun.

@Mike. I pretty much never yell time and find it hilarious when people do. I just look at the clock and eventually tell coach what my time was. Sometimes I will just say time but not yell it for the world. I also crack up during the weekend team WODs. Some people yell that time like it's the end of the world - all three or 4 of them. I don't even look at the clock on those weekend team wods - all I had was a good time (being miserable ???)

Last edited by Clint Harris : 07-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
David A Hunt

Profile:

It just depends who the person is who is cheating or bad form. If you don't know them, suck it up and don't say anything. As you get to know them better, call them out on it, almost jokingly and challenge them to do it the right way.
But I wouldn't start harping on people that you don't know or are just getting to know and I wouldn't mention it to the coaches because you'll probably just be perceived as a whiner.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Austin Benson

Profile:

This is one of the reasons I get to the gym early. I love watching a guy who cheats on movements and his number of reps. I don't call him out though. If you noticed it, chances are others have as well, and he'll get that reputation at the gym as a cheater. I just try to use that pent up frustration i have towards that person as fuel for when I workout.

On another note, if the person is new, definitely give him a heads up. When I first started, I had no clue wall balls involved a squat. I looked like a complete idiot for about 15 reps, especially when I started throwing in a little jump. Also learned the hard way on what an amrap meant. I just thought I did really good to be finished before everyone else.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
David Wisniewski

Profile:  

Quote:
Don't be a busy-body. You don't know that person's situation, their mobility, etc. Leave the coaching to the coaches and MYOB. A best, people will ignore you, and worst, they'll start staying away from you.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Thomas Kilvaer

Profile:

I would only call someone out if they clearly are going to hurt themselves. Otherwise its their loss
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #30
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Alright, I've been biting my tongue on this for a while but I have to jump in. I lift at what most of you would call "Globo gyms" so I prob have a different perspective. When I see someone doing something stupid or cutting corners I generally laugh and talk real loud about them to my training partner with the hopes that they hear it. I gave up trying to help people long ago unless they come up to me and ask. My valuable opinion has been ignored too many times.

A decent reason (other than if they are about to hurt themselves) to correct or offer advice is because the people around you are REPRESENTING CROSSFIT, which since you are here, might be fairly important to you. As a globo-gym cat, 90% of the crossfitters I see are completely jacked up and making your precious past time look like clown shoes. So maybe the bra or chica next to you cutting corners might not be at that gym forever....maybe they will venture out into the world and make others think that crossfit is totally laughable with their terrible techniques. Might matter to you, might not.....just something to think about.