CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #21
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: paleo to MREs?

Even if you ate every single meal as an MRE its a couple of months out of your life. I know its the crossfit way but focusing on the minutiae is counterproductive in this instance. Food quality will be of 0 concern. You mentioned walking a few times with a 15lb. ruck which leads me to believe you may not be at the "elite" spectrum of fitness so really you should be focusing on fitness, food quality, not so much.

When you are sleeping under a truck in 120 degree heat over in the middle east with ied's and snipers around every corner, paleo will be the last thing you are thinking about. Just pay attention to what your taught that is your only concern in basic.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #22
Mike Barin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Even if you ate every single meal as an MRE its a couple of months out of your life. I know its the crossfit way but focusing on the minutiae is counterproductive in this instance. Food quality will be of 0 concern. You mentioned walking a few times with a 15lb. ruck which leads me to believe you may not be at the "elite" spectrum of fitness so really you should be focusing on fitness, food quality, not so much.

When you are sleeping under a truck in 120 degree heat over in the middle east with ied's and snipers around every corner, paleo will be the last thing you are thinking about. Just pay attention to what your taught that is your only concern in basic.
Best advice here.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
Henry Thomas Williams III

Profile:

Quote:

Also agree, and I used to know a Rob Samuels at Fort Campbell back in the day. We even hit the gym together sometimes. If I'm on the right track, shoot me a PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #24
Jessica E Murphy

Profile:

Quote:

Totally agree. I guess what I originally meant by not having access to organic stuff and grass-fed beef was more of an example. I know once I get there I'll be ready to eat whatever they put in front of me. I suppose I'm mostly concerned with how my body reacts with that. I've noticed some dairy and gluten allergies but if I just gotta suck it up for a few months, I'm okay with that. I'd rather be in tip top shape without the allergies but that's easy to deal with. And I guess I'm not "elite" but how many people actually incorporate rucking into their day? All my friends who serve never rucked before they left. I just would like to prep my body as much as I can. But again, I totally agree with you on the fitness over food. I have been focusing on my fitness the last 5-6 months and am starting to go back to eating junky foods..which my gut doesn't like so much
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

If you concentrated on running over rucking you will be more than fine. Basic is not a ruck intensive course. Fine that you are practicing but again focusing on priorities, go in being able to max your PFT and you will be more than prepared for any rucking.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #26
Glenn Hyzak

Profile:

Let's make CrossFit MRE's how about Rogue Paleo MRE's!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hyzak View Post
Let's make CrossFit MRE's how about Rogue Paleo MRE's!!!
Rogue Fitness does sell a Paleo MRE (w/f safe).

This is as good as it comes for a Paleo alternative to the MRE (meal ready to eat) that has over 1000 calories and a shelf life of at least 2 years.

Little else in the Paleo spectrum will keep as long to qualify as an MRE for soldiers in the field.

But I'm sure most seasoned soldiers will tell you best bet is to have great hunting and gathering skills and carry as little food as possible!